• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Vortex Fury w/ AB?

I just ordered the standard Fury 5000. After reading this I’m kinda regretting not getting the AB. If these can pick up wind and other data, then it seems like a complete package.

I didn’t really look into the features, I’m also unfamiliar with AB. I use 4dof or Sterlok.
I upgraded from the regular furys and and don't regret it but if they can fix the issues in my post above I would be really happy with them.

Reactions: Zane1844
How does one make adjustments to ballistic calculations without changing profile? For example - from my reading/watching tutorials - it is fairly common to make adjustments to ballistic calculator based on observed results (e.g. shooting 3in low at 500 yards compared to what ballistic calculator gives you or measuring delta in actual bullet velocity). If one is using phone app - it is fairly clear what to do. What would be the process if using Fury AB? Make change in phone app and fury will pick up? Hopefully this can be "session only" without having to keep creating new profiles.

Appreciate feedback.

How does one make adjustments to ballistic calculations without changing profile? For example - from my reading/watching tutorials - it is fairly common to make adjustments to ballistic calculator based on observed results (e.g. shooting 3in low at 500 yards compared to what ballistic calculator gives you or measuring delta in actual bullet velocity). If one is using phone app - it is fairly clear what to do. What would be the process if using Fury AB? Make change in phone app and fury will pick up? Hopefully this can be "session only" without having to keep creating new profiles.

Appreciate feedback.
I have no idea how many inches low or high at any distance I would be.

I measure in my reticle the delta @600y and adjust the mv until the mils match the actual observed dope.

I do this once to calibrate, then never again unless mv changes then you should wonder why.

It your using moa your doing it wrong 🤪

There's no way to edit a profile from within the Fury itself, you'd need to edit the profile from within the app which is easy to do, then re-sync the Fury. It might be slightly faster if you were paired with a Kestrel because you could make a change in the Kestrel (MV for example) and immediately see the updated solution (on the Kestrel) without bothering with the Fury. If you're displaying the Kestrel solution in the Fury, the next range you take would solve based on the change to MV and display it in the Fury and on the Kestrel.

I've seen the same issue, wind holds in the Fury are wrong when paired with the Kestrel and "Kestrel solution displayed in Fury" is set to "off". I spent quite a bit of time on the phone with Vortex yesterday afternoon trying to figure it out. They gave me a few ideas to try and want me to call back next week. I suspect it may be a software/firmware glitch because when the Fury is paired with my Garmin, the Garmin is sending my entered winds and environmental data to the Fury which according to the manual (and Vortex) shouldn't be happening (although it would be cool if it worked right). Also the displayed wind holds are wrong unless I set the wind direction to 9:00 on the Garmin in which case the solutions on the two devices is about the same.

I'm sure they'll get this sorted out, but in the meantime using the Furys unpaired is probably going to be my main use for them anyway. I'm getting rid of my Kilo3000s. In case anyone cares, between the Sig and the Vortex they seem identical in optical quality and ranging ability. I suspect they are made in the same factory to each companies respective specs, but my eyes can't distinguish between the two, they are optically sufficient for what I use them for and the rangefinder/environmentals/AB elite combo is fantastic.
It should work with the Garmin just as it does with the Kestrel.

Is fury sw upgradeable (if there is new release in the future)?
Yes.

As far getting the binos to update atmospherics when moving environments is there anyway to speed that up or make it more true. I assume they dont want us spinning the binos around like we do a kestrel. lol

It should work with the Garmin just as it does with the Kestrel.

Yes.
From the Vortex Fury AB manual:

"When the Fury® HD 5000 AB is paired with a Garmin® Foretrex®, the Fury®HD 5000 AB will range the target and calculate the wind/bullet drop solution independently. The Fury® HD 5000 AB will also send the target range, inclination angle, and bearing data to the Garmin® Foretrex®. The Foretrex®will calculate its own independent wind/bullet drop solution that only displays in the Foretrex®. The Garmin® Foretrex® solution cannot be displayed in the Fury® HD 5000 AB binocular display or in the Fury HD app."

From my experience pairing the Fury with both the Garmin 701 and Tactix AB, you are more correct than the manual. The environmentals from the Garmin are definitely showing up in the Fury, or at least the ones I can verify by scrolling through the environmentals pages on the Fury (Wind speed and direction, temp and pressure. I can't see if the humidity from the Garmin is being transferred since I don't know how to display that without being connected to the app. Also the Fury will display the Garmin solution if the "Kestrel solution displayed in Fury" setting is on.

Also whether paired with the Kestrel or Garmin, the windage correction is being calculated as if the wind is coming from 9:00 even though the Fury is showing the correct DOF and wind bearing when you scroll through the environmentals pages. For example, if I range something at 1000 yds with a 9:00 10 mph wind and 360 DOF, the Fury and Kestrel solutions agree with a 2 mil left correction and the Fury shows a tgt of 0 degrees and oth of 270 degrees. If I set the wind to any other direction (3:00 for ex) the Garmin and Kestrel display the correct solution and the Fury still says 2 mil left with an incorrect elevation hold and tgt of 0 degrees and oth of 090 degrees. Tgt and oth are displays in the Fury for those who don't know...

I've tried changing profiles, settings, units, and calibration to see if any of those things made a difference but nothing has worked. If anybody can figure this out I'd appreciate it!

The constant 270* wind direction when connected to the kestrel would make sense to what I'm seeing as well using the fury solution. I hadn't figured out yet how it was giving me a up and left correction when it should have been low and right but that would make sense of it.

Wind speed 1 and 2 in kestrel must match in order for the fury solution and kestrel solution to match according to Vortex assuming everything else is correct. They said the fury uses ws2 for wind but you cannot turn aj or cor off and since the kestrel uses ws1 for that, that is why they need to be the same for those trying to make sure things line up.

If I leave each separate and manually sync kestrel info to fury and manually input fury data to kestrel I get the same thing most of the time. I think when it's not it's probably due to the rounding in the fury.

Leica doesn't run AB onboard and no weather sensors. They have their own solver or the .com versions can BT to a Kestrel 5700 (AB and 4DOF) to use that solver.
Didn't the 3500.com have all sorts of issues relating that resulted in massive returns?

Have all of those issues been resolved?

Repeal the 19th!!! That’ll make it happen!
🤣🤣🤣🤣

I’m rusty on the constitution. Is that the one the enacted the welfare state?

Cause we’d have men on Mars by now and ZCOs with AB/vectronix/OASYS tech if we weren’t giving so much money away to welfare and .gov parasites

Google it. The govt is tracking you anyways. 😉

Just messing with ya.
I know member who runs the fury 5000 without AB and is happy with them.
He shoots serious LR. 3000 yds plus.

A question to the AB Fury owners, is there a way via the app to set range, to be able to compare to known dope?

I can set the env and other parameters, but have not found a way to enter range.

A question to the AB Fury owners, is there a way via the app to set range, to be able to compare to known dope?

I can set the env and other parameters, but have not found a way to enter range.
No is the short answer. The only range input is from the Fury itself. I've played with this thing for hours trying to figure out why the Fury solution was wrong when paired with the Kestrel or Garmin. Vortex had me send it in and since I got it back it is working perfectly with both devices now. I've ranged targets from 200 yd to well over 2000 yd and the solutions between the Fury and Kestrel or Garmin are identical (provided the profiles are the same on both devices of course) so if you have any other devices with AB Elite on them, you could manually enter the ranges of your known dope for comparison and if it's the same, you can can be confident that the Fury solution will also be correct.

I'm very impressed with the Fury AB so far. I know some people wish these had better glass, but to my eyes and at this price point they are more than sufficient. The convenience of having everything contained within the binoculars with no need for a kestrel is awesome. Having the ability to pair with a kestrel is also great if you need updated temp for example and don't want to wait for the Fury's internal temp sensor to stabilize. Also it's nice to have two profiles calculated simultaneously. If the street price gets a little lower, like closer to the current Eurooptic mil/le pricing, they will be a huge hit. Also I often hear people scoff the Vortex warranty, but their customer service is really about as good as it gets and adds a tremendous amount of value to this type of product in my opinion. When I was having problems with these, I was able to call and speak with a real midwestern American human who actually knows the product. Amazing, particularly in these times.

Reactions: 96C and seansmd
What max range is everyone picking up on a bright and sunny mid-day? I've had these for several months now and it seems to be getting less and less. I understand these aren't $4k lasers. I used to be able to pick up 1200-1300 in harsh conditions, but at a match this weekend it was hard to get a reading on a 900 yd plate and berm, and a 690 yd plate with no berm I could get no reading on. I have replaced the battery with no affect. All readings were taken off a sturdy tripod.

What max range is everyone picking up on a bright and sunny mid-day? I've had these for several months now and it seems to be getting less and less. I understand these aren't $4k lasers. I used to be able to pick up 1200-1300 in harsh conditions, but at a match this weekend it was hard to get a reading on a 900 yd plate and berm, and a 690 yd plate with no berm I could get no reading on. I have replaced the battery with no affect. All readings were taken off a sturdy tripod.
I'm able to easily range cactus and shrubs off hand out to 1200-1500 yds in the mid afternoon sun in Phoenix. I just went out and was able to range off hand out to 2700 yds on some protruding rocks on a hill, but this is with the sun low on the horizon and some shadowing in the spot where I was ranging, but still pretty bright outside with no clouds in the sky. This performance is exactly the same as my Sig 3000BDX. You might need to send yours in to Vortex, a plate at 690 should be easy.