• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

new to reloading

noack920

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2010
TX
I am new to reloading and was trying to measure the lands of my rifle. It is a 721 300H&H. I used the cleaning rod and marked it and measured the marks and got 3.724 but all the reloading books say the col 3.600. how do i know if my bullet is in the rifleing. I loaded an empty case and bullet to 3.700 and the bolt shut fine and wasnt hard to close. any ideas would be helpful.

Re: new to reloading

You need to load that round to fit the magazine. 300 H&H traditionally had long lead outs. If you loaded the round to touch the lands, it would not fit in the magazine. BTW this never seemed to hurt accuracy. This used to be THE 1000 yd cartridge.

What you can do is mark a bullet with a black marker (the whole length of the bullet) and seat it loosely in a fired peice of brass. Load the bullet and brass and then slowly eject the brass (may have to tap the bullet out of chamber). Mark on bullet from casing will indicate seating depth for reloading max depth.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: noack920</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am new to reloading and was trying to measure the lands of my rifle. It is a 721 300H&H. I used the cleaning rod and marked it and measured the marks and got 3.724 but all the reloading books say the col 3.600. how do i know if my bullet is in the rifleing. I loaded an empty case and bullet to 3.700 and the bolt shut fine and wasnt hard to close. any ideas would be helpful. </div></div>

Noack,

Winchester did not develop the 300 H&H, but they did standardize the chambering here in the US. Winchester Model 70's magnum mag box is 3.60". That's why load books say 3.6" as MAX COAL for the 300 H&H. Just so there data will work in the popular Win Model 70's.

However, Remington's magnum mag box in the 721 is 3.70". That will allow you set the bullet out further, gain some room the case, and maybe use some heavier charges safely.

Bob

I appreciate everyone's input. It helped out.

For the higher power / volume cartridges like my 300 WinMag I usually stay within the mag length. With a truck load of powder in each case I don't want ANY pressure spikes. While it has a custom barrel / chamber, it does really well with almost any load or length.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beale338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What you can do is mark a bullet with a black marker (the whole length of the bullet) and seat it loosely in a fired peice of brass. Load the bullet and brass and then slowly eject the brass (may have to tap the bullet out of chamber). Mark on bullet from casing will indicate seating depth for reloading max depth. </div></div>

Being a fairly new reloader myself,, I have to ask, would this work on any bolt rifel?

I skip the marker step.

I load a bullet long and measure it. I then put that bullet in the rifle and close the bolt. If its in the lands the bolt will have resistance when closing.

Carefully eject the round and remeasure. If the bullets length is now shorter, you have found the lands. You can usually find the rifling marks on the naked bullet as well.

If when closing the bolt on the long bullet is too difficult, you may have to seat the bullet just a tab more in the press.