• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to the scene.. First rifle. Savage 12 LRP .260

bradykiller

Private
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2012
Just wanted to drop in and say hi, got my first rifle - basically wanted a long range target rifle and this is what my friend pointed me in the direction of..

Savage 12 LRP .260 Rem
Sightron SIII SS 6-24x50
Accurate Mag DBM
AICS 10 Rd Mag
Harris 1A2-BRM Bipod
TPS 1-Piece XP Tactical 20 MOA
Burris Xtreme Tactical Rings (medium)

Image00002.jpg

Image00003.jpg

Image00004.jpg

Image00005.jpg

Image00006.jpg

Image00001.jpg

Re: New to the scene.. First rifle. Savage 12 LRP .260

Really nice, I know you will be happy with it. Every savage I've ever owned has been a shooter. With the right handloads it will really surprise you.

I've very happy with it so far.. i've only shot it one time so far, put about 80 rds through it.. It shoots VERY nice, and quite easily. Only my second time shooting a large rifle, and i was easily able to hit 3" targets at 200 yrds with the rifle on my first time out. I did just pickup stuff to do my own handloads, trying to decide between 123 and 139gr scenars.. maybe i'll just try both.
wink.gif

Congrats!!

With a 8" twist you should be able to shoot the 139gr with good results.

I am having my Sako rebarreled for a 260 with 1-8" twist. I am wanting to shoot the 139gr Scenars or 140gr SMK.

Try the nosler custom comps. I tried the scenars not that impressed as for the noslers I was very impressed.

I bought the same rifle,added a vortex viper pst and egw rings and base. I loadad up some 140smk's and h4350 its below half inch if i do my part. I could not be happier.

Great rifle - for anybody, but especially for a first timer. Enjoy.

Can anyone recommend a couple good tactical stocks for this rifle? I think that's pretty much all i have left to get...

thats a hs stock in pic right,thats a good stock only thing that is a upgrade is a manners folder or mcm or a Mcree chas

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bradykiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can anyone recommend a couple good tactical stocks for this rifle? I think that's pretty much all i have left to get... </div></div>

Not a bad stock already, but a manners or McMillan sure would be sweet

Oh - forget the ~123gr bullets. You want the 140s. Lots of good ones; I think the Hornady 140hpbt is the pick of the litter for cost/performance....IF your rifle likes them, and it probably will.

The HS Prec is a fine stock but I love the McM A-3 on my Savage.

it all comes down to what u want .i use mcree chasy it is abused but my rifle is a tool but buy what you feel right with i would spend about 500 rounds behind the rifle before swapping out the stock u may find you dont like it or you want a better barrel or trigger ,,,changing stock wont make you hit targets better ,but trigger time will

You have a great package there, I've been looking at that same gun and also a huge Sightron fan, incredibly clear glass for the price. Anyway to get that scope closer to the barrel? Hows the cheek weld? I had to add a Karsten Cheek Rest to my .338 Lapua Savage 110 FCP with HS Precision stock, I was shooting of my jaw...

Go with the heavier high BC pills your 8 twist can handle them...

If your dead set on a modular tactical stock this one is a little more reasonably priced, I'm sure you could sell the factory stock. http://www.xlrindustries.com/evolution.html

Nice rifle.

That is a good quality stock already on it. Put a cheek rest on it, that allows you a proper sight picture and be done with it.

From there I would go straight to load development.

If anything, I would set money aside for an optics upgrade in the future, rather than a stock upgrade.

You are G2G for the time, have fun and have a safe 4th of July.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Remember all of those deployed right now that are not spending time with friends and family. </span>

you could have bought a lot worse, great choice of rifle and caliber, the .260 is awesome. Any 140 with H4350 will work way past 1000yds. The sightron SIII is an excellent scope, I have two of them and they work great.
congrats, let us know how she shoots.

I have the same rifle on order and am looking forward to getting it. I have the same stock on a Rem 700 rifle and they are very good stocks. Suggest you heed the advice from earlier posts and get a lot of trigger time on the gun as it is. If you are itching to spend more $, spend it on different reloading components and tools. I plan on starting with a few different 139-142gr loads with H4350.

Best of luck with the new rig.

Thanks for all the responses guys, think i'm gonna skip on getting a stock for now.. i just ordered a few different kinds of bullets to try. Nosler 140s, Hornady AMAX 140s, an some SMK 140s.

Dovetailing in to what CrawDad was saying - maybe consider going with low rings? It looks like the gap above the barrel is nearing an inch...

Nice rifle though. XLR chassis would rock if you opt to ditch the current stock.

Dib

I buy the 142 SMK in 500 rd bulk packs. Don't forget them. I use them in 4 rifles

I'm going to pile on to much of what has been said earlier.

I have a Mdl 12 LRP in 260 and love it. I did my load development and went with 142 SMK with H4350 and have been very happy.

A recent trip to a 1000 yard range went very well. The Savage is shooting so well in the factory set up that I can't justify buying a different stock. Heavy as a boat anchor, but a nice shooter. Enjoy!

Remnar