• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to reloading 6cm die set

Thflinn

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2023
Texas
I’m new to reloading and I’m trying to get a die set ordered. I’ll be reloading 6cm for a new rifle build. Planned on getting Lapua brass since it’s readily available. Looking for advice on a die set that is simple to use but will have room to grow and explore with.

I was looking at the Hornady match die set or the rcbs match master but don’t have brass in hand to measure to get a bushing size. Any advice is helpful as I’m probably making it more complicated than it needs to be.

You will get lots of different points of view. So here goes mine...LOL
When I stared reloading I got Redding bushing 3 die sets for 6.5cm, 308, 300wm and .338lm. I used the 3 die sets for about 4 years or so. For the last 9 ish years I went to FL sizing die on all 12 calibers I load and use a mandrel instead of the ball expander to open the neck. I have never you Hornady dies but people seem to likee them. The only RCBS die I use are AR10,15 small base dies and they work just fine. Here is my load for my 6cm.
Rifle AI-AT
Barrel 26 in Bartlein 1-7 twist
Brass ADG
Primer 210m
Powder H-4350 40.00gr
Bullet 109 Berger Hybrid
AVG FPS 2955
SD 7.3
ES 15.9

Hope this helps

You will get lots of different points of view. So here goes mine...LOL
When I stared reloading I got Redding bushing 3 die sets for 6.5cm, 308, 300wm and .338lm. I used the 3 die sets for about 4 years or so. For the last 9 ish years I went to FL sizing die on all 12 calibers I load and use a mandrel instead of the ball expander to open the neck. I have never you Hornady dies but people seem to likee them. The only RCBS die I use are AR10,15 small base dies and they work just fine. Here is my load for my 6cm.
Rifle AI-AT
Barrel 26 in Bartlein 1-7 twist
Brass ADG
Primer 210m
Powder H-4350 40.00gr
Bullet 109 Berger Hybrid
AVG FPS 2955
SD 7.3
ES 15.9

Hope this helps
This is all good info. I hadn’t seen an expanding mandrel die so I learned something new. So you run a full length sizing die( assuming without a bushing) and a mandrel die in that order?

This is all good info. I hadn’t seen an expanding mandrel die so I learned something new. So you run a full length sizing die( assuming without a bushing) and a mandrel die in that order?

You need the bushing - you pull out the expander ball. Run with an appropriate sized bushing, then run through the mandrel to slightly open the neck back up.

As for dies, I've never been a fan of the larger manufacturers' dies. I've had very good results with Whidden and I love all the LE Wilson stuff. It's slightly more expensive, but not all that much.

You need the bushing - you pull out the expander ball. Run with an appropriate sized bushing, then run through the mandrel to slightly open the neck back up.

As for dies, I've never been a fan of the larger manufacturers' dies. I've had very good results with Whidden and I love all the LE Wilson stuff. It's slightly more expensive, but not all that much.

I was browsing both of those items but I just ordered the mighty armory gold match sizing die before I saw this. The reviews seemed to be great. Hope it works out well!

Now looking for a bullet seating die. Was looking at the LE Wilson but then I need an arbor press. Seems easy to use and I can order with a stem for vld’s since that’s the bullets I have currently.

Now looking for a bullet seating die. Was looking at the LE Wilson but then I need an arbor press. Seems easy to use and I can order with a stem for vld’s since that’s the bullets I have currently.
I always debate whether telling someone new to reloading to go the route of an arbor press. I believe that getting an arbor press was the single most important piece of equipment I added to my process. On the other hand, it is one more piece of equipment, and that can become too much for some people who are just trying to get the hang of things.

Since you're already considering it and seem to understand the basic concept, I'd recommend going for it. The ability to measure the seating force required for each round really helps you hone your ammo. LE Wilson makes some good shit.

I always debate whether telling someone new to reloading to go the route of an arbor press. I believe that getting an arbor press was the single most important piece of equipment I added to my process. On the other hand, it is one more piece of equipment, and that can become too much for some people who are just trying to get the hang of things.

Since you're already considering it and seem to understand the basic concept, I'd recommend going for it. The ability to measure the seating force required for each round really helps you hone your ammo. LE Wilson makes some good shit.
Every time I read about the Le Wilson dies and the arbor press that’s what people say. I was looking at the Whidden bullet seating due as well.

I’ve always been one to spend more first rather than but cheap and regret it later.

Reactions: Rocketmandb

Since you're already considering it and seem to understand the basic concept, I'd recommend going for it. The ability to measure the seating force required for each round really helps you hone your ammo. LE Wilson makes some good
Well, went the le wilson route. Thank you the advice and reaffirming my choice on the le wilson seating dies.

Well, went the le wilson route. Thank you the advice and reaffirming my choice on the le wilson seating dies.

To put into perspective how much emphasis I put into using an arbor press, I'm waiting on a custom seater die from Warner for my 37XC that cost me north of $700.

EDIT: And to prove the adage that a fool and his money are easy parted, I also recently ordered an AMP Press. Hopefully both arrive this week - though I don't think that a 37XC will fit under the AMP. I also have to order a longer stem for the K&M arbor press.

To put into perspective how much emphasis I put into using an arbor press, I'm waiting on a custom seater die from Warner for my 37XC that cost me north of $700.

EDIT: And to prove the adage that a fool and his money are easy parted, I also recently ordered an AMP Press. Hopefully both arrive this week - though I don't think that a 37XC will fit under the AMP. I also have to order a longer stem for the K&M arbor press.
Now that is one impressive round. I’m all in for the arbor press because there will be less switching dies in my rock chucker. Everything for my rifle and reload setup should be here by the end of the week(when the GF is here, planned that to the T haha) so looking forward to load testing for the first time.

Beware the Mighty Armory rifle dies, they are the last thing I'd recommend for someone new as Mighty Armory doesn't really have them figured out themselves. If you need a decapping die for an auto-drive Dillon setup for shitloads of 9mm, sure Mighty Armory... but not for precision rifle.

You don't need an arbor press or an inline seater either, that might be something to look at down the road (depending on what discipline you end up shooting), but again, the wrong tool for someone new to this IMO.

The Hornady Match Grade dies would be a great choice, they come with a solid FL bushing die and the accessories to run it with or without an expander ball (without is better once you figure out what's the right bushing for you), and a really good micrometer floating-sleeve seater.

Be careful around here, be weary of straying too far off the main roads until you've actually learned how to drive. Stick to stuff that's straightforward and proven, and once you have your feet under you, take it as far out as you want.. without having already bought some other guy's ideal setup that isn't ideal for you. An off-the-shelf die set is a good way to start IMO, then maybe go down the mandrel rabbit hole, then maybe annealing, then scales that measure to the kernel, etc... but start simple so you can figure out the why/how/what that works for YOU, or else you'll end up with a bunch of the wrong shit.

Last edited: