• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New to Optics: Need an Education

buyobuyo

Private
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2010
Camden, AR
Earlier this year, I picked up a used hunting rifle (older Savage 110L in .308) with a scope on it (My first scoped gun). I'm interested in replacing the scope, base, and rings that came with it because:
1) I can't find any info about the scope
-- Only markings are "Monte Carlo", 4x40, Japan [Y inside Triangle]
2)I would like to put see-through rings on it so I have the option of using the iron sights
3)I would like to switch to a two piece base to make loading easier

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on my ideas and any product suggestions you have. As well as what your recommendations would be for power, objective diameter, and reticle. I would like to stay within a price range of less than $500 for everything (scope/base/rings).

Thanks, Jeremy

Also, if you have any recommendations for a setup that would mount to the carry handle on an AR let me know. I would just be for plinking/load development work, so say a total budget of <$250(??).

Re: New to Optics: Need an Education

I would recommend against the see-through rings! The reason for the scope is to increase the accuracy of the rifle. With rings that high, cheek weld will be inconsistent at best, and will deter from you using the optic and rifle well. If short ranges are a concern, get a scope with a low mag range such as a 1.5-6. This will allow close shots (with a wide field of view for ease of finding the target) and enough magnification for longer shots as well.
As far as a two piece base system, I would recommend Talley ultra lights.

Re: New to Optics: Need an Education

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: billyburl2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would recommend against the see-through rings! The reason for the scope is to increase the accuracy of the rifle. With rings that high, cheek weld will be inconsistent at best, and will deter from you using the optic and rifle well. If short ranges are a concern, get a scope with a low mag range such as a 1.5-6. This will allow close shots (with a wide field of view for ease of finding the target) and enough magnification for longer shots as well.
As far as a two piece base system, I would recommend Talley ultra lights. </div></div>
I agree with the above post. What ever rings and mounts you decide on don't go cheap. Get good steel rings. There are many good makers depending on your budget. Leupold, Burris, Warne to name a few. Wether you get low, medium, high or extra high rings will be determined by the diameter of the Bell of the scope you choose.