• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New toy.........Armalite AR10 National Match

holy cow

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 22, 2010
    South East Ohio
    I recently purchased a new old stock Armalite AR10 National Match rifle in the box that was built back around 2012 before the company was bought and moved to Arizona. It is threaded and has a flash hider and came with a lot of extra stuff. I have had a bunch of Armalite rifles over the years and I have always been a fan of them, the older models. I had intentions of changing out the trigger but the factory NM trigger is really decent. I still will more than likely buy a custom trigger to have on hand. Barrel is a 10 twist and 20 inches long. With the way things are going I am thinking of buying another 1 of these new in the box just to store away. Receiver fit is as tight as it comes on this and was happy it did not have a bunch of or a little wiggle in it.

It came with a factory black nylon sling to use on it. I need some help on where I can find a top of the line leather sling for it or some companies that I can check out that make some nice stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_20220723_172156715.jpg
      IMG_20220723_172156715.jpg
      408.3 KB · Views: 195
    • IMG_20220723_172207418.jpg
      IMG_20220723_172207418.jpg
      312.9 KB · Views: 203
    • IMG_20220723_172215828.jpg
      IMG_20220723_172215828.jpg
      255.7 KB · Views: 230
    • IMG_20220723_172223603.jpg
      IMG_20220723_172223603.jpg
      467.4 KB · Views: 188
    I'm sure Milt Sparks can whip up the best leather sling you've ever seen.....even though they don't list it.
    Give him a call.
    I don't think a person on earth could say his shit is less than the very best.

I'm sure Milt Sparks can whip up the best leather sling you've ever seen.....even though they don't list it.
    Give him a call.
    I don't think a person on earth could say his shit is less than the very best.

Thanks for the info, I will check it out.

A “Ron Brown” will be the best M1907 sling you can find and anything you will wait years for will improve on it only slightly.

Reactions: sinister
    I recently purchased a new old stock Armalite AR10 National Match rifle in the box that was built back around 2012 before the company was bought and moved to Arizona. It is threaded and has a flash hider and came with a lot of extra stuff. I have had a bunch of Armalite rifles over the years and I have always been a fan of them, the older models. I had intentions of changing out the trigger but the factory NM trigger is really decent. I still will more than likely buy a custom trigger to have on hand. Barrel is a 10 twist and 20 inches long. With the way things are going I am thinking of buying another 1 of these new in the box just to store away. Receiver fit is as tight as it comes on this and was happy it did not have a bunch of or a little wiggle in it.

It came with a factory black nylon sling to use on it. I need some help on where I can find a top of the line leather sling for it or some companies that I can check out that make some nice stuff.
    Are you sure it is a 1:10? I have 2 older Armalites and they are 1:11.25" twist. Originally set up for 168gr Match but mine shoot great all the way up to 175gr. My barrels are not marked but came directly from Armalite.

Ron Brown
    Les Tam
    Turner Saddlery
    Numrick Gun Parts

Paging @sinister , I’m fairly sure AMU still uses these rifles and they hammer at 1k with 185 Berger Hybrids. Pop a March Service Rifle Scope on there, do some quick load testing and go challenge Brandon Green.

Reactions: Jsp556
    Yes it is a 10 twist. I bought this from a fellow who bought a batch of the competition rifles that where built in Genesee Illinois back in early 2010-13 before they were bought out and moved to Arizona. I had the option to get this rifle or another that was not threaded with a flash suppressor. It also came with another front detachable front site and a small box with extra site blades with different thickness to install in it. He did say these rifles were built and used in AMU. As soon as I get my funds straightened out I will buy the other new in the box AR10 NM that is not threaded and eventually scope it up. I think the only thing I may change on the rifle is the factory hand grip and the buffer and spring. Need to take it apart and clean it and oil some stuff up and get some ammo. I will use this rifle to shoot open sites only and when the time comes to buy the other rifle I will put a scope on it.

Attachments

• IMG_20220724_095537803.jpg
      IMG_20220724_095537803.jpg
      182.5 KB · Views: 88
    Last edited:
    Creedmoor Sports carries the Turner, Ron Brown, and other Service Rifle slings. They also carry civilian match and international rifle slings.

I'm never selling my AR-10s. When I die they go to my son.

If I was to change anything on the Armalite National Match AR-10 it would be to take out the buffer and replace it with an XH Heavy Buffer and Tubb buffer spring to make my brass last longer.

National Match rules say the grip has to be a standard GI A1 or A2. If you're not shooting NRA or CMP matches, modify the rifle to whatever you want.

Yes it is a 10 twist. I bought this from a fellow who bought a batch of the competition rifles that where built in Genesee Illinois back in early 2010-13 before they were bought out and moved to Arizona. I had the option to get this rifle or another that was not threaded with a flash suppressor. It also came with another front detachable front site and a small box with extra site blades with different thickness to install in it. He did say these rifles were built and used in AMU. As soon as I get my funds straightened out I will buy the other new in the box AR10 NM that is not threaded and eventually scope it up. I think the only thing I may change on the rifle is the factory hand grip and the buffer and spring. I am wondering if I should change it out and if so what would be a good choice to source it from. Would a JP silent captured spring setup change the way it feels shooting the rifle. Need to take it apart and clean it and oil some stuff up and get some ammo. I will use this rifle to shoot open sites only and when the time comes to buy the other rifle I will put a scope on it.
    Good Score! I always wondered why Armalite didn't mark their barrels. Got mine in 2007 so guess they started marking after that! Enjoy.... they are great shooters and rival a bolt gun with the right ammo.

Ron Brown
    Les Tam
    Turner Saddlery
    Numrick Gun Parts

Paging @sinister , I’m fairly sure AMU still uses these rifles and they hammer at 1k with 185 Berger Hybrids. Pop a March Service Rifle Scope on there, do some quick load testing and go challenge Brandon Green.

Thanks for the info on the slings.

Ron Brown slings are definitely superior to Turner's for the same price. Brown's slings are available from Creedmoor Sports. The keepers are really heavy duty and the leather doesn't stretch out after a few years of hard use as the Turner slings do.

Les Tam are considered the best slings, but Ron Brown apparently worked for Les Tam and followed his footsteps in providing a high quality sling without going full custom.

Turner slings are very good, but Ron Brown's leather is of higher quality.
    LS26jZZl.jpg

Last edited:
    • Love
    Reactions: sinister
    The Brown slings are stiff. I mean STIFF. I have one in a clone-shooter 1903 A1 vintage sniper and that sling is like working a brick, but it’s damn nice.

Edit. Fixed rifle nomenclature

Last edited:
    that sling is like working a brick, but it’s damn nice.

Yes, they do take a little time to break in, which is why Les Tam and Ron Brown slings last twice as long under hard use. In all honesty, the Turner sling is perfectly fine for the average shooter/competitor. Like tires (and barrels), a sling is a "wear item" with a limited lifespan that will need periodic replacement.