• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes new to precision shooting, need optics advice

DeadNoise

Legend
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2008
Nevada
hey all, just got a remmy 700 tactical 308 with 20in barrel, also have a remmy 700 mlr 338 lapua. im starting to build on both of them and am in need of some optics advice. ive got a budget of about $1500 per gun for optics, liking the swfa 5-20, but i also like the Leupold mark 4 5-25. which would you all recommend. or any other suggestions?

Re: new to precision shooting, need optics advice

The SWFA'S aren't bad choices, but I would honestly pick up two Nightforces in the used section here when you can find two of the same like you want.

A used Nightforce would be a great addition to each rifle. However, the SWFA HD line, Leupold MK4 line, and US Optics lines are also great glass and you should spend a considerable amount of time researching all of them before you pick.

New to precision shooting, 308WIN and 338LM, $1500 budget per scope?

I might have a left field perspective but if you don't see yourself shooting past 800 yards anytime soon, I would buy the exact scope you want for the 308WIN, get proficient in that, save up, then decide later on the 338LM scope -- if you dont reload, $6 per 338LM round to shoot a distance you can easily touch with a $1 308WIN round can be painful. Also, the experience with the one scope you buy will greatly shape your definition on what features, qualities & ergonomics are ideal for you.