• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to the forum, here's my first post. R700 .338

MattDamnit

Private
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2012
Somerset, Kentucky
Just got the rifle not too long ago. Haven't shot it yet.
uXL6T.jpg

z8uTg.jpg

dE4Xh.jpg

XYSyP.jpg

TagLY.jpg

R700 Police Magnum
AICS Chassis
8.5-25x50 Mark 4

I've never even fired a bolt gun, my first "precision" rifle. Really looking forward to getting into the game. Any tips and guidance would be great. Although I'm finding I may want to switch to .308 with the prices of ammo haha.

I look forward to becoming a part of the community here.

Re: New to the forum, here's my first post. R700 .338

My best advice is sell it before you fire it. If its your first bolt-action you've messed up.

Sell it and buy a .22 lr and sign up for the Hide training or take a class in person. Once you've learned what you're doing, save some money and take the leftover from selling this rifle and get a good .308 or a similar round in a more practical gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My best advice is sell it before you fire it. If its your first bolt-action you've messed up.

Sell it and buy a .22 lr and sign up for the Hide training or take a class in person. Once you've learned what you're doing, save some money and take the leftover from selling this rifle and get a good .308 or a similar round in a more practical gun. </div></div>

I'm definitely going to shoot it before I sell it. I'm just going to trade or sell it and buy a .308 platform that is extremely similar. I'm new to precision shooting not shooting in general.

Do not sell the gun. Buy yourself a 22 and so forth and get tons of practice and work your way up to that gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My best advice is sell it before you fire it. If its your first bolt-action you've messed up.

Sell it and buy a .22 lr and sign up for the Hide training or take a class in person. Once you've learned what you're doing, save some money and take the leftover from selling this rifle and get a good .308 or a similar round in a more practical gun. </div></div>

That is TERRIBLE advice. Come on ty!!

Buy all the .338LM ammo that you can and shoot away. The economy needs all the stimulating it can get and a few hundred rounds of match .338LM ammo is certainly a step in the right direction for economic stimulus!!
wink.gif

Seriously, while everyone should own the firearms they want, if you are new to bolt guns/precision rifle shooting and your first step was this .338LM, you may not stick with them too long for several reasons. In addition to being a DAMN FORTUNE to shoot if you aren't reloading, the caliber isn't exactly an entry-level one for someone just getting started into precision rifle shooting. Also, the capabilities of the .338LM are completely wasted unless you have the range to stretch it out. Depending on how far you'll be shooting as your max range...there are MANY better options (especially for a beginning in long range precision).

In any event, its a nice looking rifle...now go get something a little more appropriate for learning the basics of precision rifle shooting and then get some formal instruction before you jump into the deep end of the pool and drown!
wink.gif

Oh...and just as another beginner tip...YOUR BIPOD IS ON BACKWARDS in the first four pics above.

Ok, so let's start correctly by saying, welcome Snipers Hide. If you're just starting out in precision rifle, then maybe the 338 LM is a bit much. Most of the reasons why have already been outlined.. You can also start with a 223 or 308. If you find you really like it fast, then run out and get into hand loading which will cancel out the whole " it's to expensive to train with center fire ammo". While the .22 for training is good advise, it doesn't sound like you need that. Besides, the feel of a .22 under recoil is nothing like that of any Centerfire round.

I'm a firm believer in letting people make their own choices, so if you feel like what you have is good to start with, then go for it. You will learn just fine, only it will cost you a lot more to do so. Best of luck on which ever way you go.

Are you from.......Reddit? :) These pics look pretty familiar

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dx_caliber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you from.......Reddit? :) These pics look pretty familiar </div></div>

Sure am ha.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, so let's start correctly by saying, welcome Snipers Hide. If you're just starting out in precision rifle, then maybe the 338 LM is a bit much. Most of the reasons why have already been outlined.. You can also start with a 223 or 308. If you find you really like it fast, then run out and get into hand loading which will cancel out the whole " it's to expensive to train with center fire ammo". While the .22 for training is good advise, it doesn't sound like you need that. Besides, the feel of a .22 under recoil is nothing like that of any Centerfire round.

I'm a firm believer in letting people make their own choices, so if you feel like what you have is good to start with, then go for it. You will learn just fine, only it will cost you a lot more to do so. Best of luck on which ever way you go. </div></div>

I'm really thinking about taking the dive into reloading. It's that or selling this and getting a .308 in the same setup. That's the plan anyways.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
tylerw02 said:
Oh...and just as another beginner tip...YOUR BIPOD IS ON BACKWARDS in the first four pics above. </div></div>

Ha, I know I wasn't paying attention when I put it on and felt pretty stupid after.