• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to reloading...need a bit of help

Rebel Rooster

Premium Bag Wax
Supporter
Minuteman
Hi guys, I am new to reloading and I am trying to put together what to purchase to get started. I did just complete an NRA Reloading class, and I am about to take a Precision Handloading class, but before that, I need to get all of my equipment. My instructor said I should go with the RCBS Rockcrusher supreme kit, since it had most of what I would need, but I am thinking it is wiser to buy once, cry once, and I feel like a lot of the equipment in the Rockcrusher kit will not be used for long. I have pretty much made my mind up that I am going to purchase the charge master, as that just seems like the best, most accurate, and easiest way to handle powders, and I do already have a set of whidden 6.5 FL dies. What press would you guys recommend, and is there anything else that will just make my reloading easier? Thanks a ton for the help.

Maybe it does make the most sense to get the rockchucker kit and the charge master and use the scale that comes with the rockchucker as a backup scale?

What kind of loading are you going to be doing? If you are precision loading then the Rock Chucker is a solid press that will last a lifetime. The Coax certainly is a nice press as well. If you are loading for plinking or pistol then perhaps something faster makes more sense. I am a new loader as well. I shoot F Class and after asking around at the matches I decided to get the Rock Chucker for decapping, resizing, neck expanding etc.. and add an arbor press for seating. Lots of guys were using it as well as the Coax. I bought an A&D Fx120i scale with auto trickler. You'll get a bazillion suggestions. There is a lot of ways to skin this cat.

What's your intended purpose? Load small batches of precision ammo or larger lots of mediocre ammo. I have an RCBS Rock Crusher, a Horady lock and load single stage, an old Lyman single stage press and a Dillon 650. The Dillon is used exclusively for pistol and AR (.223 and 300 Blackout). The Rock Crusher is for loading precision rifle rounds. The Hornady and Lyman are general purpose such as decapping and forming cases.

Reactions: Terry H
What is your budget and what calibers are you reloading and how many rounds per month?

What's your intended purpose? Load small batches of precision ammo or larger lots of mediocre ammo. I have an RCBS Rock Crusher, a Horady lock and load single stage, an old Lyman single stage press and a Dillon 650. The Dillon is used exclusively for pistol and AR (.223 and 300 Blackout). The Rock Crusher is for loading precision rifle rounds. The Hornady and Lyman are general purpose such as decapping and forming cases.

Intended purpose is just load precision ammo, 6.5, 28 Nosler, and eventually .375 Cheytac. I will probably also load some 9mm ammo, and possibly .223, but that is not my purpose at all, and I might not even do that, as it seems just as easy to go buy that.

What is your budget and what calibers are you reloading and how many rounds per month?

Probably about 100-200 rounds per month, maybe a small amount more. Budget isn't a huge concern, but I don't want to waste money on stuff I don't need.

I started with a rock chucker and grew into a forster coax. They are both great presses but i prefer the coax by far. There is going to be a learning curve but do your research and read. This site is a tremendous resource.

Reactions: Codiekfx400
In that case, get the RCBS press and spend the money on a good work area for you. Having to move around constantly can lead to mistakes. Make everything flow for you. You can add pieces as you feel you need them. Many rounds have been loaded on a single stage press and a balance beam scale.

I would definitely go single stage press and rcbs chargemaster. As far as a press rcbs Redding Forster are all very good but I would just get the press kit of your choice and have fun. Just to let you know it is a slippery slope when you start hand loading before you know it you will have $5000 in reloading equipment. Giraud power trimmer is by far my favorite tool.

As has been alluded to- Single stage for low volume and progressive for High vol/ pistol.
My Co-Ax press has been a peach for all of my rifle reloading. The RCBS chargemaster + firmware mod for powder and an RCBS Trim Pro wth the 3 way cutter has saved me a lot of time and really isn't rocket science. Caveat; I have no experience with the Rockcrusher press. GL.

If you're serious about reloading I'd definitely suggest piecing together your equipment rather than buying a kit.

I started with a Rockchucker Supreme and bought a Forster Co-ax a couple months later. Discovered I absolutely hated the ergonomics of the Co-ax.
It is a really small press. My hands are XL and I kept hitting my knuckles on the linkage. Also disliked reaching up to pull down a lever. Sold it a couple days later to a shooter from here, and went back to my Rockchucker. I have no regrets. Love the ergonomics and power of the Rockchucker. It's producing ammo with low runout, low SD, and low ES for me.

Reactions: Rebel Rooster