• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Winchester 308 brass

avidflyer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2011
St Louis
What's everyone doing to prep there new Winchester brass? I've measured about a dozen new cases and found most to be 2.02 to 2.05. I've heard some people are running them through a full-length die to re round the case mouth. Anyone doing anything to the flash hole / primer pocket? I plan on using a collet die after they are fire formed. Are you prepping the case mouth on new brass? Inside / outside any help or input would be greatly appreciated, if you are running the brass through a full-length size are you just kissing it with the expander ball or full length sizing. What about case lube? Are you using case lube if just running the ball through mouth?

Re: New Winchester 308 brass

I dont use case lube on new brass,just let ball round off case mouths.I do ream inside of flash holes,and use a vld reamer for inside of case mouth,and bevel outside too.I do this to all my brass regardless but thats just me.

avidflyer,

just loaded 250 new win .308 cases. For me all I do is use a mandrel die to smooth out the case necks, chamfer the mouth and get them fire formed.

After they are fire formed, then I do the full prep (primer pocket uniforming, flash hole debur, trim/chamfer/debur the necks.

I size using a Forster bushing bump die to set shoulder back .002" and strive for .002" neck tension.

This is for my ginormous factory remington chamber.

You can do the full kit and kaboodle IF you want but its not needed.

If your going the BR route then yeh do it all.

full length size, debur flash hole, uniform primer pockets and chamfer neck with VLD chamfering tool

I roundify my new brass (or any dented brass) with an old Craftsman punch. It happens to have a round shape and a slowly increasing diameter that is sized for 20-40 caliber necks.

After roundification, the brass gets put through my neck die with a 0.332 bushing (Win brass).

But I also: Uniform the primer pocket, deburr the flash hole, chamfer and debur the mouth, and let it spend some tme in the tumbler.