• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to reloading: Please help me with my list!!

Jer

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 25, 2008
Loveland, Colorado
So I've been shooting for a while and decided to step up to a bolt gun (Remington 700 Police) that would shoot .338 Lapua Magnum. Part of that decision came the realization that I wasn't going to pay factory ammo prices because I'm afraid I would go broke pretty quick at the prices this round commands. So I've been reading this section for a bit now and helping reload locally (thanks RayDog!) in an effort to learn as much as I can and it's become pretty apparent that I can waste more time trying to learn than actually doing so I think the time has come to start doing in an effort to learn more hands on. I'm going to start with a single stage press and do them one round at a time to assure that I'm getting a desirable end result. I will probably load new for a bit until I'm comfortable with that aspect and then I will take on the reload and learn the aspects of cleaning and prepping brass for reload as this appears to be another learning lesson once I've mastered (or at least grasped) loading. I also have plans to eventually reload .308 .223 9mm and a few other calibers and will likely invest in a multi-stage press when that times comes but one thing at a time.

So, after some reading and a little hands on I think I've compiled a list of things that I will need so if you have anything that you can offer to help with this list I would appreciate it. Looking to save some money over buying new wherever possible so I have more money for materials. Otherwise, input on the items I've listed would be helpful. Here's the list:

Press: Either RCBS Rock Chucker, Lee Classic or Big Boss Classic (Used an RCBS and liked it. Would like to try the newer v2 that is taller)
Scale: RCBS ChargeMaster
Die set: ?? (not really sure here just yet but sounds like basic works just fine... still trying to figure this out)
Priming: RCBS Hand priming tool
Calipers: Sounds like Mitutoyo are great but some say $10 Harbor Freight works just as well
Shell Holders: RCBS (Thanks to 338LM for selling me two)
Bench: Harbor Freight special for $159 should work fine for now. When I finish the basement out it's likely I will have a dedicated room with everything I need built in.
Little odds and ends: funnel, ammo holders, note cars, etc.

As for materials:
Brass: Lapua
Powder: Retumbo (will source locally to avoid hazmat)
Projectiles: 300gr SMK
Primers: Federal #215M (Thanks to deadly0311's friend for selling me 5k of these)

So, how's my starter list look so far? I would gladly take any advice you may have (good or bad) on what I've listed and if you happen to know where I can find any of them please also let me know.

Thanks!

Re: New to reloading: Please help me with my list!!

I'd go with the Redding S bushing dies, .364" & .365" TiNi bushings, either a neck and body, or just the FL die. Get the competition seater and you're good to go on that front.

The Lee Classic Cast 'O' frame press is fine on the cheap, or the Rock Chucker Supreme kit, if you want some more stuff.

Nice calipers are nice, but the cheap ones will work.

You also need:

tumbler (anyone with decent motor)
trimmer (I use Lyman Universal chuck with drill adapter)
campher/deburr tool (rcbs, redding, wilson)
lube pad/lube (rcbs, redding imperial wax)
headspace gage to set your shoulder back (hornady/sinclair)
primer pocket uniformer (sinclairs)
primer pocket cleaner (rcbs)
flash hole deburrer (lyman)

Chris

Re: New to reloading: Please help me with my list

Check with Sinclair for the accessories. The Satern funnels and Sincalir's caliber-specific loading blocks will prove convenient. Take a look at the different presses if you get a chance. You may see some difference between the RockChucker you have used and what is being furnished these days. Presume you're looking at the Chargemaster Combo and not just a stand-alone electronic scale.

Sinclair is pricey but they have all the good stuff....

You can find it cheaper if you shop around.

If you buy cheap (unless you buy used quality) you will spend more money in the long run. However when learning it sometimes pays off. I've seen many people starting getting very frustrated with some of the basics. I've found I've never been disappointed with any Sinclair tool and it's better with the power adapters. Yes they are pricey but just in the primer pocket and flash holes tools. I have 3 or 4 of each and didn't like the job any of them did till I went with Sinclair tools. You could asked 10 people about presses and get about as many different answers. We have a Rock Chucker for the mags because there is a 7MM RUM in the mix and you need the longer stroke. We use a RCBS Jr for the rest but also have 2 Lyman Spartans I use mainly for body die sizing. Years ago I started with the JR and Lee stuff. Still have all the RCBS items and the Lee went to the side a long time ago. May be a lot better now but to me it's for the beginner because it will get them started as cheap as possible. Going to be a lot disagree with that but other than the chargemasters and the Rock Chucker most of my RCBS stuff is over 30 years old and still works like a top. The 10/10's are to the side of the Chargemasters but still work fine.

I'm Big on REDDING dies and the Forster Micro seaters.

The list looks good. Also get a manual, don't be one of those guys that don't know anything and just throw it out there that they want loads when we already have a whole subsection for it. A good manual will give you some insight on what you are going to be doing and not just giving out load numbers.

As for dies, I use Redding for all my rifle calibers.

Keep the information coming fellas. The more the better and I'm taking it all in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The list looks good. Also get a manual, don't be one of those guys that don't know anything and just throw it out there that they want loads when we already have a whole subsection for it. A good manual will give you some insight on what you are going to be doing and not just giving out load numbers.

As for dies, I use Redding for all my rifle calibers. </div></div>

G? Zat you?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is. </div></div>

See... I'm smart like that.

I only have that avatar on 2 sites, this one and SF. All the other forums I am on, I use different names and avatars.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I only have that avatar on 2 sites, this one and SF. All the other forums I am on, I use different names and avatars. </div></div>

That was the first tip off followed by your location.