• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

New to Precision Rifles and looking for guidance.

LEDshooter

Private
Banned !
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2011
Florida, USA
First of all this is my second post (my first was an introduction thread) and I know very little about precision shooting so be gentle. lol
I am former military and former LE, but never had the opportunity to go through any formal training in regards to the precision stuff. I've built my own AR15s in the past and have an extensive background in handguns as well, but learning how to dial in a scope and hitting a target with one shot has always fascinated me. I guess you could say it's something that's been on my bucket list to learn for a long time.

Anyway, since I am a beginner I was researching what platform to start with. Now since I am already familiar with the AR platform I thought maybe a MK 12 setup would be good in 5.56mm or I was thinking maybe just a standard Rem 700SPS in .308.

The limitations that I have are access to ranges 200 yds or less (mostly 100yd ranges) and ammo availability. The .223 ammo is cheaper and readily available in my area where .308 I might have to order online in bulk to get a good price.

I haven't even really started to look at optics yet, but I do know good optics make or break a precision rifle and can cost as much as the rifle itself. I will cross that bridge when I get there.

Well I think that's about it and I'll shut up now and let you guys respond. Thanks ahead for all the input and I look forward to learning all I can here on this board.
wink.gif

Re: New to Precision Rifles and looking for guidance.

Well welcome to the hide, I am not sure what to reply to your post, it sounds like you have a good thought on where you want to start. I can agree that since you have extensive knowledge with the ar platforms that you can stick with something you are somewhat familar with, Good Luck

Budget tends to dictate what kind of equipment and setup you're able to build. So how much are you looking to spend?

I was probably just going to put together another lower with a match trigger and then look at getting a SPR type upper. With a decent optic I was hoping to keep it around $1500, but I know optics can get expensive depending.

What I would really like to do is take a precision rifle class for beginners somewhere. I'm currently looking around my area for that as well.

Welcome.

I have been in your shoes, literally, while i am fascinated with bolt actions's ive never owned/shot one. I chose the AR platform for my first precision based rifle because i am used/comfortable with it.

As mentioned budget is very important and you'll probably go well over, plan for it.

I assume you plan to build it... If so, concentrate on a trigger and barrel for the rifle, then make sure to get a quality optic.

I've recently learned ammo is also a big factor, you'll have to figure out what works for you.

Theres a lot to study and learn, good luck.

go with the Rem 700, it is easier to develop good precision rifle skills on a bolt action and harder to pick up bad habits than when shooting a semi-auto. Vortex,Weaver, and SWFA SS all have reasonably priced tactical scopes of good quality.

You might not like what I have to recommend but for getting the basics down and not having to break the bank have you considered building a custom .22LR? Or even a 17 HMR? You get maximum trigger time for your dollar and with light 22 and 17 cal bullets wind and bullet drop become very evident at even 100 yards.

I also forgot to mention. The Ruger 10/22 has almost endless customization options as does the AR-15. Look at Tactical solutions, volquartsen and, green mountain just to name a few.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cooper_257</div><div class="ubbcode-body">go with the Rem 700, it is easier to develop good precision rifle skills on a bolt action and harder to pick up bad habits than when shooting a semi-auto. Vortex,Weaver, and SWFA SS all have reasonably priced tactical scopes of good quality. </div></div>

I would say Cooper is right, A Remington 700 SPS Tactical can be had ready to shoot for 615.00 if you shop around maybe even cheaper. then you can spend the rest of your budget on a good scope and rings. Upgrade the unit as money allows.

I recommend Remington R5. You can pick one up on gunbroker for 950. If you plan on spending alot of coin on a scope buy the SPS, and use the rest of the 1500 on scope. Vortex Viper PST and SWFA SS is a good scope for the money.

Thanks guys. I will look into the Ruger 10/22 and the Rem 700. I've seen a couple of Rem 700 with optics already on them at my local shop so I will go by and take a look. The Ruger 10/22 is pretty cheap so maybe I can even afford to get both. You can never have enough guns right? lol

My only long gun is an AR15 so it's time I started building up my rifle collection anyway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LEDshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys. I will look into the Ruger 10/22 and the Rem 700. I've seen a couple of Rem 700 with optics already on them at my local shop so I will go by and take a look. The Ruger 10/22 is pretty cheap so maybe I can even afford to get both. You can never have enough guns right? lol

My only long gun is an AR15 so it's time I started building up my rifle collection anyway. </div></div>

@ LED....10/22's are great,but highly addictive,if you get bit by the bug customizing them,they can get very expensive.......ask me how I know........
grin.gif

Welcome.
Ive been in your shoes and also have a mk12 clone and love it. I say go with the AR platform. Depending on your branch of service and experience, you might have a good grasp on the fundamentals of marksmanship with the AR's that you can build on.

I'm going to buck the trend and ask what your AR is? You might want to research optics first and shoot what you all ready own out to your maximum range. This will teach you a lot. You can try better triggers and different ammo. It will help you decide between bolt and AR.

For training look at Rifles only on line training right here on the Hide. I did and was suprised by what I learned. It is a great place to start.

If you only get out to 100 yards a smaller caliber would probably be better. .308 is a great round, but are you going to develop better habits shooting it than say .17?

Maybe a bolt .223? Keep one caliber so you don't have to buy different kinds of ammo. You said that is easy to find near you.

I wouldn't rule out a 10-22 either. With .22 at under $20 for 500 rounds, that is a lot of trigger time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Magstang1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you only get out to 100 yards a smaller caliber would probably be better. .308 is a great round, but are you going to develop better habits shooting it than say .17?

Maybe a bolt .223? Keep one caliber so you don't have to buy different kinds of ammo. You said that is easy to find near you.

I wouldn't rule out a 10-22 either. With .22 at under $20 for 500 rounds, that is a lot of trigger time. </div></div>very good Point ,now learning the time on target with recoil is one must be learned ,the greater the caliber, the more is counted ..for costs of ammo is other one ..ar-15 still one of the best ways to learn ...

Welcome to the hide and yell if you need anything!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sebben</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You might not like what I have to recommend but for getting the basics down and not having to break the bank have you considered building a custom .22LR? Or even a 17 HMR? You get maximum trigger time for your dollar and with light 22 and 17 cal bullets wind and bullet drop become very evident at even 100 yards. </div></div>

I like what Sebben is saying, and have to agree, especially if you are on a budget.

Welcome to the 'Hide. What about a 22" short action .223 bolt-gun set up for 80gr VLD's to the lands from the magazine with a 3.5-15x50 NF on top? 24.5 RE15 in any brass should get you 2825fps with a .516BC bullet and that means supersonic to 1000, no sweat.

LEDSHOOTER, Definately Start with the Rem 700 sps. I adamantly recommend you immediately swap out the stock and upgrade the trigger. Semi's can be be very close in accuracy and at times just as accurate but seem to require better fundamentals and practice to acheive the same results (Just something I've personally noticed not based on any facts). For this reason I say the Rem. is the way to start. Also Start looking into reloading, if your going to be serious about your new hobby, good ammo and trigger time is the key to this game. Also if you look around you will see that living in FLA. you are not just limited to 100-200td. shooting. There are several long ranges including Manatee (1000yd). Location is important but I, for example, living in South FLA. make a 3.5 hour drive (when possible)to Manatee. If you live in central or North FLA. then your in luck since you will find atleast a Handful of long ranges nearby or a shorter drive away.