• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Weathery 6.5 round and rifles

Someone messaged me about this today. The factory offerings seem really slow for the case size. 140gr at 3000, and 120 at 3200 iirc.

Last edited:
Someone messaged me about this today. The factory offerings seem really slow for the case size. 140gr at 3000, and 120 at 3200 iirc.

Diminishing returns and liability.

I find it quite crazy how much extra powder some guys are willing to burn to get that extra 100 fps sometimes.

And they need to make sure bubba doesn't blow up his new Magnum. So keep the pressure very safe and market it as faster. It only needs to be barely faster for the marketing guys to convince the bubba's to buy it.

I'm looking at getting a new hunting rifle. I was thinking of going with 280 AI but might go with the 6.5 Weatherby RPM just for the hell of it. The energy looks to be the same at 500 yards between the two cartridges. Weatherby just moved to my hometown in Wyoming and I've been wanting to get a Weatherby and if im going to get a weatherby i think it should be in a weatherby cartridge. The only issue is the ammo selection as always with Weatherby thats my only concern really.

Reactions: Wags
Diminishing returns and liability.

I find it quite crazy how much extra powder some guys are willing to burn to get that extra 100 fps sometimes.

And they need to make sure bubba doesn't blow up his new Magnum. So keep the pressure very safe and market it as faster. It only needs to be barely faster for the marketing guys to convince the bubba's to buy it.

They’re not afraid to turn it up with all their other cartridges, and Weatherby has always been about speed. Seems out of character for them.

I’d do a straight 6.5-284 with Lapua brass before this any day of the week.

They’re not afraid to turn it up with all their other cartridges, and Weatherby has always been about speed. Seems out of character for them.

I have no use for a 6.5 but I'll agree. It does sound out of character for them. All of the Weatherby cartridges were about velocity and making that round better. They've been into "improving" since way back.

That said I've always had an affliction for a 257 weatherby. I'd love to whack antelope with it....