• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to shooting: a few .22 questions

SquidHC

Private
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2011
Oregon
While I have done some shooting in the past, it has never been with the intent of doing more than shooting pop cans with friends. I have become more and more interested in learning to shoot properly, and have found this site. After reading through many of the tutorials, and watching many videos, I would like to start putting some of what I have learned into practice.

I currently own two Ruger 10/22's. They are both older, I'd say mid 80's, and have iron sights on them. I feel that they shoot well enough to start practicing with, as I can hit targets such as cans out to somewhere around 75 yards with the current sights.

I would like to purchase a scope for them, but really don't know anything about scopes. I would prefer to start with something fairly inexpensive, that will work for the intended purpose of these rifles, which is foundational shooting principals out to say 100 yards. After that, I will probably be purchasing a better rifle, and new optics.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Id also be interested in links to any good shooting drills you might recommend.

Thanks in advance.

Re: New to shooting: a few .22 questions

Practice makes perfect. If you're looking to shoot tight groups, don't be scared off at first. You need to learn how your rifle likes to be held, sighted, triggered, and plenty of other things. I started just like you way back. Also, you tube is your friend. There are plenty of videos on there that will teach you the propper basics of bench rest shooting and shooting for nice tight groups.

As far as optics. I use a 6-24x40 Bushnell Banner. The model I use has visible target turrets and a mil dot firefly reticle. It will put you back about $200. If you're looking for something less, I would read through some of the threads regarding optics for .22's in this section. The are more good suggestions for fairly inexpensive scopes than I could shoot at. And I love to shoot!

Sounds great, but for your scope, stay pretty cheap and close in, and don't worry about reaching out to 100 yds initially.

You can use one of the cheap 3-9x40 scopes that comes packaged on centerfire rifles, and get one for next to nothing. (lots of people replace them pretty quickly)

When you can get single ragged holes at 25, and then 50 yds with your factory 10/22s, then start looking into more expensive toys, at that point you'll have all the fundamentals.

If you go centerfire later on, start small, otherwise you'll probably develop a flinch coming from 22s.

There are lots of cheap scopes. I think Simmons are the top of the low end scopes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bushnell 10x 3200 series. Very affordable, rugged, repeatable. </div></div>

I'll second that. I had a 5-15x50 Bushnell Elite 3200. Totally rocked.

Look @ CenterPoint 4-15x40 @ Wallyworld ($75), Tasco Varmint 6-24x40 ($80) if you want the extreme low end of the price range. Heard good things about both of these scopes.

I'm using Mueller APT 4.5-14x40mm scopes on my trainer and primary rifles...and loving them. 150 depending on where you buy. Definitely better scopes out there though...buy the best you can afford/justify.

-The Kid.

Thanks to everyone who read and responded. I will be looking into all of your suggestions. Happy shooting.

millett..spelling might be off.....they are cheap and perfect for a 22....check out rimfire central you will see alot of the guys there running them on there rigs....

I had a Bushnell trophy 6-18 power scope which was decent until it broke. I send it back and they upgraded me to a new Trophy XLT so I am happy about that, but I am not sure I would trust the thing not to brake. I wasn’t rough on it and had only fired 1000- 1500 22lr and 20-40 7mm08 rounds before it broke. It held zero well, but the adjustments never seemed to be right although I never box tested it. It’s been setting in my closet for a year or so not sure what I am going to do with it… Anyways don’t be scared or magnification, at close range even relatively poor glass will perform well, things like mirage only really happen at longer range. I have heard good things about Mueller, and Vortex in the lower price range. Like I said if my Bushnell hadn’t broken I would have been happy with it as well.

I'll say this, don't buy cheap optics if you plan on upgrading. It is a waste of money. Cheap optics have NO resale value, and when they break it really ticks a guy off. There is no perfect rimfire scope, but I have found the Leupold VX-II 3-9x33 EFR Rimfire scope to be well worth the price. Add in some Burris Signature rings with 20-30 MOA worth of inserts and you have a nice package for any rimfire.