• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

New to shooting, any tips on form?

limitz

Private
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2011
Atlanta, GA
As I posted in another thread, I'm fairly new to shooting. The first gun I've ever shot was only a few months ago, and since then, I've been hooked. I've only recently picked up my first real "precision" rifle last week, a Tikka T3 in .308.

I'm mainly wondering what the proper "form" is for shooting. I think I have the breathing down, I try to inhale deeply before, and slowly exhale as I pull the trigger. But still, any suggestions, links, or videos on: posture, breathing, trigger pull, flinching, follow-through, or any other important factors, would be very appreciated.

For example, I'm not quite sure what a "smooth" trigger pull means and how I can let the trigger "surprise" me. I'm also unsure as to how to control flinching, do I want to completely relax my right arm (I'm a RH shooter) before the trigger pull?

Re: New to shooting, any tips on form?

Conventional wisdom is to pull the trigger at the pause *after* you exhale. Watch how the scope moves while you breathe.

Dry firing to prevent flinching, which is just anticipating the recoil. Again, watch the scope, it shouldn't move when you dry fire. Balance a coin at the end of the barrel, it shouldn't fall off.

I'm not much for letting a trigger surprise me, I want it to go exactly when I want it to. You want to get intimate when your trigger so you know exactly when it will break. Your pull should be smooth in that you don't jerk the trigger. Exert just enough force for the break and no more, in a controlled fashion.

I'm not an expert but the above has worked for me.

Take the Sniper's Hide on line course. Cheap at twice or three times the price. You'll be a finer rifleman and the savings on ammo during your learning curve will pay for it many times over. JMHO

Your best bet is to sign up for the online training. I found that everything got a lot better and easier after I did, best money I've spent on shooting so far. Next year after I retire I'm hoping to get down to TX for instruction but until then the online training will do.

welcome to the great world of shooting. Now go ahead and use the search engine before asking a question that has been answered over and over again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STI_1911_Guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">welcome to the great world of shooting. Now go ahead and use the search engine before asking a question that has been answered over and over again. </div></div>

Obviously there are tons of this on Google.

I'm asking Sniper's Hide members on their *personal* suggestions and videos they recommend. There are probably hundreds of videos on online, but I'm sure 90% are terrible, and only 10% are worth watching.

I'm asking this forum to post the 10%. That's all.

---

Will look into the online course. Thanks for the tip.

I should have specified. I did not mean google i meant search the hide for all kinds of stuff on this site already for that topic

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STI_1911_Guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I should have specified. I did not mean google i meant search the hide for all kinds of stuff on this site already for that topic </div></div>

I tried that too, no offense to any SniperHide admins, mods, or coders; but the search here is really bad.

A lot of information the search brought up just wasn't relevant at all. I'll try using Google to search SH though, that might be better.

Find an Appleseed shoot near Atlanta and learn some practical fundamentals from those guys. Great instruction at very low prices ($25 I think).

limitz, what part of Atlanta are you in?

I know three great instructor in the Atlanta area if you wanting to learn first hand.

If your interested just shoot me a PM.

good luck.

I am sort of surprised nobody here mentioned reading a book. Though I know for some this is a task, for me it is a great way to share my time with the porcelin god or a sunday afternoon with a sleeping pitbull..

As is true with most things there is theory and fundamentals to be learned. Then comes practice and use.

Midway has a few good one's as should almost any decent dealer..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: limitz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As I posted in another thread, I'm fairly new to shooting. The first gun I've ever shot was only a few months ago, and since then, I've been hooked. I've only recently picked up my first real "precision" rifle last week, a Tikka T3 in .308.

I'm mainly wondering what the proper "form" is for shooting. I think I have the breathing down, I try to inhale deeply before, and slowly exhale as I pull the trigger. But still, any suggestions, links, or videos on: posture, breathing, trigger pull, flinching, follow-through, or any other important factors, would be very appreciated.

For example, I'm not quite sure what a "smooth" trigger pull means and how I can let the trigger "surprise" me. I'm also unsure as to how to control flinching, do I want to completely relax my right arm (I'm a RH shooter) before the trigger pull? </div></div>

The main thing I was taught is to not significantly alter your breathing. Opportunity to pull the trigger should be controlled by target/conditions and not a reset to your respitory cycle. A deep breath will alter your hold and you again need to reset. At least your not holding your breath. In form, you should be able to hold position for extended time without fatique. Its not like a pitcher throwing a baseball and any required prefix or physical routine in action should be a focus to eliminate.

HTH

Are you shooting prone or off bench and what support mechanisms are you using?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boomholzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: limitz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As I posted in another thread, I'm fairly new to shooting. The first gun I've ever shot was only a few months ago, and since then, I've been hooked. I've only recently picked up my first real "precision" rifle last week, a Tikka T3 in .308.

For example, I'm not quite sure what a "smooth" trigger pull means and how I can let the trigger "surprise" me. I'm also unsure as to how to control flinching, do I want to completely relax my right arm (I'm a RH shooter) before the trigger pull? </div></div>

The main thing I was taught is to not significantly alter your breathing. Opportunity to pull the trigger should be controlled by target/conditions and not a reset to your respitory cycle. A deep breath will alter your hold and you again need to reset. At least your not holding your breath. In form, you should be able to hold position for extended time without fatique. Its not like a pitcher throwing a baseball and any required prefix or physical routine in action should be a focus to eliminate.

HTH

Are you shooting prone or off bench and what support mechanisms are you using? </div></div>

Makes very good sense. Though I've heard from other sources that you're supposed to hold your breath right before the shot I've always felt it was a bit "unnatural".

I shoot off bench and using a 6-9'' notched/swivel Harris bipod.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: svltrack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am sort of surprised nobody here mentioned reading a book. Though I know for some this is a task, for me it is a great way to share my time with the porcelin god or a sunday afternoon with a sleeping pitbull..

As is true with most things there is theory and fundamentals to be learned. Then comes practice and use.

Midway has a few good one's as should almost any decent dealer.. </div></div>

Any specific ones you can recommend? I was thinking of picking up one to really understand Mildot and ranging.

---

I've heard of Appleseed, but don't you need a 22 caliber rifle to participate?

On the Appleseed:

Most people shoot .22's just for the economy of the ammo. You can shoot anything you want there. I brought multiple rifles to the last one here in OK. The guy next to me was shooting a Garand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take the Sniper's Hide on line course. Cheap at twice or three times the price. You'll be a finer rifleman and the savings on ammo during your learning curve will pay for it many times over. JMHO </div></div>

This. You won't regret it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: svltrack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am sort of surprised nobody here mentioned reading a book. Though I know for some this is a task, for me it is a great way to...</div></div>

Any specific ones you can recommend? I was thinking of picking up one to really understand Mildot and ranging.

---
[/quote]

I just finished up Ultimate Sniper, but this might not be your thing. It was an excellent read. There is a ton of stuff in that book that has squat to do with shooting though..

Regardless, or if you are into that it is worth the cost no questions asked.

WHATEVER FORM YOU R COMFORTABLE DO IT THE SAME EVERYTIME AND CONSITANTLY AND YOUR GROUPS SHOULD BE SAME

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: furburner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WHATEVER FORM YOU R COMFORTABLE DO IT THE SAME EVERYTIME AND CONSITANTLY AND YOUR GROUPS SHOULD BE SAME </div></div>

Don't listen to this clown.