New Vortex Fury w/ AB?

DocUSMCRetired

Applied Ballistics
PX Member
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2014
Texas
www.appliedballisticsllc.com
I have a pair sitting on my desk here, so if you have any questions please feel free to direct them to me.

The Binos can use the firing solution directly off the Garmin Tactix Delta Solar with AB if a user wishes. It can also use the Firing Solution directly off a Kestrel. Or they can use the built in solution. With the setting set to "Kestrel Solution in Fury" it will also function the same way with the Garmin Tactix Delta.

I have a set of Fury 5000 and Fury 5000 AB for side by side comparison. A good amount of effort was put in the new Fury 5000 AB Binos to improve ergonomics. For instance they have improved buttons, and the button design allows for steadier handling when depressing the range button so you get less to no push off the target when activating the laser.

Reactions: RS14

StrayDog

At large
Supporter
PX Member
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2010
ME
Is there good fit room for the RRS strap tripod mount?
What style objective covers are included?
How about a through-glass view of the reticle? :cool: :coffee:

DocUSMCRetired

Applied Ballistics
PX Member
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2014
Texas
www.appliedballisticsllc.com
Is there good fit room for the RRS strap tripod mount?
What style objective covers are included?
How about a through-glass view of the reticle? :cool: :coffee:
1) Yes it will work with the RRS, however I use and really really like this one: https://vortexoptics.com/sport-binocular-adapter.html

2) It comes with front and rear covers. The Obj covers are independent rubber pop on/off covers. The same as you get with the other Vortex binos.

3) For the best reticle view, I would actually suggest watching the Vortex videos. They do a good job of showing it off.

Reactions: StrayDog

davethedog

Just a guy shooting stuff
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 17, 2020
Denver, CO
EuroOptic has the pre-order at $1,500, which is kind of an odd place for these binos unless they've received a substantial upgrade in "glass". It's not too hard to find the previous model of Leica Geovid HD-Bs for about $2k during certain times of year, not to mention demo/refurb units. The Sig 3000's could be had for about $800 around the holidays, and were ~$900(ish) normally when I was checking.

Is there some functionality that these Vortex units have that the Sigs don't? And/Or, did the Vortex get a substantial upgrade in coatings or something? The last couple Fury's that I looked at were pretty bad with the blue-ish tint in one barrel, but maybe these are better?

The AB solver is definitely better that the Leica solver. But to me, the vortex either needs to compete with the Sigs at the ~$850 price point, or they need to have made a big jump in the "glass" department to get closer to the Leica's to warrant a ~$1,500 price.
I think a lot of the price is the AB license. Think about what it costs to buy a single bullet profile in the AB app, now imagine paying for access to all of them. There's a few hundred bucks in bullet profiles you'll never use.