• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to reloading. Just got gear, now what..

RedhatCAshooter

Private
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2022
East Bay, California
Hello all,

Pictures attached with what I have currently.

I'm a 308 shooter with about 500 pieces of once fired FGMM ammo all through my rig. Have a box of 500 Sierra 175 gr hpbt, 1000 cci large rifle primers, 2 lbs Varget, 2 lbs IMR 4064, 2lbs IMR 4985.

Rig is Remington 700 sps aac in a m24 stock, bushnell ERS 3.5-21x, harris bipod, hawkins DBM, a brake (forgot which)

Rcbs ammomaster 2 (plan to reload 375 CT someday soon)

Frankfort arsenal-
Powder dispenser
check weights for scale above
Hand deprimer
perfect primer
digital dial caliper
Aluminum powder funnel set
Bullet puller

Lyman-
Reloading block
Ultrasonic cleaner
Flash hole tool
Case prep tool

Rcbs case prep pad
Imperial wax
One shot case lube

Comparator for 308 the D size
Hornady custom 308 dies

I haven't reloaded any ammo yet and want to get going. The instructions for my Dies say I need to take them apart and clean the anti rust stuff before first use. I Do not have a case trimmer yet however the Frankfort one to use with my drill will be here soon. I mounted my press onto my reloading table since I took the picture of equipment. Also I am looking for a stone slab to put under my powder dispenser with some cork pads to help with vibration.

So what is next?
Kind of nervous because I didn't buy a typical box starter kit and feel like I missed a few things. Appreciate any help from the community

I typically shoot 50-120 rounds at a time when I go to the range. I like shooting the steel targets at my local club from 200-500m with plans to go farther soon.
Plan to do a load workup for my rifle
haven't bought any reloading books yet, not sure if the PDFs are online

-Redhat

Attachments

• 20230201_204823.jpg
    20230201_204823.jpg
    455.2 KB · Views: 99
  • 20230201_210005 - Copy.jpg
    20230201_210005 - Copy.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 108
  • 20190314_080707.jpg
    20190314_080707.jpg
    492.7 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
With the 175 SMK and those powders, if you can't get the rifle to shoot well, you've got a problem.

When you said "micrometer", did you mean dial caliper?

When I got started, I relied heavily on the Speer reloading manual. However, the instructions on your dies will get you where you need to be safely. Take your time and double check everything.

Hodgdon's reloading data on their website will cover all three powders you have...no need to worry.

I'm guessing 41.6 - 42.0gr IMR-4064, or 42.6 - 43.2gr Varget is going to be your sweet spot at 2.800 COL.

With the 175 SMK and those powders, if you can't get the rifle to shoot well, you've got a problem.

When you said "micrometer", did you mean dial caliper?

When I got started, I relied heavily on the Speer reloading manual. However, the instructions on your dies will get you where you need to be safely. Take your time and double check everything.

Hodgdon's reloading data on their website will cover all three powders you have...no need to worry.

I'm guessing 41.6 - 42.0gr IMR-4064, or 42.6 - 43.2gr Varget is going to be your sweet spot at 2.800 COL.
Yes sir I meant dial caliper.

I'll head over to their website and see where to start the load workup.

Start reading. Start watching videos. Understand the basic premise of each step / operation. As you go you'll understand what tools you're going to need. The more you research, the more you'll have a better idea which version / manufacturer of each tool you'll need. It's a learning process but understanding the basics of what you're doing is key.

Reactions: Herb Stoner
You are just missing a trimmer, you don’t need a stone slab

Take notes and measure everything for each step of the process in a way that makes sense to you and you’ll have a much easier time when something does go awry
70C61244-10ED-4103-8CF7-A03E0A9C45B3.jpeg

The Hodgson site has good reloading information for free. You can also go to accurateshooter.com, click on 308 win on the left side of the screen and scroll down and click on the Sierra logo to download Sierra’s load data. Regardless of the amount of free data, I would still buy a reloading manual just for reference. I use Hornady’s but Sierra and Berger both have manuals. I use IMR 4064 in all my 308 loads (168,169&175 SMKs). For the 175s I use 43.0 grains in Alpha brass.

Buy a manual, I like the one from Speer. Having a physical manual in front of you, on your bench, when you are new is invaluable. I still find myself returning to older manuals despite more than 20 years of experience handloading.

You don't have to spend tons of money on a trimmer, a regular RCBS trimmer is fine.

Buy a manual
This, 100%. But I’d say buy at least a couple to start out with if you can swing it. When I was starting out I also downloaded and printed out data from powder and bullet manufacturers that are applicable to the cartridges I load and put it in binders. It’s good to be able to compare data from across manufacturers.

Reactions: Aftermath
Start reading. Start watching videos. Understand the basic premise of each step / operation. As you go you'll understand what tools you're going to need. The more you research, the more you'll have a better idea which version / manufacturer of each tool you'll need. It's a learning process but understanding the basics of what you're doing is key.

Yep...get a few reloading manuals and read each a few times, especially the 'how to' sections.

Nobody here is going to be able to school you on he 'basics' of reloading. Until you study the hobby, by reading, you'll be at a disadvantage.

Don't take shortcuts when reloading, as you can blow your face off.

Chris

Thank you guys for all this intel!

So far I have hand deprimed and cleaned all my spent rounds (450-500). I will order a couple books before I move on to FL resizing my rounds and continuing through the ammo building process.

Man I wish my dad showed me this when I was younger or I had a neighbor/mentor to walk me through... but, I live in northern Cali so chances are slim.

you guys rock,

-Redhat

You are just missing a trimmer, you don’t need a stone slab

Take notes and measure everything for each step of the process in a way that makes sense to you and you’ll have a much easier time when something does go awry
View attachment 8064954

This☝️

I’m new to reloading myself and it can be daunting in the beginning. In my limited experience, keeping notes I can easily understand has been a big help. I also write everything down. You’ll think something is burned into your brain only to not remember it exactly because the next thing has pushed it aside.

I take my time and try to limit distractions to zero or close to it. I’m starting to develop a process that works well and has helped to shave off some time.

Lots of good info and plenty of knowledgeable people on the hide willing to help.

This

plenty of video's online to watch take a little from one try it then try some of another and so on enjoy it but please take everything you do slowly so not to blow your self up that would just be bad unless you wanted to blow your self up then congrats on achieving that goal . Id say pick one powder and start somewhere between medium and low hot the hottest and not the slowest and see how you do oh and only do a few in case you mess something up until you get more familiar with your process 25 rounds are better to have to pull apart than 1k .
and getting more detailed with what your planning to do early on is far easier than after your lazy .

even if you don't do exactly the things he does in the order he did them it's good to keep track of what your planning to do and when your planning to do it .I am a big fan of 3x5 cards they are cheap easy to set up and if you mess one up they are simple and fast to correctly duplicate .

Without any doubt, buy at least one manual. Here’s where I deviate from previous posts…do not merely read but STUDY that manual.

Like has been said, I downloaded manuals and gorged myself on videos. Picked a lot of brains on the hide and those of experienced reloaders I shoot with. Great community to be a part of.

I enjoy this YouTube channel, although there are so many more. Hope it helps.

OP - I’ve got a thread started where I asked for help with a particular issue. Turns out I have a lot of unknowns that I’m learning along the way and that thread has addressed a multitude of issues before they even happened.

Open eyes and an open mind.

Start with reloading manuals. That’ll give you the gist. Further investigation through internet research and vids.

I was pointed towards a YouTube channel called Panhandle Precision and it’s AWESOME. I’ve rewatched basics videos over and over and still learn something new every time. There’s nuance everywhere. There’s preference everywhere. But there’s also hard fact.

If you’re unsure about something, research it, and if you can’t figure it out by searching, start a thread. Good dudes on here that will point you in the right direction.

I’m a beginner like you, but I feel a lot more comfortable airing out my questions on the hide. Like I said, good dudes.

Reactions: Familydude
Aside from all the tools, materials, videos, manuals, etc., find yourself a mentor.

Just because you live in the Bay Area doesn’t mean you won’t find one.

If you ask around the ranges and clubs where you shoot, I’m confident you will find a mentor and save yourself tons of time and mistakes.

As far as manuals go, Lee makes a really good one. You will probably find more load data in there than any other manual, at least from what I've seen.

Enjoy the process. It can be agravating and rewarding at the same time.

Oh, and...... 😁
FB_IMG_1564758941509.jpg

Reactions: roosterpig
Kind of nervous because I didn't buy a typical box starter kit and feel like I missed a few things
Honestly, I think you're smart. I normally tell people not to buy a kit (because you'll ultimately replace every bit of it piece by piece).

You do need a manual (as everyone has said), it is important to read the step by step directions carefully. Also, it's not a library book, you can highlight parts or underline parts that you feel need reinforcement for you.

Once you read the first third, if you have specific questions folks here will be happy to answer!

Also to reiterate what others have said, you've bought good components, I bet you'll be happy with the ammo you make.

At the very least you should take a couple of pieces of brass and play around with the equipment until you formally start. Make a dummy round to get the feel of things like running a properly lubed case through a die, seating a bullet,priming a case,trimming a case,throwing consistent powder charges,getting accurate readings with measuring devices, etc. It can’t hurt to get comfortable with all your equipment in the meantime. You’ll start figuring things out .

OP - I’ve got a thread started where I asked for help with a particular issue. Turns out I have a lot of unknowns that I’m learning along the way and that thread has addressed a multitude of issues before they even happened.

Open eyes and an open mind.

Start with reloading manuals. That’ll give you the gist. Further investigation through internet research and vids.

I was pointed towards a YouTube channel called Panhandle Precision and it’s AWESOME. I’ve rewatched basics videos over and over and still learn something new every time. There’s nuance everywhere. There’s preference everywhere. But there’s also hard fact.

If you’re unsure about something, research it, and if you can’t figure it out by searching, start a thread. Good dudes on here that will point you in the right direction.

I’m a beginner like you, but I feel a lot more comfortable airing out my questions on the hide. Like I said, good dudes.
Sam Millard of Panhandle Precision rocks!

As far as manuals go, Lee makes a really good one. You will probably find more load data in there than any other manual, at least from what I've seen.

Enjoy the process. It can be agravating and rewarding at the same time.

Oh, and...... 😁View attachment 8098734
Love it ! I wasn’t quite that scared when shooting my first reload, however, I did sit up and back a back a bit. 😂

As others have stated: Get a manual.

I'll second Josh on the Lee manual. Lots of "bang for your buck" with load data in that book. The main thing with the Lee manual is that they basically reprint data from other sources... And they don't list which brass, primers, and specific bullets were used. So start with the minimum powder charges and work up carefully.

Learn what pressure signs look like and pay careful attention when you start shooting your handloads. Federal brass has lower case capacity than Winchester... So if you decide to use the load data from Hodgdon's site remember they use Winchester brass. You'll start seeing pressure sooner with Federal brass. Start at minimum and work up.

Reloading is basically following directions and is mostly a science... But there can be a bit of "art" involved that comes with experience.

Mike