• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New To Reloading, gear list missing anything?

bluebie

#!/bin/bash
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2019
Hey Guys,
i'm planning to start reloading for my 6.5creed rifle. Here's a list of stuff I'm planning to buy, am I missing anything? I've already got a hornady reloading manual and a bunch of 1x fired hornady brass from the ELD-M I've been shooting. Please let me know if I'm missing anything, or if there are better alternatives to the stuff I've got listed here.

One thing to note: I'm not sure if the modified case is necessary. I assume the best case scenario is to use fire-formed brass, and drill/tap the head to fit the length gauge. I have drills and a tap and die set, but I don't have a drill press or lathe or anything to ensure a perfectly concentric threading on the case head. How critical is this? Would you advise I try to make my own using a fire-formed case, or just use the hornady pre-made modified case?

Edit: I should mention that I don't really have a specific budget in mind, this shopping list has me at $1100 shipped from midway. I just want quality components that will last. Speed isn't really a huge consideration, I'm unlikely to shoot more than 500ish rounds a month, so it's not like I need to knock out a million rounds super quick to keep up with my shooting volume.

Equipment
Redding Boss Single Stage Press
Redding #1 Shellholder
Redding Competition Shellholder Set #1
Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Perfect Seat Hand Priming Tool
Redding Premium Series Deluxe 3-Die Set (full length sizing, neck sizing, and seating dies)
Redding Type-S full length bushing die and micrometer seating die set (and .289 bushing)
Lyman Accu-Touch 2000 Electronic Powder Scale 2000 Grain Capacity
RCBS Chargemaster Lite
Hornady M-1 Case Tumbler
L.E. Wilson Micrometer Case Trimmer Stainless Steel Case Trimming Kit
Hornady Lock-N-Load Overall Length Gauge Modified Case
Hornady Lock-N-Load Overall Length Gauge Bolt Action
Hornady Lock-N-Load Bullet Comparator Insert
Hornady Lock-N-Load Bullet Comparator Body

Hornady Lock-N-Load Headspace Gauge Kit (with comparator body)
Powder Funnel
Reloading trays
RCBS collet bullet puller + collet

Consumables
140gr Hornadl ELD-M bullets
1LB H4350 Powder
CCI #200 primers
CCI #BR2 Large Benchrest Primers
Corn cob tumbler media
Hornady 1shot case lube
Hornady case polish
Rice

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Shit I should have posted this in the other reloading section... Will see if I can delete it.

I was using bushing dies but have gone back to FL sizing dies and accuracy has been very good and one less step when reloading. I also think the Forster C.O.A.X is a better press. I load 33xc down to .556 with the press and no need for case holders. Just something to think about. Take your time and have fun.

I'm a big fan of the Forster FL sizing die, and the forster micrometer seating die. The seating die will save you a lot of headaches.

I would also recommend the rcbs chargemaster lite.

I'm assuming you already have a micrometer.

You'll also need a bullet puller. Mistakes happen.... I personally like the collet types.

Also consider the bench rest cci primers.

Reactions: Strykervet
I was using bushing dies but have gone back to FL sizing dies and accuracy has been very good and one less step when reloading. I also think the Forster C.O.A.X is a better press. I load 33xc down to .556 with the press and no need for case holders. Just something to think about. Take your time and have fun.
Thanks man, there seems to be a lot of back and forth over the value of bushings or not, I figure I'll not use bushings first and see how I do. There is certainly something to be said for simplicity.

I'm a big fan of the Forster FL sizing die, and the forster micrometer seating die. The seating die will save you a lot of headaches.

I would also recommend the rcbs chargemaster lite.

I'm assuming you already have a micrometer.

You'll also need a bullet puller. Mistakes happen.... I personally like the collet types.

Also consider the bench rest cci primers.
Thanks for the advice, I will check out the Forster dies, the ones I listed also have a micrometer, as that seems like a really nice convenience.

I saw the regular charge master but it was $$$$, did not know about the light, I will have a look for sure.

Good call on the puller, will definitely add one, thank you.

I would suggest dropping the overall length gauges and just using the Wheeler method. You are on the right track with the headspace difference between the modified case and a fire formed case, easier way to account for it IMO would be just to get the Horady headspace comparator kit and account for the difference, you’ll want it anyways.. all that to say I still recommend the Wheeler method for finding lands.

I would suggest dropping the overall length gauges and just using the Wheeler method. You are on the right track with the headspace difference between the modified case and a fire formed case, easier way to account for it IMO would be just to get the Horady headspace comparator kit and account for the difference, you’ll want it anyways.. all that to say I still recommend the Wheeler method for finding lands.

Thanks, this is awesome. I haven't seen this method in my research, but this looks super straightforward and doesn't involve un-fucking a bullet/case from the rifling in the beginning.

I would use a fire-formed and sized case for this, right?

Thanks, this is awesome. I haven't seen this method in my research, but this looks super straightforward and doesn't involve un-fucking a bullet/case from the rifling in the beginning.

I would use a fire-formed and sized case for this, right?
Yeah, just over size it a few thou just to make sure that it doesnt interfere with the chamber at all.

Personally, I’d skip the one shot case lube and buy some Imperial Size Die Wax. I really like that stuff, over all the other case lubes I’ve tried over the years. Put a little (hardly any needed) between your thumb and forefinger and rub it on your case.

You might consider some dry neck lube for seating.

I also use it for sizing inside the neck instead of trying to get wax in there.
I dip case to the shoulder in the dry,
tap it on the lid to recover excess and make sure case is empty of balls and then smear wax.

Have not had a case stick or expander stick since doing this.
Also think it eliminates bullet welding problems.

That’s a good list. Here are my suggestions.

- Forster Co-ax Now, don’t wait. If you are shooting 500 rounds per month, go with the co-ax. Only problem is that you may not realize how awesome it is unless you start with the boss first. . . Also, if you get the co-as you can ditch the primer tool because the co-ax has an outstanding primer seating feature.

- definitely ditch the 3 die Redding set. Forster custom full length sizing die is good. It’s not a bushing style. Don’t worry about it on day 1 but eventually you can send it back to Forster and get it custom honed to reduce working your necks. Redding or Forster micrometer sizing dies are good.

- you are going to need a plan for annealing. You can send your brass to a guy here on the hide who will do it for you. He does a nice job. But you may want your own system. The Annealeez is the best value IMO.

- also I’m going to put a plug in for one shot lube. Search for Rob01 on here - he describes the method I use and it’s super efficient and reliable. Basically just put it all in a zip lock bag and shake.

- use medium size sushi rice instead of corn cob for tumbling media. Orkan ( Greg from Primal Rights) describes this elsewhere on this site and it is way better than corn. You can get a Lee universal decapping die and deprime before tumbling IF you use the rice. The Forster is so fast you can deprime 100 cases in about 3 minutes. That’s what I do, anyway.

That’s a good list. Here are my suggestions.

- Forster Co-ax Now, don’t wait. If you are shooting 500 rounds per month, go with the co-ax. Only problem is that you may not realize how awesome it is unless you start with the boss first. . . Also, if you get the co-as you can ditch the primer tool because the co-ax has an outstanding primer seating feature.

- definitely ditch the 3 die Redding set. Forster custom full length sizing die is good. It’s not a bushing style. Don’t worry about it on day 1 but eventually you can send it back to Forster and get it custom honed to reduce working your necks. Redding or Forster micrometer sizing dies are good.

- you are going to need a plan for annealing. You can send your brass to a guy here on the hide who will do it for you. He does a nice job. But you may want your own system. The Annealeez is the best value IMO.

- also I’m going to put a plug in for one shot lube. Search for Rob01 on here - he describes the method I use and it’s super efficient and reliable. Basically just put it all in a zip lock bag and shake.

- use medium size sushi rice instead of corn cob for tumbling media. Orkan ( Greg from Primal Rights) describes this elsewhere on this site and it is way better than corn. You can get a Lee universal decapping die and deprime before tumbling IF you use the rice. The Forster is so fast you can deprime 100 cases in about 3 minutes. That’s what I do, anyway.

Thanks for the information man, you are the 2nd person so far to tell me to ditch the 3 piece die set and just go full length and seating. I will do that. Nice tip on the rice, I will 100% give this a shot. Cheap, readily available, and can be run through after de-priming, what's not to love?

I'm still on the fence about the co-ax, I've gotten a lot of good recommendations for it, but man is it pricey.

Question: can a neck sizing die have the sizing portion remove to re-purpose it for de-priming only?

You can deprime before you tumble with any tumbling media, doesnt have to be rice. The lyman media is the perfectly wrong size, it will clog flash holes but I have read that other cob media is smaller and doesnt clog. I use rice myself, medium grain, its nice but it doesnt get brass quite as clean as corn cob and it gets gummy. But it doesnt make any dust which I like most.

The co-ax is awesome but Im not sure its waiting months on end for one. Most any press can give results just as good, I like the co-ax for the spent primer collection, no messy pick up all over the floor. It is a nice press.

Priming on any press sucks IMO, having to single load the little bitty primers. Do yourself a favor and get a franklin armory hard primer for 50 bucks.

I guess you could ream out the neck to make a dedicated decapping die. But when you can get a lee decapping die for 13 bucks I dont see why anyone would. Maybe try spinning the die body up really high and the center stem down as far as it can go so that you hit the primer out before the brass gets high enough to touch the neck.
(If you have small flash hole brass such as found in 6br then get the redding decapping die as it comes with the small pin, its just easier than sanding the lee pin down)

Also, watch brownells, they have the lower price often times plus you can get a 10% off coupon from retailmenot on most days for additional savings and shiping.

Reactions: Horns8491
If I had to do it again, I wouldn’t buy the LE WILSON case trimmer. It’s expensive, takes a specific case holder for each caliber, and is slow to use. I bought it, still have it, and never use it. Instead, I got the lee trimmer. A caliber specific pilot threads into the cutter, and you can chuck up the shell holder into a drill and get after it. Way more cost effective and faster than the Wilson.

Also, I use Hornady custom grade dies, and full length resize. They aren’t the fanciest dies, but they are good.

I’ll also second, or third, the one shot case lube. That’s stuff is good to go.

Hah damn, wish I saw your reply a few minutes ago. I just pulled the trigger on my updated list. Oh well, maybe I'll just return it when it arrives.

Also, thanks for your help everyone, super good advice in here as usual. :geek:

Definitely in your boat as well. What a great list to verify I have and know what I’m doing lol. Subscribed! Post some pics when you get everything setup.

Your list of equipment should serve you well. But everyone has different thoughts and opinions. Heres mine.

Up grade your press selection from the Boss to the Big Boss
Drop the competition shell holders. I've never felt the need for them.
Drop the bushing dies and order the 2 die full length set.
Drop the One Shot and order something like the Dillon spray lube.
Add a carbide cutter for your Wilson trimmer.

These are my thoughts after 40+ years of reloading and shooting in several different sports.

Reactions: Average guy
Personally, I’d skip the one shot case lube and buy some Imperial Size Die Wax. I really like that stuff, over all the other case lubes I’ve tried over the years. Put a little (hardly any needed) between your thumb and forefinger and rub it on your case.
Imperial sizing wax and the graphite lube kit are definitely the way to go. Definitely not overworking the brass