• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Wilcox Raptar Owner: Mounting and Trueing

PORTSIDE_GUNNER

Private
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2018
Hi,
Just got a RAPTAR S for a demo gun we're building for our shop. How do you get the RAPTAR to mount lower on the Spuhr mount? I've seen some people with in mounted totally flush in the center channel. Do you pull off that rail mount? If so how does it attached? Does it remove from the flathead screw on the top?

The most info anywhere on there is here on SH. Thanks!

IMG_7046-1.JPG

IMG_7037-1.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: joemusso
No experience with that specific Spuhr mount, but it looks like you have the RAPTAR in a mount, that is then attaching to the pic rail of the Spuhr?

The RAPTAR usually comes with a much more low profile mounting plate that what you are using. You screw the RAPTAR onto the plate via the STANAG screw and then attach the plate to the pic rail.

Another option is if the Spuhr mount is able to have the STANAG screw threaded through it and up into the RAPTAR directly.

Got it. I don't think the Spuhr mount is threaded. I'l have to investigate more.

An other note: Have to you "True" the RAPTAR like you would in a ballistic app? I'm assuming you adjust the muzzle velocity, but its there a way to add target hit as up to 5 distances?

Found the CalMV menu. The number drop numbers still dont match my ballistic app but they are getting closer. Any suggestions appreciated!

There is a flathead screw on top of the Raptar- unscrew that and the pic mount will come off. The Spuhr Raptar mounts are threaded and that flathead screw on top will thread directly into the raptar Spuhr pic mount

Got it. I don't think the Spuhr mount is threaded. I'l have to investigate more.

An other note: Have to you "True" the RAPTAR like you would in a ballistic app? I'm assuming you adjust the muzzle velocity, but its there a way to add target hit as up to 5 distances?

OK so with the NEW Raptar-S they have glued the mount to the Raptar, It comes off but you have to be crazy careful. Like they said, unscrew the top screw, to do this you will have to heat it. Grab your micro torch, and heat the bottom of the pic mount on the raptar in the center. hold the flame right in the center. I go by smell as soon as the locktight releases you will small it. If you want to be safe just heat for 5 or 10 seconds then try to unscrew. once it releases it will come out easily. Once that is loose use a large flat screwdriver and work the mount laterally, you will put the screwdriver between the housing and the mount. pry the mount slightly on both sides, it will come loose. But be very careful as you can crack the housing. It is fairly easy, but have to caveat that since its a high dollar piece.

As far as calibrating yes just adjust the MV, or just transfer the data from your kestrel if it is already calibrated. You don't need to set up distances as when you range it will auto populate your solution. Easy peasy. If you pair it to kestrel and "lock" the pairing, you can set the kestrel on a weathervane, raptar will send range, incline and DOF to kestrel kestrel with find a solution and send it back to raptar.

Found the CalMV menu. The number drop numbers still dont match my ballistic app but they are getting closer. Any suggestions appreciated!
Remember, the raptar is evaluating DOF, temp, pressure, incline he whole 9 yards so if those aren't exactly the same inputs as your app it won't match. Raptar also does AJ, SD and all those other neat features, so that can make things much different.

Hey all!
Yes Wilcox told me the NEW units are glued or mounted on. As ifly4vamerica said you can remove with care. I'll try that soon.

As far as the truing I think I got it pretty dialed after my first outing with it. Shot 45 plus degrees high angle shooting and out to 1000 yards and it been on 90% of the time. I need to experiment with sinking with a Kestrel Live for wind. I've never had much luck with the Kestrels so I need to play with it more. Anyone have any tips for that?

That said we had a range card Saturday with 10 targets from 100-750 yards and I bet you could clean that range with the RAPTAR before someone with an App would have event made their dope card. It's fast.

Am I the only one confused by Wilcox gluing a pic mount to a Raptar...something obviously designed to mount low?

Adding the mount, sure... give me options. But needing to torch and pry it off.... now I'm questioning Wilcox's logic.

What am I missing here?

Last edited:
LOL, it take a whole 60 seconds...not that big 9f a deal really. Chances are the military wanted it that way. So they go the way of the money for their production. Let's be honest how many civilians have bought a Raptar-S?

Duh... I should've thought of that. If mil wanted them pink, they'd be pink... and remain priced for Uncle Sam's pockets.

Appreciate you taking the time to explain the process to remove the mount without damaging.

I was told by Wilcox the new mount helps with readability of the zero. Most "issues" they were called about was because of the old way of mounting. Spuhr also makes a new super low profile mount to compensate for this. too.

Reactions: deersniper
Hello everyone...... I have a little bit of an issue with the ballistics screen when I have selected ballistics my range will only read in meters. I contacted Wilcox they tested my unit and sent it back to me saying it works but the problem is when I go to the screen to select yards as a preference and then I click it back to the ballistics window and Range it’s still spits me back numbers in meters.... has anybody had this problem?