• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New year new caliber.......

For me the reason I switched to monos was wind. Drop doesn’t matter to me.
Wind is always the biggest hurdle for elr and first round impacts
With out wind we could be using Elmer Keith style bullets and it wouldn’t matter.
For me my love of elr started with a rock hunting game that we do for hunting practice. Pick a rock, get a range, figure the wind and try to hit it first shot. As the game progressed the rocks farther and farther away started calling to us.
We still play that game with hunting bullets but I’ve switched to monos for those as well. One by one my friends are too.

Example. My 205gr sbd2’s at 2925 have same wind as my 210gr vld if it’s going 3400fps at 1 mile.
And the terminal performance of that bullet has been great as well

Wind in these mountains can be from many different angles in one shot and when shooting from one mountain to the next you have very few indicators to judge wind

At my personal cut off for hunting range that’s the difference between a hit in the vitals or gut shot and no recovery.
Jme

Ps the same two bullets and speeds listed are with in a 1/2” at 1000 yards
With the speed I actually shoot the vlds its 3” difference at 1000 with same conditions 5mph full value
Stronger the wind the further that difference is spread out

Last edited:
For me the reason I switched to monos was wind. Drop doesn’t matter to me.
Wind is always the biggest hurdle for elr and first round impacts
With out wind we could be using Elmer Keith style bullets and it wouldn’t matter.
For me my love of elr started with a rock hunting game that we do for hunting practice. Pick a rock, get a range, figure the wind and try to hit it first shot. As the game progressed the rocks farther and farther away started calling to us.
We still play that game with hunting bullets but I’ve switched to monos for those as well. One by one my friends are too.

Example. My 205gr sbd2’s at 2925 have same wind as my 210gr vld if it’s going 3400fps at 1 mile.
And the terminal performance of that bullet has been great as well

Wind in these mountains can be from many different angles in one shot and when shooting from one mountain to the next you have very few indicators to judge wind

At my personal cut off for hunting range that’s the difference between a hit in the vitals or gut shot and no recovery.
Jme

Ps the same two bullets and speeds listed are with in a 1/2” at 1000 yards
With the speed I actually shoot the vlds its 3” difference at 1000 with same conditions 5mph full value
Stronger the wind the further that difference is spread out
Yea
My wind hold is substantially less than my friends running cup/core

Reactions: jasent
You’d need to drive Berger 300gn OTM’s about 3050-3100fps to match the 1800 yard performance of my 265 badlands and the OTM still only gets to 2300 yards supersonic with a lots more pressure or powder and recoil.

I’m supersonic past 2600 yards on most normal shooting days here and almost out to 2800 yards with the 285’s going a bit slower.

It would be interesting on how life is with the new bartlein material.
I asked a Smith about the new bartlein barrel said they claim double the life and he just laughed at me

Do you decide what vehicle you buy by how long the tires will last?

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Steel head
Barrels are a consumable just like tires.
If your concerned about either don’t choose a hot rod
AS a street racer back in the day,we had a quote that we used to say....Speed cost money,how fast do you want to go son

Last edited:
I just don't think it's a good analogy.

Something more appropriate would be to ask if you want to buy a car that goes 10mph faster on the top end but requires engine overhauls 30-50% more often. It's not just price-per round consumables (barrel life, powder...) , there's down time, load development, etc... You don't burn 15-25 extra grains of powder at no cost.

To each their own, I tend to favor mild stuff that lasts longer. This is referencing 300 RUM.

As far as .30 Nosler goes, I guess there's not a ton of difference between that and a PRC, but I certainly wouldn't use a SAAMI nosler reamer, better look for a "match" variant with decent throat geometry for what you're trying to do. YMMV.

I just don't think it's a good analogy.

Something more appropriate would be to ask if you want to buy a car that goes 10mph faster on the top end but requires engine overhauls 30-50% more often. It's not just price-per round consumables (barrel life, powder...) , there's down time, load development, etc... You don't burn 15-25 extra grains of powder at no cost.

To each their own, I tend to favor mild stuff that lasts longer. This is referencing 300 RUM.

As far as .30 Nosler goes, I guess there's not a ton of difference between that and a PRC, but I certainly wouldn't use a SAAMI nosler reamer, better look for a "match" variant with decent throat geometry for what you're trying to do. YMMV.
I would have the 30 nosler throated to the bullet I pick

Reactions: Ledzep
Really comes down to the individuals wants and expectation. Some are happy with moa. Some toss a barrel when it opens to 1/2 Moa.

I was doing a little reading in the 300 rum there is mixed results with speed it seems. 245 berger some only get 2750ish to 2850 and others 3000 plus. Adg brass was to thick in neck and causing pressure I hate that I sure don't want to neck turn

I'm using ADG in my 300 RUM with no issue. I have a new barrel throated for 250's in 9 twist, but don't know speeds yet. My old barrel, running 220 lrht's @ 3.94 COAL is still bugholes with 93 grains 8133 at 3170fps.

On paper, I like the idea of an 8 twist for PVA 212's, SBD 205's, Atips and Bergers... But in practice, I chose to pick 1 projectile and went with the ATIPs for similar wind and better energy.

I'm using ADG in my 300 RUM with no issue. I have a new barrel throated for 250's in 9 twist, but don't know speeds yet. My old barrel, running 220 lrht's @ 3.94 COAL is still bugholes with 93 grains 8133 at 3170fps.

On paper, I like the idea of an 8 twist for PVA 212's, SBD 205's, Atips and Bergers... But in practice, I chose to pick 1 projectile and went with the ATIPs for similar wind and better energy.
Interested in your findings. Is it just a saami spec reamer? 220 moving pretty good

Interested in your findings. Is it just a saami spec reamer? 220 moving pretty good

Krieger 10 twist 28" a little extra throat for 215's. The 215/220 is a great projectile. I know we focus on squeezing the last bit of paper gains, and I certainly do the same, but I'd have no issue using that projectile out to the most unethical hunting distances. Combo is solid with that velocity.

Looking for a new cal to play with. We'll I guess cartridge to play with.
Shooting is mostly 100 yards to 1760 80% of time and out to 2000 yards on occasion. Prolly do more out to 2000 yard shooting now. I have plans to visit rebel ridge 1 or 2 times a year to shoot to 2600 yards.
My powder I've stocked up on is imr 8133 and it would have to use that because shortages ect. No bigger than 30 cal and .535 bolt face. My suppressor is only 30 cal and bolt is that and for my nucleus don't go any bigger. I currently do a lot of shooting with 7mm-300 win mag which is great. But I do want to get away from the belt for honestly no reason in just getting away from it for this barrel.

My thoughts are kind of -
30 nosler
300 rum
7mm-300 wsm-7mm-270 wsm
7lrm
28 sherman
7mm mega ( last 2 are questionable)
I want to be able to buy brass so 300 prc is out.
I'm not afraid of wildcats. Mag fed would be nice but not a must have.

30 cal I'd shoot 230 a-tips or 250 a-tips
7mm 183 smk 197 smk 190 berger

What would you guys want to try or run?
You want a new to you caliber that will give you a real test of skills ???
Try a 3006 . Old school to see what you are made of .

Reactions: wildcats and The D
You want a new to you caliber that will give you a real test of skills ???
Try a 3006 . Old school to see what you are made of .
Haha not made of much. I've had a 280 ackley improve which was a hammer 6.5x55 ect

Looking for a new cal to play with. We'll I guess cartridge to play with.
Shooting is mostly 100 yards to 1760 80% of time and out to 2000 yards on occasion. Prolly do more out to 2000 yard shooting now. I have plans to visit rebel ridge 1 or 2 times a year to shoot to 2600 yards.
My powder I've stocked up on is imr 8133 and it would have to use that because shortages ect. No bigger than 30 cal and .535 bolt face. My suppressor is only 30 cal and bolt is that and for my nucleus don't go any bigger. I currently do a lot of shooting with 7mm-300 win mag which is great. But I do want to get away from the belt for honestly no reason in just getting away from it for this barrel.

My thoughts are kind of -
30 nosler
300 rum
7mm-300 wsm-7mm-270 wsm
7lrm
28 sherman
7mm mega ( last 2 are questionable)
I want to be able to buy brass so 300 prc is out.
I'm not afraid of wildcats. Mag fed would be nice but not a must have.

30 cal I'd shoot 230 a-tips or 250 a-tips
7mm 183 smk 197 smk 190 berger

What would you guys want to try or run?
30 Sherman Mag with Berger 245's @ 2950-3k out of a 26 tube should do it. Rich has brass. This is what I will be building next.

30 Sherman Mag with Berger 245's @ 2950-3k out of a 26 tube should do it. Rich has brass. This is what I will be building next.
It's hard to say on the numbers some do and some don't. 30 nosler is 1 to 2 more capacity so should be about the same

Reactions: Steel head
Yeah, forget FPS claims and look at capacity and case length. Capacity as a proxy for potential energy, and case length (or lack thereof) for efficiency and barrel length. I like 300 Norma Improved more than my RUM, but RUM was easier (faster) and cheaper to get going when I was looking.

I see Sherman advertising 225’s at 3K from a 26”
Getting 245’s to 3k in the same barrel length seems a bit suspicious
There's a guy I know who has one 225 eldm 3050 rl26 but used rl33 bumped it up over 3100 plus. That is a 28 inch barrel not a 26 inch barrel.

Last edited:
I can believe the 225 numbers
It’s the 245 claims I find suspicious
Yeah I should of said that better and that was a 28inch barrel. I don't believe the claims they don't make sense unless you run a hot load of n570. The 7 max I had imr7977 183 smk only was 2870ish 28inch barrel no pressure any higher to much pressure.

You can do it, just not at less than 65,000 psi. Your face, your problem.

My 37" (THIRTY seven inch) 300 PRC is pushing 250 A-tips at 2890, 2930ish if I stand on a max book load (retumbo or RL26). I played with RL 26, RL33, and even pressure tested duplex loads mixing them and I really doubt the Sherman is pulling another 200fps out of it with 9-11" less barrel without some pretty spooky pressure.

I tried asking about barrel life and pressure on the Sherman FB page before. The fanboys that replied weren’t helpful and seemed more intent on protecting their holy grail cartridges from discrimination than answering a genuine question. Now I’m super skeptical of anything they post.

I tried asking about barrel life and pressure on the Sherman FB page before. The fanboys that replied weren’t helpful and seemed more intent on protecting their holy grail cartridges from discrimination than answering a genuine question. Now I’m super skeptical of anything they post.
And rightly so!

Mr sherman is nice nothing against him by any means but I think he might get those numbers but brass lofe pressure ect. Idk there's a lot of people that never came close and other that do so idk

Reactions: wildcats

Yeah I got reamed the same way, not on cockbook but on LRH.

I have a 6.5 Max and love it, but it is what it is - overbore and 70 grains of capacity. N570 is a filthy powder, and worse in overbore cartridges. I can go ~200fps faster, or I can run 8133 or H1000 and still be supersonic over 2K. Don't know why people become so personally invested in their choices, especially for arguably luxury purchases like long-bartleined-wildcats.

Yeah I got reamed
I've had good luck with my 300prc. Pushing 250 a tips nearly 3000fps. 31" tube, N570. Holding less than 1/2 moa out to 1100yds. Not had a chance to get longer range.

the same way, not on cockbook but on LRH.

I have a 6.5 Max and love it, but it is what it is - overbore and 70 grains of capacity. N570 is a filthy powder, and worse in overbore cartridges. I can go ~200fps faster, or I can run 8133 or H1000 and still be supersonic over 2K. Don't know why people become so personally invested in their choices, especially for arguably luxury purchases like long-bartleined-wildcats.

Attachments

• 20210224_201243.jpg
    20210224_201243.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 61
  • 20210211_120918.jpg
    20210211_120918.jpg
    494.6 KB · Views: 49
^Definitely - I'll probably test N570 to see the RUM 250 velocity, but expect I'll back off to 8133 n170 retumbo 24n41 etc. Hopefully still eke out 3K, but with 15-20 more grains than above.

That's impressive
I couldn't find more 250 A-TIPS so I decided on 230 Bergers. Holding accurate and took them up over 3100fps. Backed off and run them @ just over 3000fps. Holding .25 ish moa if I keep my shit under control

Attachments

• 20210404_090722.jpg
    20210404_090722.jpg
    458.4 KB · Views: 53
  • 20210303_171743.jpg
    20210303_171743.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 20210303_171810.jpg
    20210303_171810.jpg
    306.7 KB · Views: 55
Just looking things up 300 rum looks like 700 to 800 barrel life 30 nosler 1000 to 1200 so not to terrible.

I couldn't find more 250 A-TIPS so I decided on 230 Bergers. Holding accurate and took them up over 3100fps. Backed off and run them @ just over 3000fps. Holding .25 ish moa if I keep my shit under control
Man getting great speeds with that 300 prc.

So I finally decided to go with a 30 nosler. It will be a mcgowen barrel nut prefit 30 inch barrel #8 like a bull 1-8 twist. I will have them throated how I want for the 250 a-tips. I'm hoping for a easy 2850 to 2900 speed wise. I will be mag feeding just in case I need it have plans for the nightforce steel challenge next year. I will see how it does compared to my 7mm-300 win mag.