• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to the AI community

Breacherman

Private
Minuteman
May 26, 2014
Hello everybody, I'm new to the AI world and long rang shooting as well. I've done a little with a savage around 150 yards. I just got a Remington 700 in 308 and an AI 1.5 for it. I'm gonna put a vortex on it for now until I save enough for a Leupold. I was just wondering if any of you good kind people have any advice for me

There is a wealth of information on this site. My advise is to read, read, and read some more...
Any question you could ever think of has an answer with a quick search.

Welcome to the Hide! Stick around and soak up some information.

New to the AI community

Welcome.

Nothing wrong with that setup. Get a high end Vortex if you want a Vortex, or buy a NF.

Welcome.

Nothing wrong with that setup. Get a high end Vortex if you want a Vortex, or buy a NF.

I wish I could afford a NF I'm on a REALLY low budget. The scope is a hand me down from my dad. I paid $586 for the rifle and $703 for the chassis

Welcome.

Welcome. This is a great source for everything AI. I am a huge AI fan myself. I agree with Graham. Go with vortex. You can upgrade to a high ene vortex down the road.

You'll definitely learn a lot on this site, as I have, but you'll learn much more when you get out and start shooting. If questions come up, just post them in the appropriate section here and they'll usually be answered in an hour or less-certainly by the next morning. Good Luck and be Safe! Welcome to the Club! Many great people here to chat with about anything!

I remember when I joined a few years back, when I didnt know anything besides a little about hand guns. Looking through the scopes section I was totally confused, now I know much more. When I go into the Night Vision section its like going into the scopes section all over again hahaha, you will learn a lot on this here fine site.

Put it all together and torqued properly and shoot the ---- out of it. When you aren't shooting practice dry fire. When you aren't doing that read from others on here. Most important thing though, enjoy yourself while you learn and improve your skills. Welcome to the family, your credit card is about to hate your new favorite hobby.

Get a good optic as Graham mentioned above and get an inch pound torque wrench for the chassis (and pretty much everything else on the rifle). I was able to get .35 to .45 center to center 5 round groups out of a Savage rifle in a Choate stock primarily because I torqued the bolts to exactly 60 inch pounds every time I reinstalled the action in the bedding block. The AI chassis will serve you well, just be consistent in how you torque it and you will get consistent results.

Sounds like a nice setup to me. I have watched guys with the same setup outshoot guys with AIs ( I'm one of them that got outshot) Remember ammo is expensive. So that's where I would spend the money until you save up for upgrades. The nice part about this sport is that you can sell your old stuff and get most of your money back as you upgrade. It's addicting.

Skip the vortex and leupold and buy a nightforce. If you absolutely can't spend the money right now I'd recommend the SWFA 3-15. It's a better scope than a vortex and will have a better resale value when you go to upgrade.

Leupold MK4's are nice glass. I've busted many a prairie dog (including around 80 of them last week) using variants of that scope.

I like the turrets on the NF, glass of the Leupolds. Zero issues with Leupold reliability in 20 years including .338LM and many a 50 bmg.