• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to Precision Rifles...

PabloPlutarco

Senior Delinquent
Minuteman
  • Dec 31, 2008
    NY
    And I need help making an informed decision. Have been doing a bit of research over the past few months, trying to decide which way to go with my first precision rifle. I have considerable experience with the AR-15/M-16 platform, but now I want to learn techniques for long distance shooting, without needing a 2nd mortgage. Possible rifle choices are:
    1) Ruger RPR (.308), upgraded with Magpul PRS Gen 3 buttstock and Seekins forend.
    2) Mossberg MVP Precision (.308).
    3) Remington 700 SPS Tactical (.308), dropped into either an MDT TAC 21 chassis or a KRG Whiskey-3 chassis.
    Have already picked out an Altas bipod and a Vortex Viper PST FFP scope to go on the rifle. Which strategy is worthwhile, or is there another possibility that I may have overlooked?
    Thanks in advance for the advice.

Is there a reason you're going with a .308? There are better options for your first go (260, 6.5 CM).

As for a rifle, the R700 (or a clone) and the aforementioned Tikka would give you the most upgrade options. I've never handled the Mossberg, so can't comment much there. A friend got an RPR as his first precision rifle. It shoots pretty well, but he's soured slightly on it due to the configuration. The few times I shot it, it was alright, but I wasn't blown away.

I’d do a Tikka tac a1. Smooth actions, accurate, and already setup in a decent chassis. I like 6.5cm also fwiw.

Reactions: Boltyboi
    The issue with factory mass produced rifles is you may get a good one and you may get one that shoots like sh*t. I've had this conversation with numerous people when they ask me for advice. It always ends up the same. They disregard what I say then end up selling the rifle at a loss and doing what I suggested in the first place. You don't need to spend 5K on a rifle but the ones you've mentioned are a dice roll, especially the Rem 700. I'd buy a budget custom action and a quality prefit barrel before I purchased any of the rifles you mentioned. I don't know about you, but my free time is limited and valuable and I don't want to spend range time pissed off because of less than stellar results. Then I'd save up for training or subscribe to Lowlights online training.

With that sort of budget, I'd get a tikka if you want the best action this side of custom, or bergara if you want r700 compatibility. Then throw it into any chassis you want. Rpr has some issues, you better like dealing with a sub par action and love the chassis becuase you are married to it.

You can afford better, so dont fuck around with Remington (qc is shit these days), savage, ruger, or especially mossberg if you want a platform you can build on that will never hold you back.

If you want a cheeper rifle than the two above then go howa in a krg.

Dont go .308. Get a 6.5cm if you care about barrel life, or a 6cm if you reload and dont.

And I need help making an informed decision. Have been doing a bit of research over the past few months, trying to decide which way to go with my first precision rifle. I have considerable experience with the AR-15/M-16 platform, but now I want to learn techniques for long distance shooting, without needing a 2nd mortgage. Possible rifle choices are:
    1) Ruger RPR (.308), upgraded with Magpul PRS Gen 3 buttstock and Seekins forend.
    2) Mossberg MVP Precision (.308).
    3) Remington 700 SPS Tactical (.308), dropped into either an MDT TAC 21 chassis or a KRG Whiskey-3 chassis.
    Have already picked out an Altas bipod and a Vortex Viper PST FFP scope to go on the rifle. Which strategy is worthwhile, or is there another possibility that I may have overlooked?
    Thanks in advance for the advice.
    Get the Remington 700 SPS Tactical and I'll do a FREE Tac Ops Bolt handle for you and give you two piece bases with Birdsong Black-T finish and a FREE Tac Ops Stock Pack that holds 8 rounds...

Mike R.

In PRS/PRL competition, the overwhelming majority of shooters are using 6mm Dasher or 6mm Creedmoor. Most all are using a 6mm of some variety. Study the ballistics, recoil, etc. and you will see why. Or, just simply shoot one.

As far as gun, optics, mounts, etc. you get what you pay for.

Best of luck. It is addicting.

Get a Tikka CTR or Varmint and drop it in a KRG, then you'll be off printing some of the best groups of your life.
    I'd also recommend 6.5CM over 308 unless you have some good reasons for it. If you want the rationale for me saying this that let me know and I'll give it to you.

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to respond to my questions. All of your answers have been very helpful. While I must be the one who ultimately makes the decision regarding this rifle, know that your input at this time has helped lead me to make the choice.👍

I am aware that the 6.5CM round has a better ballistic coefficient than the .308, and that it has become the new "sexy" round partly because USSOCOM recently decided to use it in its sniper and light support systems. But I was leaning towards the .308 because there still seems to be an issue regarding availability. I live in the Northeast (NY specifically) and the online sites that I have purchased ammo from (Ammoman, Ammoland) seem to have limited quantities, and as a result higher prices, whereas quality .308 ammo seems to be more readily accessible and slightly cheaper. Also, I have seen a lot of videos and read a few articles that basically say that the .308, while lacking compared to the 6.5CM, is still a viable round. I really don't plan on doing much shooting beyond 1500 yds, so I thought I would stick with the .308; however, I could change my mind.;)

"swage2712" suggested buying a budget custom action and a quality prefit barrel. I actually like this idea as opposed to buying a full rifle. Unfortunately, I am unfamiliar with who the the quality manufacturers are. Suggestions? Also, should I buy the action and the barrel separately, or get a barreled action? Right now, I am setting a budget limit of approximately $3500 for the entire rifle, so I am not looking for a 5-star action and barrel, but I won't settle for 💩 just to save a few dollars.

Thanks for your help.

I'm interested in this as well. I bought a bergara hmr in 6.5cm and THEN found this forum. I'm wondering if I should have gone a different direction. The rifle has been sub moa at 100 yards but I haven't had a chance to stretch it out yet.

I've been shooting a Remington 700 LTR in .308 for decades. I recently bought a Tikka TAC A1 in 6.5 Creedmoor. With the muzzle brake the Tikka does not move off of the target after firing and you can see the hits. Recoil is minimal, more like shooting a .223. The 700 is for sale.

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to respond to my questions. All of your answers have been very helpful. While I must be the one who ultimately makes the decision regarding this rifle, know that your input at this time has helped lead me to make the choice.👍

I am aware that the 6.5CM round has a better ballistic coefficient than the .308, and that it has become the new "sexy" round partly because USSOCOM recently decided to use it in its sniper and light support systems. But I was leaning towards the .308 because there still seems to be an issue regarding availability. I live in the Northeast (NY specifically) and the online sites that I have purchased ammo from (Ammoman, Ammoland) seem to have limited quantities, and as a result higher prices, whereas quality .308 ammo seems to be more readily accessible and slightly cheaper. Also, I have seen a lot of videos and read a few articles that basically say that the .308, while lacking compared to the 6.5CM, is still a viable round. I really don't plan on doing much shooting beyond 1500 yds, so I thought I would stick with the .308; however, I could change my mind.;)

"swage2712" suggested buying a budget custom action and a quality prefit barrel. I actually like this idea as opposed to buying a full rifle. Unfortunately, I am unfamiliar with who the the quality manufacturers are. Suggestions? Also, should I buy the action and the barrel separately, or get a barreled action? Right now, I am setting a budget limit of approximately $3500 for the entire rifle, so I am not looking for a 5-star action and barrel, but I won't settle for 💩 just to save a few dollars.

Thanks for your help.
    Copy that nooo worries but my offer still stands Johnny...

Mike R.

Thanks for your help.

I'm a BIG fan of Defiance, especially when they're nitrided. I've shot or owned all of the popular custom actions and now I only own Defiance. The action is just a delivery system some will argue. I agree with that statement, but we like what we like. They make a budget version called the Tenacity. You can also get it in a nitrided version for $100 more. Altus Shooting Solutions has them in stock. I have no affiliation with them other than making many purchases from them. There are lots of quality gunsmiths that can make you a prefit barrel for it. I've used many of them. LRI and SAC are my "go to" smiths. LRI will turn a barrel around in literally days. Short Action Customs is 30 minutes from my house door to door. They do awesome work and the folks that work there are top notch but you may wait several weeks to get your barrel. Their namesake action is made by Defiance so they will have the specs on the Tenacity as will most any quality smith. There are always stocks for sale here from trusted members so that will be easy to find. You could easily get a custom barreled action for $1600... give or take $100 I would think. I'm unsure if your budget includes glass. That's a whole different can of worms.

Last edited:
    Thank you, swage2712. This information is just what I was looking for, and it will help me with my future research. The $1600 price you quoted is the approximate cost that I would like to spend for the action and barrel. And yes, my budget did take glass into account (Vortex Viper PST FFP).

I was poking around the internet, looking for someone who manufactured barreled actions; I realized that having the action and the barrel paired together by the same company eliminates the need for a 3rd party gunsmith. I came across Straight Jacket Armory and was wondering if anyone has experience with them?🤔

I was poking around the internet, looking for someone who manufactured barreled actions; I realized that having the action and the barrel paired together by the same company eliminates the need for a 3rd party gunsmith. I came across Straight Jacket Armory and was wondering if anyone has experience with them?🤔
    They're a SH sponsor. They're reputable.

Thank you for that insight.
    And BTW, I am also finding that 6.5CM ammo is more readily available than I first believed!🤯 Looks like I may be coming over to the Dark Side!
    if you choose 308 because of 'availability' you're looking in the wrong places.

also...we adopted 6.5creed LONG before SOCOM. like a decade

I've heard good things about Straight Jacket, but they do not manufacture the action. They're simply selling a chambered barrel and action together as a package. You could still choose to have an action of your liking shipped to them and they could very easily spin a barrel for you. I took a peak at their website and saw a few of the popular custom actions they had for sale sold as a barreled action. If they are local or there is some reason you'd like to use them don't let that deter you from getting an action they don't sell as a package. Everyone prefers something different and that's what makes having lots of options available a good thing for us shooters. There is an ass for every seat my dad used to say. I've never regretted the difference in money I've spent for quality equipment and kit. Good luck in your search and I'm sure your new rifle will be your pride and joy and most likely not the only one you will end up with in the future.

Mike R., thank you for the offer. Right now, my head is swimming with so much good information that I am nowhere near making a definite decision yet.
    Your Most Welcome, I'll stand by to stand by ;)

Check...

Mike R.

In the past few days, after reading numerous articles, watching various YouTube videos and banging my head against the desk (figuratively, not literally), I think I have come up with a list of components for my Precision Rifle build. All of your inputs have helped me tremendously; just too bad that I can't implement all of them at the same time. Notice that I am going with 6.5CM, but that doesn't mean that I have totally given up on .308; I'll save it for my next rifle.🤫

Defiance Tenacity Medium Action (Model 700™ SA Length)
    Straight Jacket Armory prefit barrel for Tenacity S/A, 6.5 Creedmoor, 22” Heavy Palma barrel, 1:8 twist, 5/8x24tpi threaded muzzle,
    6.5 Creedmoor factory spec .199 freebore
    Timney Remington 2-stage trigger
    Kinetic Research Group (KRG) X-Ray Chassis System, FDE
    Kinetic Research Group (KRG) Enclosed Forend (for X-Ray Chassis System)
    Atlas Bipod, Standard Height
    Vortex Viper PST 5-25x50 FFP Riflescope (EBR-7C MRAD)
    Vortex Cantilever 30mm Scope Mount
    Magpul M-Lok Bipod Adapter
    VG6 Precision Gamma 65 Muzzle Brake

What are your thoughts...GO or NOGO?

Straight Jacket Armory prefit barrel for Tenacity S/A, 6.5 Creedmoor, 22” Heavy Palma barrel, 1:8 twist, 5/8x24tpi threaded muzzle,

Sounds like a solid setup.
    I'm having a 22" Med palma barreled action put together for me that I'll be throwing into a KRG Bravo myself. I'm intending it to be general purpose bolt gun for everything from hunts to comps. If I had the money, I'd have upgraded the action and chassis to something like what your plan is though.
    You got a "GO" from me.

Last edited:
    Reactions: JeffLebowski
    In the past few days, after reading numerous articles, watching various YouTube videos and banging my head against the desk (figuratively, not literally), I think I have come up with a list of components for my Precision Rifle build. All of your inputs have helped me tremendously; just too bad that I can't implement all of them at the same time. Notice that I am going with 6.5CM, but that doesn't mean that I have totally given up on .308; I'll save it for my next rifle.🤫

GO.

Reactions: Bakwa
    Looks like a quality build. I'd reconsider the cantilever mount in favor of some quality rings and would highly recommend the Area 419 Hellfire brake. You can remove the brake portion for easy cleaning and it's easy to put back on. There's no jam nut to screw around with.

Buy this brake now over the vg. https://impactprecisionshooting.com/products/heathen-muzzle-brake

Don’t cantilever mount in a bolt gun, or needed and not what you want.

Not sure I would bother with the enclosed fore end unless you just like the look in which case never mind. Shoot it as is for a bit and see how you like it. I liked how the squared xray front rode straight in a bag when I had one.

Thanks for all of the inputs. The reason I had chosen the VG6 muzzle brake was an article I had read (https://www.gunmann.com/65-creedmoor-muzzle-brakes/). But I am thinking about the Hellfire as an alternative. I also have looked at Hawkins Precision scope rings instead of the cantilever mount since they are used by PRS and NRL competitors. Unfortunately, Spuhr rings are just a little above my price range.