• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New TRG-22 Build...updated with Range Report

operator74656

Private
Minuteman
May 26, 2010
NAS Oceana, VA
www.flickr.com
Just thought I would post some first impressions and some pics of my newly acquired rifle for anyone considering similar gear.

- Sako TRG-22 in .308 (20" barrel) in FDE
- KRG Folding Stock for TRG
- NightForce NXS 5.5-22x56
- NightForce 20MOA Unimount
- AAC Cyclone
- KRG Magazine Catch Extender
- Atlas Bipod with spikes
- Pelican 1700

I went with the TRG-22 because I was looking for something with out-of-box accuracy and a good reputation. My last rifle, a Sig SSG 3000 with 24" barrel was excellent (for sale now - PM if interested), although I tired of the 5-round magazines, minimally adjustable stock, longer barrel (especially with silencer attached), and difficulty transporting due to overall length (required Pelican 1750 case).

I had reservations about the TRG due to the sheer cost of their factory folder - I could not justify spending almost 3K for that folding stock alone. Then I happened upon the KRG folding stock which is 1/3 the price. All items were immediately available and this put me over the edge. The KRG folder is excellent after several days of evaluation - completely tight lock up in the folding mechanism and no play if I use the set screws for LOP. The ability to easily find comfortable settings cannot be understates - especially in new shooters like myself. My particular stock came with a very comfortable - if not quite rubbery/squishy - Kick-Eez butt pad. Installation is insanely simple - requiring only an allen wrench and 2 minutes. My only criticism of the stock is a slight misalignment in the molding lines. It does not line up perfectly with the factory forend. This issue was known and discussed in another thread (probably the only reason I noticed it at all). All in all, it is only a minor cosmetic issue and minimally detracts from an overall excellently executed product.

The Sakos come with a Pic rail installed but it is zero cant, so I went with a Nightforce Unimount which put my 5.5-22x56 about 1/4" over the barrel. Best of all, my AAC can was already threaded in 18x1M LH for the Sig and that is what the Sakos are threaded in.

I recently went to the range to break in the barrel but did not evaluate any further. I have some concerns over the ability of the TRG to adequately eject spent casings. With some training rounds, ejection was lackluster, essentially falling next to the rifle. On several occasions, the round caught and fell backwards back into the chamber. I did not have any issues with the 20 rounds I shot at the range.

One of the most appealing aspects to me is the overall length is now just over 30". This means no more huge cases - I can fit it in a Pelican 1700 when it isn't in the safe. As a matter of fact that is usually a hair shorter than many 16" ARs. I can only imagine how much better traveling will be - small trunks are no problem any more!

I am pleased so far with how this turned out. I may be Cerakoting the folder/forend in the future but that is not a priority. As always, these are just one shooter's opinions and observations. Be safe.

7006659705_e5d922ecc3_c.jpg

7006659975_8ce77f0edb_c.jpg

7006659901_43fde53cd9_c.jpg

7006659795_b9c9733149_c.jpg

7006659583_5d11d57997_c.jpg

Range report to follow....

Well I finally got out to the range and it was a beautiful day. I took the chronometer out there and recorded several of my shots. I used Federal 168 with the 20" barrel. My average MV (total of 11 shots) was 2532 fps.

Below are the groups I shot to zero the rifle. Then I took it to 375 yards for some steel action. I also did some fiddling with the KRG folding stock - which is very easy to adjust.

6875653320_c3e45c5f59_c.jpg
3 shots

7021755265_faf2ae0bae_c.jpg
3 shots

6875653830_d2176bcb23_c.jpg
10 shots @ 375yds with 1/4MOA adjustment

Re: New TRG-22 Build

Sweet rifle, like all TRGs.
How does the magazines' placement in the case work? Can you close the case without problem even with the magazines places upright?
Did you cut the foam in the lid as well? I am trying to solve the same issue.

Bugaboo: I have had tried several different methods with the foam on my various rifles. The magazines do extend up beyond the foam in the upright position. However it is not enough to cause problems closing. After time an indentation will form in the top foam. If you prefer to, you can cut into the top or bottom (be careful to line it up with the magazines), split the cut-out portion in half, and replace it with adhesive (essentially giving you another 1" of space for the mags to protrude into the top foam when you shut it).

Because I had the folder it sticks pretty far up. I did end up using the above procedure to cut the top foam. I am left with only half-thickness foam on the top but I think it is sufficient to protect the rifle.

Excellent, I guess I will leave it as it is. I checked and the magazine doesn't protrude much higher than the windage turret on my scope.

BTW: the ejection issue is actually no issue at all. If you open the bolt dynamically, it will eject flawlessly. If you go very slowly, the case might fall back in.

Thank you and: Great rifle!

That is absolutely fantastic. I'm going to be taking delivery of my folding TRG-22 at the end of the month and if Euro Optic didn't give me a killer deal on the 2nd gen folding stock, I would have gone the KSG route. The only other rig I considered was the AIAW but optioning out the stock with the quick adjust features to match the factory Sako or KSG with an accushot would end up running over $8k. Threads like these make me impatient! That is a great duo-tone, it works on this gun.

Great review! Just curious, how were you able to mount your TRG onto your Manfrotto head?

thanks

Black majik: I mounted it using a BT-28 adapter from accu shot (it slides nicely into the forearm rail) to give a reasonably priced section of pic rail. A larue adapter was used to attach the pic rail to the manfrotto head (they make it special for that).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Operator74656</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Black majik: I mounted it using a BT-28 adapter from accu shot (it slides nicely into the forearm rail) to give a reasonably priced section of pic rail. A larue adapter was used to attach the pic rail to the manfrotto head (they make it special for that). </div></div>

Slick mounting, thank you.

If you run out of ammo, you can always use the atlas as a weapon, lol. You did an awesome job of putting it together and the color combo look great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cesiumsponge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is absolutely fantastic. I'm going to be taking delivery of my folding TRG-22 at the end of the month and if Euro Optic didn't give me a killer deal on the 2nd gen folding stock, I would have gone the KSG route. The only other rig I considered was the AIAW but optioning out the stock with the quick adjust features to match the factory Sako or KSG with an accushot would end up running over $8k. Threads like these make me impatient! That is a great duo-tone, it works on this gun. </div></div>

I also looked at the AIAW (my dad has one and it is awesome) but there was no way I could drop that amount of cash! I look forward to hearing about the stock folder....

Great looking rig. If I had not gone with a DTA SRS, I would have gone the same route you did.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Operator74656</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cesiumsponge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is absolutely fantastic. I'm going to be taking delivery of my folding TRG-22 at the end of the month and if Euro Optic didn't give me a killer deal on the 2nd gen folding stock, I would have gone the KSG route. The only other rig I considered was the AIAW but optioning out the stock with the quick adjust features to match the factory Sako or KSG with an accushot would end up running over $8k. Threads like these make me impatient! That is a great duo-tone, it works on this gun. </div></div>

I also looked at the AIAW (my dad has one and it is awesome) but there was no way I could drop that amount of cash! I look forward to hearing about the stock folder.... </div></div>
I've heard concerns on the 1st gen folder's spike as potentially unstable and tipsy, and that the wide footprint of the pivoting monopod is more stable. I haven't had any experience with this type of monopod design and the only other place I've seen this design used is the AI's 50 caliber offering. Any reviews from owners and shooters for the pivoting monopod I've found have been positive reviews. At one point I looked at the AIAE but knew if I bought the AIAE, I'd always want the AIAW. Maybe I'll revisit the AIAX or DTA SRS down the road for a multi-caliber platform.

I think it looks fantastic the way it is so the cerakote isn't necessary with the FDE coloration. I'm going to be painting part of my folding stock with some Sako Green...the green Sakos with the black factory folders don't look as nice in that color scheme...maybe the combination of color and stock shape don't work out.

How is the lock-up with the KSG folded and unfolded? I remember reading some very early (or pre-production?) units had a little bit of play in it but the reviewer said it was going to be addressed. The KRG extended mag release is nice. I wonder if KRG will work on an extended safety paddle similar to the Sako TRG M10 PSR rifle that can be toggled without having a finger inside the trigger guard. I think that's about the only remaining thing that can make the Sako better in functionality.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cesiumsponge</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Operator74656</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cesiumsponge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is absolutely fantastic. I'm going to be taking delivery of my folding TRG-22 at the end of the month and if Euro Optic didn't give me a killer deal on the 2nd gen folding stock, I would have gone the KSG route. The only other rig I considered was the AIAW but optioning out the stock with the quick adjust features to match the factory Sako or KSG with an accushot would end up running over $8k. Threads like these make me impatient! That is a great duo-tone, it works on this gun. </div></div>

I also looked at the AIAW (my dad has one and it is awesome) but there was no way I could drop that amount of cash! I look forward to hearing about the stock folder.... </div></div>
I've heard concerns on the 1st gen folder's spike as potentially unstable and tipsy, and that the wide footprint of the pivoting monopod is more stable. I haven't had any experience with this type of monopod design and the only other place I've seen this design used is the AI's 50 caliber offering. Any reviews from owners and shooters for the pivoting monopod I've found have been positive reviews. At one point I looked at the AIAE but knew if I bought the AIAE, I'd always want the AIAW. Maybe I'll revisit the AIAX or DTA SRS down the road for a multi-caliber platform.

I think it looks fantastic the way it is so the cerakote isn't necessary with the FDE coloration. I'm going to be painting part of my folding stock with some Sako Green...the green Sakos with the black factory folders don't look as nice in that color scheme...maybe the combination of color and stock shape don't work out.

How is the lock-up with the KSG folded and unfolded? I remember reading some very early (or pre-production?) units had a little bit of play in it but the reviewer said it was going to be addressed. The KRG extended mag release is nice. I wonder if KRG will work on an extended safety paddle similar to the Sako TRG M10 PSR rifle that can be toggled without having a finger inside the trigger guard. I think that's about the only remaining thing that can make the Sako better in functionality. </div></div>

I'd leave it as is. With the Gen 2 factory folder, I think it looks perfect with the painted grip. But then again, I might be partial because I have one... for sale.

Very nice rig dude,
I just picked up a Tikka T3 tactical in 223 to have as a plinker and was looking to get a KRG chassis for it.

Sweet rifle, that KRG stock is calling my name, It's a good thing my "gun fund is on empty" LOL
In regards to the brass ejection, learn to "feel" the cycle of the bolt handle. If I have problems it's generally because I went too slow with the bolt cycle, don't fight it, just drop the mag, reset it and keep shooting.
If your TRG shoots as well as my two, you will leave the range with a smile from ear to ear.
Enjoy,
SScott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cesiumsponge</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> How is the lock-up with the KSG folded and unfolded? </div></div>

I have to say it is impressive. There is zero play. I am fanatical about stuff like that - any play drives me nuts even though it doesn't necessarily matter. I can honestly say there is NO play in any part of that stock.

The LOP is adjustable with two switches and they have some play unless you use the included set screws. Once you set it up the way you like I have no problem using those screws to make it nice and tight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Conqueror</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What tripod setup is that? </div></div>

Manfrotto 322rc2 with Manfrotto carbon fiber body and Larue Adapter

Yep no suprise there, it shoots like a TRG
grin.gif
. Congrats on a very nice rifle, enjoy it!

that's standard TRG accuracy right there.
congrats on making this one your own unique look, it is not bad at all.