• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing new TOY!

LRI

Lance Criminal
Minuteman
  • Mar 14, 2010
    Sturgis, S. Dakota
    www.longriflesinc.com
    Merry Xmas to me. . .

Sunnen MBB1660 hone.

Woo Hoo!

Just spent two hours scrubbing the funk off it. Looks brand new again!

DSC_0002-2.jpg

Re: new TOY!

Man I miss having access to one of those phuckers...

Years ago a friend had a button fron Sunnen that said "There ain't no hole my tool can't make"
    grin.gif

I don't know then. Comes up on my puter. Photobucket was being a fugger earlier. Took forever to load the pic.

Maybe that's why. I'll try again. This thing was as black as a tire when it came in.

Simple Green is man's greatest achievement!

DSC_0002-2.jpg

Dixon, are you open to visiting Hide members and fellow South Dakotans? I make it out to the hills a few times a year and could easily schedule in an extra couple of hours if you don't mind company. I sure would like to see you do what you do so well!

man wish I still lived in Hot Springs, or at least knew about the 'hide while I was living there =)

You guys don't know how lucky you are being in the US when it comes to buying that sort of machinery! The same hone here is well over $15K used.

I've got a much older one, they are one of those tools that once you have it, you wonder how you ever did without it. Good buying, it looks like it has hardly been used!

You should have seen the "before" photo.

This was after 4+ hours of scrubbing and a gallon of simple green.
    She was one filthy pig when we brought her in.

Just have to get the old machine out of here now so I have room for it.

I make quite a few little fixtures and what not around here for various things.

Dies in particular almost beg for a hone when making the neck bushings.

That and I do quite a bit of engine work. Vintage motorcycles are another facet to my business. 1905 and up. Everything from H/D, Excelsiors, Merkels, Indians, etc.

In fact today I'm machining 9 sets of cylinder cases for 1909 H/D atmospheric motors. (worth about $85k each mind you.)

A hone is just too handy a machine to have around.

IOE engines are neat, as are the old cycles they reside in.

Please post some pics of the cases you are making.

A dear friend of mine restores Vincents, I am always in awe of the wonderful "bits" that become them....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

In fact today I'm machining 9 sets of cylinder cases for 1909 H/D atmospheric motors. (worth about $85k each mind you.)
    </div></div>

WOW! why so much $? Hard to find?

There's maybe 20 of these in the world that still run.

Roughly half are in the shop right now.

We have the worlds first H/D bike in our showroom. It's a 1905. It's an often debated subject as the official production year is different. (I'm NOT a H/D bike guy so don't crucify me if I goof this up)

Basically H and D were broke and needed a sugar daddy. A guy down the street owned a music store/bicycle shop and lent them the $ to build the first run of bikes. The caveat was he got to buy the first run. There were 5-7 in the first run and the one in our showroom is the only one out of that batch known to exist.

We've a got a little tool box that has some of the piano tuning tools the guy used. His initials are on some of them. (Lang is the guy's last name)

The ol man I work with has been collecting this stuff since he was a teenager.

We just finished a 1909 police bike last fall. Engine was stuck when it came in and we were able to bust it loose and make it run. $490,000 is what that bike sold for.

Fun stuff.

This past summer we did a Coast to coast race called "The cannonball". Lonnie Isam Jr. sponsored it (the son of the guy I work with). Half the bikes that entered were built here in the shop.