• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to me, HK PSG1. Very detailed overview inside.

firegs

Private
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2011
Hellertown, PA
As requested, a detailed breakdown of a new-to-me HK PSG1 sold to me by SH member todd606. Promised a range report - here you go!

Where, oh where to begin?

w6OICvk.jpg

This is the HK PSG1. I'm sure you've seen it before and recognize it. It's touted as the worlds most accurate semi-auto precision platform ever developed. This rifle is said to have been developed in response to the Munich Massacre at the 1972 Summer Olympics. The West German police units could not engage the terrorists fast enough to prevent them from killing the hostages. Heckler & Koch was then commissioned to create a high accuracy, large shot capacity, semi-automatic rifle for police and military use. The result has a long and outstanding reputation as an extremely reliable and high performance rifle; commonly associated with elite sniper units.

Due to its high cost and government import restriction, the number of PSG1 in the United States is as of 2005 at fewer than 400, mostly in the hands of wealthy private collectors says Wikipedia. (I guess that's me now?) Consequently, contrary to popular belief, only a very few law enforcement agencies make use of the PSG1.

I found this rifle for sale on SnipersHide and was able to sell off my entire Tan HK Pistol collection to fund it. In my opinion, this PSG is cooler than those seven pistols combined. My rifle is not NIB. It has been used. The asking price was $13,700 shipped. Most NIB PSG1's fetch between $15,000 and $17,000.

xp7LX38h.jpg

Above is the factory PSG1 Aluminum case. As you can see, this rifle has been moved around a lot. From what I understand from the seller, this PSG1 used to belong to the City of Troy, NY. The gentleman I bought this rifle from bought it from an ex-LEO Sniper from Troy, NY. It was hs duty weapon. He recieved it late in his career and subsequently only fired about 550 rounds before he left the force (sorry - service. Official vocab guidelines state that 'force' sounds too aggressive) and was able to buy it from the department.

The Department had two PSG1s, codenamed "ALPHA" and "BETA". As you can see here - this is "ALPHA", written in black Sharpie.

IFxhmGbh.jpg

It's a little hard to see, but there once was a sticker/tag on the one lock that notes "PROPERTY OF City of Troy". It may have said more at one point - who knows.

Fzbtmvuh.jpg

Ahh. And here she is. The PSG1.

Sporting a 25.6 inch cold hammer forged polygonal rifled barrel, the PSG1 has a strengthened receiver to minimize torque, the famous (and heavy) PSG1 fully adjustable buttstock, and a clip on trigger group with wooden handle adjustable for hand size. The gun comes as a package in an aluminum case as pictured above. The Garbini tripod is the final accessory, though some also came with a bipod.

zkXOFQHh.jpg

GcaiWoPh.jpg

4676JgTh.jpg

Mine has a KC Date code on the receiver, making this a 1992 firearm - one imported during the height of the '89 AWB which banned the PSG1 by name. What is interesting to note is the caliber marking - my HK91 is not marked at all. Most HK rifles made for civilians are marked with ".223 Remington" or ".308 Win" - this is marked for the NATO 7.62x51 round.

The "44" prefix of the serial number denotes that this is a real PSG. HK changed over to a number prefix in their serials after 1989. Before that, PSG1's had a "D" prefix. My 1980 HK91 is "A" prefixed, whereas post '89 HK 91's are "41" prefixed.

4IUlSg6h.jpg

Here's the famous Red HK User Manual. Here's some links to really hard to find PSG1 Manuals that I was able to find.

PSG1 Armorers Manual

PSG1 Schematics

PSG1 Updated English Manual

Le0GER9h.jpg

All PSG1s are free of iron sights but come mounted with the Hensoldt 6×42 scope with illuminated reticle, a heavy free-floating barrel and adjustable stock. The PSG11 comes without iron sights because the adjustable cheekpiece of the stock places the shooter's head too high to use iron sights.

bD1aT3Ch.jpg

The PSG-1 is mechanically based on the G3 rifle but features a low-noise bolt closing device (similar to the forward assist on the M16A1/A2/A3/A4) to allow the shooter to remain silent until a shot is fired. I tried to use it - its not THAT silent, but much quieter than using a tradition HK-slap, or just letting the bolt fly.

uXKeUSbh.jpg

The rifle also features a removable and adjustable trigger unit, for further individual fitting of the rifle. The trigger has whats called a "Trigger Shoe" that extends the width of the actual trigger making it VERY comfortable to shoot. The shoe is adjustable up and down to fit the shooters need. The pistol grip is of a target-type with an adjustable palm shelf. The pull weight is reported to be in the 3-4lb range. A little slack/uptake, then a crisp break.

3Xs1HAfh.jpg

The PSG-1 stock is of high impact plastic, matte black in color can be adjusted in all directions to perfectly fit anybody using it. It is adjustable for length, pivoting butt cap and includes a vertically-adjustable cheekpiece. When removed from the rifle, you'll notice how HEAVY the damn stock is by itself.

cy9A2iLh.jpg

Here is the PSG1 field stripped. Please note that while all HK91s/G3s, 93s/33s/53s, 94s/MP5s are by deisgn free-floating barrels (where the cocking tube DOES NOT touch the front sight tower), the PSG takes it to a whole different level. The classic G3 barrel trunion is vastly extended forward to aid in securing the barrel more and reducing barrel whip, but also is there to support the cocking tube. The barrel only touches the trunion and nothing else.

otqxEeRh.jpg

What is very strange is that my PSG1 has different date codes on different parts of the gun. For example, here is the barrel markings. IA (1980) on a KC (1992) gun. Also shown is the pre-"44" prefix serial number, "01962".

f54Wlich.jpg

Here is the bolt group. It differs from the G3/HK91 in a few areas. You'll notice that ther bolt carrier has a series of serrations. This is what the forward assist interfaces with - much like an AR15 bolt carrier.

P90vOAoh.jpg

You can see here that the bolt carrier is marked "II" for 1988, and the bolt head is marked "IJ" for 1989. I'm told by HK experts that it was commonplace for Police Departments to swap around parts as needed. Especially with PSG1's.

msg90802mmlr.jpg

The rollers inside the bolt head are somewhat half-moon/crescent shaped as opposed to round like HK G3s or HK91's. Rollers will wear and they generally wear unevenly. This change to the roller design ensured that when the bolt locked up, the rollers were in the exact same position every single time.

psgbolthead_1808_detail.jpg

You can see here a much more BEEFED up Extractor was built into the PSG1 bolt head.

bpStjkph.jpg

Here is the Hensoldt ZF 6x42PSG1. I love how "PSG1" is a part of the model name. PSG1s are not supplied with iron sights but come equipped with the Hensoldt ZF6x42PSG1 scope with an illuminated reticle. The scope has a built-in range adjustment feature which can be adjusted from 100m to 600m. It features a "Euro Duplex" reticle - just a standard crosshair. No additional hash marks.

aTWbFuyh.jpg

Here is the Garbini "Loga System" tripod that shipped with most PSG1s. The three legs are removable for storage and transportation.

RWOexmYh.jpg

2bIIUosh.jpg

Here it is all set up. Inside the cup of the tripod is a sort of hard, rubbery material to interface with the plastic PSG1 handguard.

GNOJswIh.jpg

When set up, it is adjustable for height...

8XtkjGoh.jpg

...as well as windage..

0WzDTbeh.jpg

...and cant. This tripod is GREAT for benchrest shooting.

AMpDPSCh.jpg

The PSG1 I bought came with five (one not pictured) steel, date coded magazines (3x 20s, 2x 5s), and original sling.

siyltFfh.jpg

Here she is out at the range today - our first outing. Isnt she lovely? I used Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr Sierra Match King rounds. My first few groups were a little rocky, in the 1.5-2moa range - but thats because I didnt notice that the rear leg of the tripod was OFF the bench when I was leaning into it. After that fix, my groups became SUPER tight.

7ZWSRICh.jpg

oMpo9S4h.jpg

These were the best two. I was only able to shoot about one box today. Time constraints.

PRxruVfh.jpg

And here she is with the rest of my 30-caliber HK guns.

THANK YOU, Todd!

Wow. That is one sweet piece. I'm jealous. Nice write up! do you plan on keeping the factory optic on it?

Wow. That is one sweet piece. I'm jealous. Nice write up! do you plan on keeping the factory optic on it?

Hard to say. Its not bad by any stretch. It *COULD* be an S&B, though, too. I'm seriously cash poor for the moment. Factory Hensoldt it is for now!

I have only seen one "real" PSG-1 and that was at the OGCA show in Ohio many years back and it was far from inexpensive then.

Nice stick!

WOW! truly bad ass. Thank you for the update! Awesome collection by the way.

Great write-up...I am curious...Does the PSG-1 beat up and flute the brass like the other H&K series of rifles? I had a H&K 93 years ago and the main reason I sold was it beat the crap out of brass and as a new reloader that just ticked me off. If I had known what it would have been worth today it may not have bothered me as much but that is what it is.

P.S. You are truly an H&K connoisseur based upon your family of rifles --kudos!

Very cool and great write-up, I guess that PSG-8 kept you amused until you got the real thing, Congrats!

I think I just had an out-of-body experience.

Thanks for posting. Your HK collection is amazing!!!

That rifle belongs with you.

It's nice to find someone who isn't stuffing it in a safe and hiding it for an investment. I don't think the 'Hide has ever had a PSG1 report like that. Wow.

Again, Congrats... and, yes, it's cooler than the pistols. You can get more pistols. You'll never get another PSG 1 like that with an LE history and as perfectly provenanced.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Fantastic write up. I am truly jealous, I have wanted a PSG-1 for years. I'm glad this one went to someone who would shoot it.

Thanks for taking the time,

-Bob

Thank you, everyone!

I may do an addendum over the weekend. Theres some things I wish I had taken a picture of and explained better. I'll post here if/when I do.

Thank you for taking your time and write up the novel and attaching all the erotic pictures. Oh my god, she is so sexy.

I had a serious ache for one of these rifles after reading the range report in NRA's "American Rifleman" years ago. Their 100yd 5-shot groups were out-of-this-world good - better than most published groups I'd seen in any of the gun rags for a 308 bolt rifle. Finally got to see one when Phil Singletary (sp?) - then an HK rep - put on live-fire demos during consecutive USPSA Area 3 Championship matches at Chapman's Range near Columbia, Mo. back in the late '80s/early 90s.

Cool, very cool - I envy you.

Judging by which came first, I can see where Magpul may have got inspiration for the PRS and isn't that a Panther grip?

Last edited:
Very awesome sir. Just to ask, how would an amourer replace the barrel on this?

Remove the weld on either side of the receiver, drill out the barrel pin, and use a shop press to push the barrel out, IIRC.

Nice write up there fergus, wouldn't it be a hoot if someone here actually had a good bit of duty time behind this rifle and ran across this thread with some additional insight?

Did you get your offspring to shoot those groups for you? I didn't think you were a group shooter- J/K!! nice work there too mr.

Too COOL! I have a HK SR-9TC but marked as only a T. About the closest you could get to a PSG-1 with out paying the $15000. Mine is accurate but no where near the PSG-1. That has always been one of my favorite sniper rigs but I am sure that it is somewhat of a boat anchor. Just Sayin'...

Very awesome sir. Just to ask, how would an amourer replace the barrel on this?

I'm fairly certain they had to go back to the factory (Germany) for re-barrel. I remember a thread on here where Kevin Boland mentioned it was something stupid like more than half the cost of the rifle to rebarrel ($6-8k). This is how it was SUPPOSED to be done back in the day if your agency/unit/entity had the support of HK.

Wow!

That rifle still remains as one of my must - have "Dream Guns," right up there with the Walther WA2000. Gems from a bygone era...

I am genuinely envious!

Great writeup.

If you ever get into the trigger group for cleaning, could you please post some pictures. I am curious how it differs from the horrendous G3 trigger.

I had the opportunity to spend some quality time at the range with a PSG1 one afternoon back in the late 1980's and I have lusted for one ever since.

Congratulations on acquiring a great rig and thanks for sharing it with us.

Thank you for sharing!

I just love it when super cool, collectible guns go to homes like yours, where it will be kept safe, maintained, and ENJOYED (by many).

Hate it when they get locked away, only to surface again when the owner dies.

Last edited:
One of the coolest posts I've seen here in awhile. Very awesome, thanks for sharing. I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say we need more range reports!

I'm envious. I have a remake PTR 91 but it shoots nothing like that. Thanks for posting.

I had a HK-91 that I bought back in 86' and I put the PSG-1 trigger in it and the claw mount and a decent scope and it was a hammer. The rifle of yours is a piece of art and will be something to enjoy forever. I'm sure the value will increase as well dramatically over time. Great collection and great report, thanks for sharing.