• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors New TTF suppressor - how many rounds before it's "match ready"?

HodgdonExtreme

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2014
KHSV
I am going to a ~400 round training class this weekend, and I just picked up my new TTF Archangel yesterday afternoon.

I'll have the chance to check POI shift (and repeatability) and velocity tonight, and put probably 20 rounds through it.

I'll be able to go out Wednesday afternoon and put another 20 rounds.

Would it be reasonable for me to take my class this weekend WITH the suppressor, or should I wait until I've got more range/practice experience with it before trusting it?

Or, am I dumb for considering bringing the suppressor, being this is my first one and although I've shot suppressed rifles some in the past, I'm not "used" to it yet - so maybe my training would be compromised by using a "new" system?

Thoughts?

Well, the answer seemed to be "one".

POI shift of .1 downward. Took can off, put it back on, etc etc. Its repeatable. Was the same on my buddys rifle.

Velocity jumped ~15-20fps for both rifles.

Looks like its totally good to go.

I vote you use the can at your class. Personally, since getting mine I don't like to shoot without it. There are always Pro's and Con's for everyone's individual situation, but IMHO there are more Pro's.

The recoil impulse will be different as you've probably experience but that really shouldn't change anything. As long as your rifle is still accurate, I vote thread that puppy on!

If it causes a problem at your class, take it off and rezero. Should be very quick.

I've put a few rounds through suppressed rifles on several different occasions, including trying other guy's cans on my own rifles. Each time I came away thinking "Damn, that's a lot more recoil than with the brake".

Not this time. Hardly any more recoil at all than with my brake.

Very pleased I basically don't need to rezero my rifle, swapping between brake and suppressor.

No opinion on the sound signature of the can. I don't have enough experience with suppressors to judge, plus I still wear earpro.

I've been running the Archangel for a year and a half now. POI shift is minimal and repeatable. I get about a .1 shift down as well. It depends on how long the strings of fire are at your class. The Ti heats up pretty darn quick. I usually don't like to shoot mine more than 6-7 shots in a minute or two before I let it cool down. It cools down quick though, especially in the temps we have right now. You will see some mirage even after 6-7 successive shots even with a good cover, depending on if there is any air moving or not. Take it and run it, if the course lends to it getting real hot, swap it out. I find that the recoil impulse feels different from brake to can. Brake has a little less recoil but with more of a quick snap and the can is a more slow impulse. You will like the Archangel. It's accurate as fuck.

Disregard
I've been running the Archangel for a year and a half now. POI shift is minimal and repeatable. I get about a .1 shift down as well. It depends on how long the strings of fire are at your class. The Ti heats up pretty darn quick. I usually don't like to shoot mine more than 6-7 shots in a minute or two before I let it cool down. It cools down quick though, especially in the temps we have right now. You will see some mirage even after 6-7 successive shots even with a good cover, depending on if there is any air moving or not. Take it and run it, if the course lends to it getting real hot, swap it out. I find that the recoil impulse feels different from brake to can. Brake has a little less recoil but with more of a quick snap and the can is a more slow impulse. You will like the Archangel. It's accurate as fuck.

Last edited:
Quick follow up:

Suppressor was flawless and seems to be quieting down with use. Accuracy is tip top, and my zero remains rock solid after many on/offs over the course of the training class.

Was f'n great during the lowlight/night ops portion.

I've got one as well. Quiet, repeatable, and very lightweight. I noticed mine took about 25 rounds to stay together, it did have a bad habit of the rear cap unthreading but as carbon built up it seemed to stop doing that.
For the price I paid in the group buy I wish I had got several more!