• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to Redding Type S Bushing dies with a question

pyplynr

Minuteman
Apr 4, 2010
Oklahoma
I'm building a new rifle and a new caliber to me (284 Win).

I'm wanting to get the Redding Type S Match Bushing 2-Die Set. Here's my question... I've read some threads on which bushings to get, but they all say to measure the neck of a fired round. I have bought brass, powder, bullets, and I have primers. How can I measure a fired round if I can't make a round to fire?

Re: New to Redding Type S Bushing dies with a question

<span style="font-size: 8pt">pssst, buy some ammo and shoot it.</span>

But not at me!
laugh.gif

I looked at that route, but the thing is that I could buy a set of the redding regular dies for the same as 1 box of ammo

The calculation is twice the neck wall thickness plus the bullet diameter minus about .002", but it never really seems to work out until you actually load one and try it, you can tell how much neck tension you have when you seat the bullet.

call redding and ask what the most popular and common bushing is for that caliber. That might get ya started in the right direction

If you have new brass, seat a bullet. If you feel some resistance, you have enough tension to get a loaded round dimension. Then you decide whether to go -.001 or -.002. You do know that different brass will give you a different reading dependent on wall thickness, so you may want several bushings.

If your using new win brass. Order .310 and .311 and you should be good to go. I use the .311 for new brass and the .310 after it's fire formed. I'm also using the upgraded carbide sizing button kit.

The diameter of new or fired necks has no meaning. What you want is to achive the proper "tension" on a reload. To do that, first seat a bullet and measure the loaded neck diameter. Then subract the amount of "tension" you wish and order a bushing for that size or the next size smaller. I gave up on all that crap after I bought my first Lee Collet Neck die.

I put "tension" in quotes because that's what it gets called even tho that's not what it is. What people call "tension" is really an interferrence fit, meaning the hole is smaller than what will be jammed into it. The actual bullet grip - real tension - will vary with the thickness and hardness of the neck brass more than the size of the hole.

The difference in new and fired brass is spring back. To get the same feel on the button or tenion on the bullet requires the different bushing. Win brass is thin and when sizing fired brass there is spring back. If I was using collet dies I would not have responded to a question on s-dies. That's just me.

"If I was using collet dies I would not have responded to a question on s-dies. That's just me."

Perhaps it's not what we still use but what we've learned. But that's just me. ??