• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes New Vortex Razor 5-20x50 Ocular Design

jrob300

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2009
Montana
For those of you who have bitched, moaned, and whined about the ocular on the Razor and how sensitive it is on high magnifications. (Uh, what...me? Nooo...) Just came across this in Scott Berish's (Liberty Optics) 2011 Shot Show Blog:

<span style="font-weight: bold">Razor HD 5-20x50</span>

"The real news is the new ocular housing design. Slightly shorter, with a new illumination hookup, less fussy eye relief and noticeably less tunnel vision, this new eyebox is quite the improvement over the old style. Now here's the punchline: For all you guys who dove into the Razor but bemoan the high magnification sight picture and critical eye relief, Vortex will replace the ocular housing at no charge to you upon receipt of your old scope!! Please note the spare ocular housings are not in stock yet but are expected to be arriving in the spring. I think this is a great example of the extreme dedication of Vortex to their customers and the true commitment of the service they provide. I am impressed."

Good on ya' Vortex.

John

Re: New Vortex Razor 5-20x50 Ocular Design

I'm sending mine in for the EBR-2B reticle and the ocular swap. Pretty impressive stuff from Vortex!

That is GREAT customer service, but what is really IMPRESSIVE is that girl in the first post, WOW I catch myself watching it over and over and over and over LOL

I know... I'm going to have to turn off sigs.
wink.gif

John

Good deal...now I may just have to get one!!!

I've been considering the Razor and this news pretty much makes the decision for me. What else can you ask for? The company makes a great product, backs it up without question, and they listen to their customers and make requested improvements. Not to stop there, they even appear to go a step further and upgrade you to the new features on their dime. Wow!

Wow, i think the IOR 3.5-18x50 I was looking at buying just took a backseat...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rick S.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One question, for SWFA list price of $1995, why get the Razor, when you can get a NF NXS 5.5-22x56 for the same price?

Rick </div></div>

A huge reason is the NF is second focal plane.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rick S.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One question, for SWFA list price of $1995, why get the Razor, when you can get a NF NXS 5.5-22x56 for the same price?

Rick </div></div>

Why get the NXS for the same price is the question I ask you?

Razor is FFP, superior reticle (in most peoples opinion), rubberized zoom ring, tons of elevation.

#1 reason- Best warranty in the business

Besides being a top quality scope, and providing superb customer service I think the fact that top military and police units are using NF speaks for itself. Also NF has a longer history than Vortex. Do not take that to mean that Vortex is a lesser scope. Everybody has to start somewhere and Vortex is rapidly building a great reputation. I like what I read about them, but if past history is any indication, you cant go wrong with a NF. Also, NF will upgrade an older scope to newer technology for a reasonable fee. I am planning on getting another NF NXS 5.5-22x56 scope this week or next. When NF realeases the new FFP 5.5-22x56 NXS I will see if they can retrofit FFP into my current scopes, if not I just might have to buy another NF.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rick S.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Besides being a top quality scope, and providing superb customer service I think the fact that top military and police units are using NF speaks for itself. Also NF has a longer history than Vortex. Do not take that to mean that Vortex is a lesser scope. Everybody has to start somewhere and Vortex is rapidly building a great reputation. I like what I read about them, but if past history is any indication, you cant go wrong with a NF. Also, NF will upgrade an older scope to newer technology for a reasonable fee. I am planning on getting another NF NXS 5.5-22x56 scope this week or next. When NF realeases the new FFP 5.5-22x56 NXS I will see if they can retrofit FFP into my current scopes, if not I just might have to buy another NF. </div></div>

I HIGHLY doubt NF will be able to retrofit a existing scope to FFP.....it just doesn't work that way.

There are NF vs. Razor threads. This is not one. If you want to discuss the virtues of owning a NF scope, that's fine. It's just considered bad form to do it in a Razor thread.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rick S.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Besides being a top quality scope, and providing superb customer service I think the fact that top military and police units are using NF speaks for itself. Also NF has a longer history than Vortex. Do not take that to mean that Vortex is a lesser scope. Everybody has to start somewhere and Vortex is rapidly building a great reputation. I like what I read about them, but if past history is any indication, you cant go wrong with a NF. Also, NF will upgrade an older scope to newer technology for a reasonable fee. I am planning on getting another NF NXS 5.5-22x56 scope this week or next. When NF realeases the new FFP 5.5-22x56 NXS I will see if they can retrofit FFP into my current scopes, if not I just might have to buy another NF. </div></div>

I like Nightforce so don’t get me wrong (owned two F-1s).

Couple of points.

You cannot make a SFP into a FFP.

I think will find that there are several “similarities” with the Nightforce and the Vortex sub assemblies.

Unless you are hearing something, I am not aware of a FFP Nightforce with more power than 15 for the foreseeable future. All this being said the only constant is change. What is happening in the super secret labs only time and patience will show.

I will definitely be sending mine in. I don't really have any gripes about the way it is now but if the new design is an improvement then I'm for it! What's the difference in the EBR-2 and the EBR-2B reticle? May have that swapped while its there!

Im in the process on upgrading my viper to the razor only because I want an MOA/MOA scope in FFP now. Vortex has really impressed me

Vortex is updating scopes for free not a small fee.Your still not getting the sfp vs ffp thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSP446</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will definitely be sending mine in. I don't really have any gripes about the way it is now but if the new design is an improvement then I'm for it! What's the difference in the EBR-2 and the EBR-2B reticle? May have that swapped while its there! </div></div>

The B stands for bold,

For some folks, mattering on their eyes they had a hard time seeing the subtension lines and references for hold offs on the standard EBR-2 while others preferred the finer marks.

The EBR-2B carries heavier windage dots on the subtension lines as well as moving the subtension reference numbers next to the crosshairs, resulting in a faster response to holdoffs and windage in low light conditions or for the folks with poorer eye sight.

Both options carry a strong calling so here again Vortex listened and passed on a product that should cover the demand in quality and usability that is required in the field.

oneshot.onehit

I was surprised in the CStactical video talking to Scott that he didnt mention anything about a redesigned illumination setup at all.

Fantastic News , wonder what the turn around will be time wise once this upgrade becomes available ?
good on ya Vortex

good on ya vortex, that is very very cool. not alot of companies i see doin something like that for free.

That's good news. Keep us posted.

The ocular design was my biggest complaint. I have 4 of them and love them. I guess I'll let them upgrade mine and graciously thank them. They have been by far one of my favorite optic manufacturers.

I guess that would explain 4 Razor HD's, 3 PST's, and a Sparc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JPipes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm sending mine in for the EBR-2B reticle and the ocular swap. Pretty impressive stuff from Vortex! </div></div>

Can Vortex Actually swap reticules? How much is that? I just have the EBR-2 but the new occular housing sounds like a dream come true

jrob,

any word on when we can actually send our razors in for the upgrade?? I know scott mentioned something about the spare occulars being ready in the spring?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frogman77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">jrob,

any word on when we can actually send our razors in for the upgrade?? I know scott mentioned something about the spare occulars being ready in the spring?

</div></div>

I have no idea... I'm not affiliated with Vortex in any way (well... I do own a Razor). I just quoted what I found in Scott @ Liberty's blog. Perhaps Scott or Sam will chime in now that SHOT madness is winding down.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SuppressorJunkie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JPipes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm sending mine in for the EBR-2B reticle and the ocular swap. Pretty impressive stuff from Vortex! </div></div>

Can Vortex Actually swap reticules? How much is that? I just have the EBR-2 but the new occular housing sounds like a dream come true </div></div>

Yes, we can swap reticles. The charge for doing this is $150.

Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frogman77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">jrob,

</div></div>

It shouldn't be too long. All of the scopes that have the EBR-2B reticle are already done with the new eye piece.

We will keep you guys updated and let you know when we are ready for people to start sending their scopes in.

Scott

This is great news!! I think I will be sending in both of my razors for the eye piece when they are ready.

Thanks for the great CS!

I spoke with my Vortex contacts at the SHOT Show and the word is not to go rushing to send in your older Razor just yet. They have a limited number of eyepieces and if too many send them in at once you may be waiting for yours to get done.

Obviously if you don't actually need your scope right now, it's not a worry. It will probably be awhile before I send mine in, because honestly it just isn't that big of a deal to me.

John- I was so impressed by the new Razor HD's I committed to buy 2 of them while I was out at SHOT last week. When I get them in and have some T&E time on the range with them I'll be taking pictures and posting the stuff here.

Needless to say, my credit card hurts right now...

Here is some info on the HD and more.
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/E8W5VPrSIWc"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/E8W5VPrSIWc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

If you would like to see more info on other great stuff at SHOT SHOW here is a link to our site. CS Tactical BLOG on the 2011 SHOT SHOW.

Mike @ CST

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">John- I was so impressed by the new Razor HD's I committed to buy 2 of them while I was out at SHOT last week. When I get them in and have some T&E time on the range with them I'll be taking pictures and posting the stuff here.

Needless to say, my credit card hurts right now... </div></div>

They are extremely nice scopes. The features and the company's attitude are excellent. Not a whole lot of companies actually listen when customers offer input. Vortex does.

When are the EBR-2B's with the new ocular expected to be available? It sounds like a batch is done from one of the messages earlier in this thread.

I agree that Vortex's CS is top notch, you can't ask for anything more. I've talked to the guys many times and they are always willing to help in any way they can. For all you guys that already have a Razor, have you posted a review anywhere? If so could you reply with a link. I'd much rather hear reviews from you guys in the field than some suit from a magazine. Thanks so much.

Keep up the good work Vortex, you're earning lifelong customers!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott300RUM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For all you guys that already have a Razor, have you posted a review anywhere? If so could you reply with a link. </div></div>

http://www.8541tactical.com/Razor_HD_review.php

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1370449

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1585769&page=1

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1386546&an=

*and* a better search engine link for this site!

http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=010955838166721108978%3Aqcbx5qqy10o&hl=en

Have fun!

John

I spoke with Vortex CS today about scheduling my Razor to go in for the upgraded ocular. Got it scheduled for next thursday, she said as long as the scope was in their hands by thursday next week I would have it back by the beginning of the following week.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When are the EBR-2B's with the new ocular expected to be available? It sounds like a batch is done from one of the messages earlier in this thread. </div></div>

I have them in stock. Please call if you have any questions.

Thanks
Marshall
713-436-5121

This is incredible news and yet another nod toward me getting the Vortex Razor for my LR rifle. If I'm as pleased as everyone else, I will only hope they plan on adding a mid range powered Razor for my other rifle.