• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors New to suppressors, looking for insight

Boonechaser

Private
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2017
Indianapolis
I do not own any suppressors or never owned, shot or handled one so, a complete newbie. I currently own a 6.5CM, 308 and a 300prc. I don’t shoot enough to warrant a dedicated suppressor for each firearm and was hoping there would be a good option for all three weapons. I’ve looked at the silencerco omega 300 and a TB ultra 9 CB. I can’t find the later in stock but was leaning that way. So kinda questioning my thinking and whether there is a good do-all for my 3 rifles.
as well as any info or thoughts on the Omega 300?

they are very nice but I think a tad more than I need and about $7-800 over my budget. Was looking to stay in the 1k range or less.

Rugged would be my second choice. I got lots of sico cans first. Now got tbac...if I could do it all over again I would stick with rugged and tbac

I do not own any suppressors or never owned, shot or handled one so, a complete newbie. I currently own a 6.5CM, 308 and a 300prc. I don’t shoot enough to warrant a dedicated suppressor for each firearm and was hoping there would be a good option for all three weapons. I’ve looked at the silencerco omega 300 and a TB ultra 9 CB. I can’t find the later in stock but was leaning that way. So kinda questioning my thinking and whether there is a good do-all for my 3 rifles.
as well as any info or thoughts on the Omega 300?

I have the Ultra 9 30 cal I use on several guns. When my hunting rifle was still a 30-06 (now 280AI) I used it with the ultra 9 for hunting. When the season was over I threw the 30-06 in the safe.

Over the next 9 months I put over a 1000 rounds through the ultra 9 on multiple rifles, including an AR15 coyote rifle.

When hunting season came around again I pulled my 30-06 out of the safe, screwed the ultra 9 on to zero. My zero was still perfectly where it was 9 months and over 1000 rounds earlier.

If you use it for hunting you may want to consider the Ultra 7 for more compact lighter package. If you’re having problems finding one in stock give the folks at THUNDER BEAST ARMS a call. They can help you with their supply chain and tell you who will have one soon. My understanding is the shipments are going out to dealers every day.

they are very nice but I think a tad more than I need and about $7-800 over my budget. Was looking to stay in the 1k range or less.
Someone is selling a cert for a free TBAC suppressor in the buy/sell section. Pay $1200 get a $2200 338 if that is what you want. I have a Dominus on order with them right now.

Someone is selling a cert for a free TBAC suppressor in the buy/sell section. Pay $1200 get a $2200 338 if that is what you want. I have a Dominus on order with them right now.

I’ll pass, don’t need a $2200 suppressor and the one I’m leaning towards is less than he wants for the cert...

Lots of good cans out there today. Of course the TB is the Cadillac and works well. The Dead Air Nomad is a great can and can be had in stainless steel or titanium. For an all around can at a great price the Nomad Ti does the job.

I have the Ultra 9, my BIL has the omega

Both awesome cans. Mine is direct thread his is direct thread or QD. I find that to be a nice feature.

I recommend the ultra as they are definitely lighter but you’d be happy with either in my opinion

I’ve been running a Dead Air sandman K for about 8 months on my 6.5 PRC, a couple different 308’s, and 300 BO and 556 AR’s I’ve been pretty happy with it but I would not recommend a K can for your first can. I’d go with a 7 inch can. They give you good suppression but aren’t crazy long. A lot of companies seem to be going with fatter cans that give you more volume for gasses which makes for a quieter can. I have a Dead Air Nomad and Nomad-L both only have about 100 rounds though that but they are pretty quiet. TBAC cans have always impressed me as well but I have no personal experience with them other then unboxing mine the other day. I think if you can swing it the Dominus may be the can to beat but I haven’t even gun it on a gun yet.

The biggest thing I can tell you is buy quality, and the best one you can afford.

I have to agree with @Huskydriver, TBAC would be my first choice for your use followed closely by rugged.

The TBAC cans are worth every penny, lightweight and quite for their size. If only running on bolt guns I wouldn’t look at any other brand.

If you plan to run them on both bolt guns and semi autos I would look at the rugged surge. I prefer their mounting system with the locking collar when running on a semi. They are a decent bit heavier than the TBAC but are cheaper, modular, and have a rock solid dual taper mounting system. They tend to have a bit more POI shift than the TBAC’s because of the extra weight but no accuracy difference.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, as I figured it’s be a Ford vs Chevy conversation. I run across a banish 30 and it seems to be a great Ti can for less than a grand, with supposedly dropping a 308 by 34db and a lifetime warranty.
Still not sold on it but have added to my list.

Reactions: MarinePMI
I’ve been running a Dead Air sandman K for about 8 months on my 6.5 PRC, a couple different 308’s, and 300 BO and 556 AR’s I’ve been pretty happy with it but I would not recommend a K can for your first can. I’d go with a 7 inch can. They give you good suppression but aren’t crazy long. A lot of companies seem to be going with fatter cans that give you more volume for gasses which makes for a quieter can. I have a Dead Air Nomad and Nomad-L both only have about 100 rounds though that but they are pretty quiet. TBAC cans have always impressed me as well but I have no personal experience with them other then unboxing mine the other day. I think if you can swing it the Dominus may be the can to beat but I haven’t even gun it on a gun yet.

The biggest thing I can tell you is buy quality, and the best one you can afford.

I did go to a local shop yesterday that pushed a dead air sandman K pretty hard but after some reviews and yours, I’m definitely not sold on it. But have been eyeing a Nomad 30 Ti.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aescobar17
If you only plan on getting one suppressor I would go all out and get the TBAC, especially if it’s for use on bolt guns/precision rifles.

Reactions: rady and Hoax001
I did go to a local shop yesterday that pushed a dead air sandman K pretty hard but after some reviews and yours, I’m definitely not sold on it. But have been eyeing a Nomad 30 Ti.

you’d be sorely disappointed with the Sandman K for your uses. I’ve got a Sandman K, Sandmand S, Nomad, Nomad Ti, and had the full line of Ultras as well as Sandman Ti. Personally my choice would be between the Ultra 7, Nomad, and Nomad Ti.

Reactions: Jlknights61
I run the Sandman K on my defensive SBR. I don’t care about quiet on it. I just want it short, handy, and not to kill my ears. It works perfectly for that role. Quiet it is not.

ultra 9 or DominusSR would be my choices hands down

find a 50% off cert and you'll be well under budget

Definitely a nice can (the banisher). I've run a Banisher the last few years, and it has held up well, easily disassembled for cleaning with their baffle jack tool, and has great sound reduction. The newer ones can be shortened as well, if needed, by taking off the extension and two baffles.

Reactions: Boonechaser

Don’t get me wrong I love the sandman-k but it’s just not as quiet as a 7in can is going to be. I’ve got a sandman-s on order to try out to see how it compares to other full size cans. I like their mounting system and their build quality. I think that the 5” cans have a big place on hunting rifles and obviously when you’re trying to save length. But everyone I know that has bought one for their first can is always a little disappointed.

When you’re talking about a 9+ month ATF wait, waiting a month or so for a TBAC ultra series to come in stock shouldn’t be a deal breaker... especially for a vastly superior can.

I’d go with the Ultra 7 though, 9 is pretty damn long.

I know it may not be possible, but if you haven't shot with a silencer before I'd recommend doing that. Just so your expectations are realistic. Especially since you're planning on using it just for supersonic ammunition. I know some ranges will allow you to rent them, it may be worth it even if you don't plan on buying that exact one.

When I bought my ultra 9 my goal was as quiet as I could get. Shooting open field, targets and hunting, across multiple platforms. Bolts
In 223/300BO/260/6.5/308/300 and AR10/15.

In MY experience and for MY uses I want the most effective suppressor. I sacrificed weapon length for effectiveness of the can. So for this reason I like the 7”+ cans.

The models that you can break down from full size to 5” and run on platforms up to 338 or 9mm would be great options as well. SilencerCo 36m would be my next consideration as I could run that on any of my platforms including my cz scorpion

IMO if your looking for hearing safe then stay away from the 5” and k models to start. If your going to add length to the gun and still need ear pro then just go with a brake. It’s more effective at controlling muzzle jump etc

The shorter cans have their place, especially on hunting platforms. But as mentioned above it’s a long wait and something you’ll have a long time so make sure it accomplishes your most important needs first.

You’ll end up with multiple cans most likely as not 1 can covers every need

Also consider the mounting system. DT vs QD. Some are better than others. Some cans are compatible with other companies mounts. Cans like the Omega (at least the one my BIL bought) came with DT and QD ASR mount. Which is nice because you can run either. So you can run DT while purchasing QD mounts for all your rifles

If you go QD don’t forget to factor the cost of the muzzle devices into your budget. You’d likely need to buy 2 additional brakes for your rifles as it will likely come with 1 brake in the box with the can.

I run a decent amount of rifles through 1 can. I have direct thread. I want to go CB mount but the threads on my AR10 are to long for the brake so I’ll probably just stay DT

In my case I’ll spend almost as much on brakes as I did the ultra 9 to cover my rifles.

I purchased a Saker ASR 556 for the AR 556 platforms and use the ultra 9 strictly for precision guns now

I would seriously look at the Rugged Radiant. It's a combo hard use, light weight suppressor. It can be configured in a 7" length or a 5" length. Price is under $1k with a muzzle device. I would say its a working man's tbac dominus. Rugged also has a lot of mounts to choose from so if you want a flash hider, big brake, compact brake they have an option.

Reactions: Aescobar17
Dead Air Nomad-Ti, or Nomad-LT... I've got a Nomad-LT sitting at the SOT waiting on my stamp right now.

I would seriously look at the Rugged Radiant. It's a combo hard use, light weight suppressor. It can be configured in a 7" length or a 5" length. Price is under $1k with a muzzle device. I would say its a working man's tbac dominus. Rugged also has a lot of mounts to choose from so if you want a flash hider, big brake, compact brake they have an option.

I have a radiant that should be released soon, it’s a great all around can with no barrel restrictions while still being lightweight and modular. The brake that comes with it is also only 1.5oz. It also puts up respectable numbers.

Griffin Explorr ex3 is a great option. I’ve shot 300wm and 6.5 creed through mine and it sounds great with both. SS has them for $750 right now plus $100 gift card.

Pick good mfg with reliable warranty so when u fuck it up they fix it (duh)
Good mounts for going to different barrel.
Light. Go light if possible.
Enjoy it. Let others run it...

Reactions: Vivacious Stallion
My first suppressor was a Tbac ultra 7. Great can for most hosts in the precision world. I use an ultra 9 on my 300norma. It’s quieter than I expected it would be. I don’t personally feel the need to buy a 338 until I move out of the .30 bullets. I also own si co omega and oss hxqd. I tell everyone that asks if I had to do it all again I’d buy a Tbac ultra 7/9 for my bolt guns 9 if you’re not worried about length and shooting magnums. I’d also bite the bullet and file for a 762 oss can if you shoot semis. Hands down the best suppressor on semis imo. Frank has some interesting findings on accuracy on here. Don’t believe all the info haters post about them.

Dead air nomad. Most versatile can out there right now. There are multiple options within the nomad line as well. Lifetime warranty and no barrel length restrictions. Dead air is dominating the suppressor game right now with the sandman getting multiple military and socom contracts

Reactions: FuhQ
Definitely a nice can (the banisher). I've run a Banisher the last few years, and it has held up well, easily disassembled for cleaning with their baffle jack tool, and has great sound reduction. The newer ones can be shortened as well, if needed, by taking off the extension and two baffles.
I agree, I have had my Banish30 for a few years worked well for me.

Newbie here also <<<<<

I went with the Gunwerks 8ight for my first suppressor as it has an adapter you could run on each rifle, end cap reducers for each caliber and #1 they are affordable and I stock 90% of the time. Price point and quality was great for me as I run it on 22lr, 223/556, 6.5 Creedmoor, 300 PRC. It’s very quiet as well which helps keep neighbors from complaining.

I have no need for a second can but if I did I would personally go for another Gunwerks for all of the above reasons.

You could build 3 full titanium/SS cans for the price of buying one....

The vast majority of cans are complete waste of money with 300% profit. There is really not much to them.

Not to mention your tax stamp wait time is measured in weeks not Years.

You could build 3 full titanium/SS cans for the price of buying one....

The vast majority of cans are complete waste of money with 300% profit. There is really not much to them.

Not to mention your tax stamp wait time is measured in weeks not Years.

I did a combo. Did a JK Amarment form 1 can when I ordered my form 4 cans. Although the JK armament is a cool concept and is holding up well, it isn’t as refined or built to be as durable as my rugged or dead air suppressors. Form 1 cans are cool but I’d much rather have my form 4 cans. The JK just helps the waiting period go by faster because I still have something the play with.