• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to the 10/22 game

Andyroonie

Andyroonie
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2020
Baton Rouge Louisiana
New to the 10/22 game and I want to know what parts I should use to finish out my build. I don’t want to cheap out and just get what ever parts I can find. What are the best bang for buck trigger and bolt should I look into.
8E044542-A277-42B7-AC6D-F267E9B0BA49.jpeg

What MarkCZ said, KIDD is the best in the 22LR game, but you will pay for it. I have three full KIDD rifles and they are all amazing.

Reactions: BMP
Might as well keep it rolling. I've ran Tony's stuff since 2008. His two stage trigger is second to none. Go with KIDD and don't look back.

Brad

I just put a Kidd 8oz trigger on my 10/22 Custom Shop.
I shot a few matches next to a guy with a Kidd and came in second to him.
As I fed my 52D single shot, he pulled off round after round almost effortlessly with that trigger.
-Richard

Attachments

• 30E66FA1-1440-46BE-96B9-00BD49F9F065.jpeg
    30E66FA1-1440-46BE-96B9-00BD49F9F065.jpeg
    718.3 KB · Views: 66
Definitely Kidd parts are the way to go…
Trigger, barrel and bolt would be a good start…

Another plus 1 for Kidd trigger. I prefer single stage for hunting.
20220225_181432~2.jpg

Barrel is a 16" Tactical Solutions’ X-RING. Some 10 shot groups at 50 yards with a 6X scope. I'm not a great shot, but good enough for small game.
20220530_111452.jpg

Last edited:
Mines all cheap parts and can shoots 1/2-3/4" groups at 50 and shot a .142 at 25 all with cheap with bulk ammo. Need to see what match would do. Cycles subs too and shoots them well.

Green mountain 20" bull barrel, factory bolt(polished), cleaned the over spray out of receiver, and the trigger is half home job half store bought.

It's also 13.3 pounds now

Reactions: NewsShooter
I will disagree with you. The Kidd single stage is the best. ;) LOL
The 2 stage trigger goes down 3oz / 3oz. the single stage is 1.5lb. I will take the 3oz/3oz for myself. The 2 stage has faster lock time than any other trigger, close to some bolt guns.

Bought a BXR thinking it would shoot better then a stock Ruger 10-22. Should have first gone with the KIDD Super grade and saved the BXR $$$ for match ammo.

OFG

This 1970 bone stock 10/22 eliminated 24 MF'ing Red Squirrels in 2022. You don't need to spend a lot of money to have a rifle accurate enough to eliminate vermin.

p1264828482-5.jpg

Reactions: 10ring1 and mtrmn
This 1970 bone stock 10/22 eliminated 24 MF'ing Red Squirrels in 2022. You don't need to spend a lot of money to have a rifle accurate enough to eliminate vermin.

p1264828482-5.jpg
Beautiful old 10/22. Not the most accurate 22 ever built but absolutely one of the best!

Reactions: 10ring1
Beautiful old 10/22. Not the most accurate 22 ever built but absolutely one of the best!
Thanks, its one of my most useful rifles. You say not accurate, but that is really all in the definition of accurate. With the right ammo this rifle will hold a 1/2" group at 50 yards.

In my experience, these rifles are pretty ammo sensitive. This one seems to really enjoy 36gr CCI if I am recalling correctly. (Not terribly accurate ammo either.)

For example, it won't hold an inch at 50 shooting that green box Remington stuff.

Reactions: mtrmn
So is the BXR steel a good starting point ? Then add a KIDD trigger and great scope?

DrDeath, if you don't mind spending the money, just go all KIDD, here is my build list for my steel challenge rifle: KIDD Supergrade Barreled Action / KIDD Tactical Chassis / C-More RTS2R w/Mount / Phase 5 Universal Mini Stock / Phase 5 A2 Extention Tube / Phase 5 Buffer Tube Foam Pad / Bravo Company Gunfighter Pistol Grip / Bravo Company Gunfighter KAG Hand Stop

Th KIDD chassis is really well made, just need to add your stock of choice.

If you want a more traditional rifle, I have the same thing in a KRG chassis which is my hunting set up.

It is light, fast, and awesome!

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    393.3 KB · Views: 46
Reactions: Tazmon
If you are on a budget and have a Ruger already, consider Randy at CT Precision Chamber. For a bit over $200 he will

1) cut and rechamber your barrel
2) true the breach face of your barrel
3) rework and true your bolt
4) crown your muzzle
5) tune your trigger
6) drill a cleaning hole in the back of the receiver.

It's the best deal going. A few years ago I bought one of the Walmart special 10/22s with the 22 inch barrel for use at appleseed events with open sights. It didn't shoot great, but I wanted to try to make it work because the 22 inch barrel gives a nice long sight radius. I got it back and put it in a Titan stock and it's a great shooter. No. It's not nearly as accurate as my Kidd, which shoots 1 moa at 50 yards with CCI SV, but it's accurate enough to be fun.

Reactions: Westcoast308
My vote is for Kidd. My rifle ( Kidd barreled action in a KRG bravo) will shoot in the same class as guns costing Much more. And compared to a friends ruger with flawless reliability mine has given me 2 malfunctions in 3 years, all without disassembly for cleaning. The ruger my friend had would give him 1 choke in every ten round stage, then with work and Kidd parts down to one or two chokes per match ( about 100 rounds) while the Kidd just plain runs

My vote is for Kidd. My rifle ( Kidd barreled action in a KRG bravo) will shoot in the same class as guns costing Much more. And compared to a friends ruger with flawless reliability mine has given me 2 malfunctions in 3 years, all without disassembly for cleaning. The ruger my friend had would give him 1 choke in every ten round stage, then with work and Kidd parts down to one or two chokes per match ( about 100 rounds) while the Kidd just plain runs

My Kidd is 1 moa at 50 yards with CCI Standard Velocity. It opens up considerably at 100 and goes all to hell at 200. I've just acquired some higher end ammo and am pretty confident it will do much better at 200 with the better ammo. I'm a relative novice at rifle shooting compared to most of you, but know enough to know what I don't know. I just bought a Bergara barreled action so I can get more proficient at working a bolt. But I worry that my "precision" bolt gun won't shoot as well as my Kidd 10/22. Ha.

As far as reliability is concerned. My experience with 2 Kidds is that with the relatively tight Bentz chamber, they are more sensitive to being dirty than a stock 10/22. I can go roughly 300 rounds with my Kidd before I need to clean the chamber. I use the term "clean" loosely. 2 passes with a bore snake and some oil on the inside of the receiver where the bolt rider and it's good to go. No need to run a rod down the barrel. Just a couple of passes with the snake and it's fine.

Other than that my Kidd has been very reliable.

dcmdon you will probably get an improvement when shooting better ammo. CCI standard isn’t bad, but you will get much better results with some flavor of European ammo such as eley SK or Lapua, especially at longer ranges. One of the places I shoot routinely shoots to 300 and my Kidd holds its own just fine against the bolt guns ( SK pistol match special)

Reactions: Pipefitter I’m
If you are on a budget and have a Ruger already, consider Randy at CT Precision Chamber. For a bit over $200 he will

1) cut and rechamber your barrel
2) true the breach face of your barrel
3) rework and true your bolt
4) crown your muzzle
5) tune your trigger
6) drill a cleaning hole in the back of the receiver.

It's the best deal going. A few years ago I bought one of the Walmart special 10/22s with the 22 inch barrel for use at appleseed events with open sights. It didn't shoot great, but I wanted to try to make it work because the 22 inch barrel gives a nice long sight radius. I got it back and put it in a Titan stock and it's a great shooter. No. It's not nearly as accurate as my Kidd, which shoots 1 moa at 50 yards with CCI SV, but it's accurate enough to be fun.
Results from my CPC tuned bone stock target model, the trigger is great too. 5 shots 50yrds Eley target and Force, no cherry picking groups and that’s the cheapest of the Eley stuff too. And a 10 shot 50yrd group of CCI standard. The barrel isn’t even close to being broken in either. Even Aguila super extra shoots about a 1/2”-5/8”with the cheap ammo typical flyer. The gun never jams and is very very smooth now as well. Oh yay 3-week turnaround.

Attachments

• IMG_5037.jpeg
    IMG_5037.jpeg
    484.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5032.jpeg
    IMG_5032.jpeg
    446.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5029.jpeg
    IMG_5029.jpeg
    466.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3932.jpeg
    IMG_3932.jpeg