• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

New to the m1a pointers etc wanted

mlh29

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2008
Lafargeville, NY 13656
OK I am new to the m1a platform, I have used and continue to use bolt rifles and recently got a springfield socom 16 in trade for an ar I built.
I have it set up as a short range scout gun, 2.5 leupold in warne qd rings, going to put a magpul polymer rail pice on the forend to mount a surefire scout light I hae laying around.

I want to run a harris bipod but am in need of an adapter or ?

Opinions on the rifle, ammo suggestions( I reload) and practical accesories (looking for good 5 and 10 rd mags a good sling etc) are welcome( not going tacti cool on this the surefire will be used on coyotes and the like)

Re: New to the m1a pointers etc wanted

only buy CMI mags or Springfield (which are CMI), which will save yourself a bunch of headaches. Otherwise, sounds like your G2G already. Check out the M14 Firing line forum, they have some real experts over there...

also, the sights are NOT correct for distance on the socoms and scouts - ie, when you dial 3 300yards is not where you hit. On the normal barrel lenghts this is right on - only annoying when you have multiple barrell lengths in my opinion...

I purchased the sadlak adpater for my harris bipod on my Standard M1A since its a wood stock, and read the harris mount may have issues cracking the wood with excessive use, I coulda made my own cheaper but I have so much going on and work 6 days a week I spent the extra just to be done with it.

Check 44mag and brownells for the CMI Magazines, I need to email someone, The 10 round CMI I got isnt feeding good, the locking piece in the back seems to be spotwelded in the wrong spot side by side with the 10 rounder that came with my rifle and when you load 5 rounds 1-2 rounds in the middle rattle around. Im sure theyill adress this issue I just havent had time to call anyone yet.

Also when I got the bipod adapter I had to dremel out some of my wood stock to get the inner piece to clear the piston and sit flush into the stock wasnt a big deal just took some time as I was going slow and taking my time.

If your looking for accuracy out of your M1A, I would suggest shimming the gas cylinder and unitizing your gas cylinder as well if you don't plan on running a sage chassis. Also depending on when your gun was made, you can have a USGI fiberglass stock or the crappy plastic one that springfield uses now. If you have the flimsy plastic one, upgrade to something else especially if your gonna run a bipod. A wood stock or USGI fiberglass are the cheapest and easiest to get. CMI as already stated for the mags, and get lots of trigger time. M1A's are addictive so enjoy.
TD

What's wrong with the current synthetics? I've only used one once, ...

Well even though it is my rifle, the current production stocks ( tupperware like everyone makes now) leave alot to be desired. They are just a blow molded, flimsy, slippery, cheap alternative to a good stock.

I actually looked at a mcmillan ( a3? with the adj cheek ) could of had it with a decked out swivel harris for 500.. but even at the lowest setting I could not get on the irons. WIll be looking into a USGI fiberglass unit ( I am on a budget) if one could be had reasonable.

Any how to's on bedding a m1a? Have mixed up a bit of devcon in the past with Rem 700 and a few ruger 10-22

ALso any reviews on the troy battle rail ( hinking about installing one so I can use regular scope and scout scope with a surefire m600 scout mounted out front..
Thanks