• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Newb on a budget

atctimmy

Private
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2014
NSA Headquarters
Hi all. I'm new to long distance shooting and have been using a standard sporter weight hunting rifle to get started.

I'm ready to up my game but I'm on a pretty tight budget.

I'm a lefty so my choices are limited a bit off the shelf (a custom rifle isn't financially possible right now). I'm interested in a Savage model 10 and I would like some input on what is best.

Right now I can find a left handed model 10 predator hunter in 6.5X284 and 6.5 Creedmoor. I'd be interested in a .308 as well since I already hand load for that caliber but I'm not sure they even exist in the model 10.

Can someone compare the pluses and minuses for me please?

I'd take the Creedmore. Quality loaded ammo, easily reloaded, good barrel life, low recoil, superior ballistics
There are plenty of heavy barreled 308 Savages out there. Depending on your exact budget you may be able to find a great used gun that has been worked over a bit
I'm still an ol' 308 die hard fan

I'm in the same boat. I like the Savages 10's and researched a ton. I searched a lot on net sales but mainly concentrated on Armslist and GunBroker...Just finishing up a deal on a great Savage with bi-pod and scope. Should have it within a week or two at most. Plans will be to place it in an XLR Chassis. Keep searching and you will find the one. Lots of features on the different 10's out there.

Savages are a good way to go on a budget as you can upgrade easy over time w/o the need to keep sending out for gunsmith work. Caliber will depend on if you are going to reload.
Not much in the way of factory 6.5 ammo outside of the Creed. 308 is everywhere but will depend on your version of "long range" as to if it will be suitable for your needs. .243 is a great round as well, but again, not a lot of factory match ammo. Left handed is going to be the issue, so maybe get a cheap doner action, hit up Jim at Northland for a barrel and pick a stock you like.

After burning out a barrel or two, and you know exactly what you like and need, then update or order a custom rifle.

Best of luck.

Get the creedmoor unless you find a really cheap 308. You can always get a 308 barrel later to use on your creedmoor.

Lefty really limits options. Normally I'd say buy a Savage 12LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor and be done. But those aren't leftys.

I think your best bet is to buy a used LH model 10 or 12 (maybe even 16?) with the intent to rebarrel (~$350) in 308/6.5/whatever. Used plain jane Savages run ~$250-500. Unless you pick up an accutrigger model, you'll need a trigger, too. That's another ~$100ish. The stock will need to be upgraded too, probably. The bell and carlson , and the choate tactical are good high value choices around $250.

So, for a bit over $1k, you can put together a great left hand shooter.

Savage 11/111 Trophy Hunter XP
$525 w/ Nikon Prostaff 3-9 Scope (lifetime warranty)
-Nikon Scope ~$125
Drops down to $400 with accutrigger. Try and find a varmint spring for the accutrigger to swap out.
If you're really getting into it and handload, then I would suggest a 6mm or 6.5mm round. .243,260, 6.5creed, etc.
This package allows you to buy new which means you can grab a lefty.

Here's what I would do if I were you, you're reloading is going to be the best way to get the most accuracy and shoot cheaper. Get more into reloading. Grab that package gun for $500, get the varmint trigger spring and adjust the trigger down, remount the scope and shoot that for a while. Build up some loads. If you feel real confident, you can grab probably best stock for the money, from stockade stocks for about $250 or so (you have to paint it). That wait could be very long unfortunately, but that can give you time to build up some loads and see if you really want to get into shooting. Then if that comes in, you'll have a great trigger, great stock, reloading, and a decent barrel. If you feel you really still enjoy it, you can grab a nice barrel in the 300-400 range and upgrade the optics. You could be at $1000 without optics and have a great gun that would shoot incredibly well. But, I would start with just reloading, and say a package gun. You can sell the scope or keep it at first.

hit up Jim at Northland for a barrel and pick a stock you like.

This is Northland Shooters Supply, correct?

Savage 11/111 Trophy Hunter XP
$525 w/ Nikon Prostaff 3-9 Scope (lifetime warranty)
-Nikon Scope ~$125
Drops down to $400 with accutrigger. Try and find a varmint spring for the accutrigger to swap out.
If you're really getting into it and handload, then I would suggest a 6mm or 6.5mm round. .243,260, 6.5creed, etc.
This package allows you to buy new which means you can grab a lefty.

Here's what I would do if I were you, you're reloading is going to be the best way to get the most accuracy and shoot cheaper. Get more into reloading. Grab that package gun for $500, get the varmint trigger spring and adjust the trigger down, remount the scope and shoot that for a while. Build up some loads. If you feel real confident, you can grab probably best stock for the money, from stockade stocks for about $250 or so (you have to paint it). That wait could be very long unfortunately, but that can give you time to build up some loads and see if you really want to get into shooting. Then if that comes in, you'll have a great trigger, great stock, reloading, and a decent barrel. If you feel you really still enjoy it, you can grab a nice barrel in the 300-400 range and upgrade the optics. You could be at $1000 without optics and have a great gun that would shoot incredibly well. But, I would start with just reloading, and say a package gun. You can sell the scope or keep it at first.

I have been reloading for more than a decade for my hunting rifles so that part is no problem. I have a Savage package deal rifle in .223 and I absolutely HATE the cheapo magazine it came with.

One reason why I was interested in the Model 10 Predator Hunter was that (I think) it has a better magazine and bottom metal. If I went with the package deal action and built it up what do I do about the crappy mag?

I guess my real problem is that I'm not really a beginner when it comes to shooting but I'm new at trying to reach past 300 yards. I have three great hunting rifles that I regularly shoot with. My 700 BDL is capable of 1/2 inch groups at 100yds and I've shot 1 3/4 inch groups with it at 325 yards (as far as my home range goes). So where do I go from here?

My idea was to get a Model 10 predator hunter in one of the 6.5s and shoot the heck out of it. It's looking like the Creedmoor is the more popular choice. For glass I was (budget in mind) thinking about the SWFA fixed 16 power optic. For the whole set up I'm looking at about $1100 for a "starter" long range shooter. Is this a real step up from my mostly stock 700 BDL?

It's not really a step up from the BDL. What caliber is the Rem chambered in? Sounds like a few upgrades to what you have may be a better option. Then spend what's left on ammo or upgrading your glass

It's not really a step up from the BDL. What caliber is the Rem chambered in? Sounds like a few upgrades to what you have may be a better option. Then spend what's left on ammo or upgrading your glass

My BDL is in .308. I thought about modding my BDL because I do have other options for hunting, but it has some sentimental value to it. I've killed a bunch of whitetails with it and I think I want to hand it down to one of my sons as a hunting rifle.

Maybe I'll just upgrade the glass and my trigger for now. Or I could start trolling the web for used .308s....Frankly I'm adrift and probably need to think about this some more.

I'd appreciate any other ideas. Just to talk about it, what would you suggest I do to the BDL? It is already glass and pillar bedded, but otherwise bone stock.

Yep, Northland Shooters Supply. Just ordered a 300WM CBI the other day.

You'll never be happy with a sporter rifle as a target rifle. Barrel heats up too quick. You'll be waiting more for it to cool than shooting.
There are different tools for different jobs.. get the right tool.
If you really want a target gun you have two options:
1. Buy something you can afford now that will get you out shooting and having fun, but can upgrade over time. (Cheaper up front)
2. Build exactly what you want from jump and be done. (Expensive up front).

I would go with a savage. Out of the box accuracy is the best in the business. Maybe a Remington or clone can do better after having work done but right out of the box even a lot of Remington shooters here will say edge to savage

not to be rude, but how tight is your budget? It would allow for more generalized options in opinion.

Budget is realistically about 1K$. But if I go that high on the rifle I'll have to wait to put glass on it. I'd like to be under $800, that's one reason why the Savage caught my eye, it's the right price. Then I'd have some cash for the SWFA scope too.

If you can go that high get a savage lrp or vlp and be done with it. Any model 10 or twelve would b great and the tens are less than 800. Vlp is a 12 in mid 800s the lrp is 931 and those are definitely sub half moa. Some shooters are reporting 1/4

Go to a local gun store. And check out some of the howa 1500 with the 20" heavy barrel in 308. It has a better action and more smooth than a remington out of the box. Price is about 560 new with tax . It's a great lefty . Get online and order your swfa scope and pick up a few box's of .308 factory ammo. Sight it in and play with the rifle. It shoots great to. 1/2 Moa . Then if you enjoy it save your penny's for a stock from stocky stock . Sell your old hogue over mold that came with it on ebay for about 60-90 . There's some money back . :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The lrp comes with an hs precision stock too. I've been looking into doing what you are thinking about and for the price on the 11s it's way more than the lrp.

Go to a local gun store. And check out some of the howa 1500 with the 20" heavy barrel in 308. It has a better action and more smooth than a remington out of the box. Price is about 560 new with tax . It's a great lefty . Get online and order your swfa scope and pick up a few box's of .308 factory ammo. Sight it in and play with the rifle. It shoots great to. 1/2 Moa . Then if you enjoy it save your penny's for a stock from stocky stock . Sell your old hogue over mold that came with it on ebay for about 60-90 . There's some money back . :)

I've never seen a left handed Howa rifle. I'm not sure they even exist.

ETA:
Nope, they don't. I just went to the Legacy home page. No lefties.

Looks like you gotta shoot a right handed rifle like me. Had to teach my self the hard way. Lefties are more and hard to find or hard to stock it with a new stock or chassis

Savage is GTG. Been running my 10FP since 97. If you really want a lefty I would grab a left handed short action in whatever caliber on the cheap...or even a Stevens if they make a left handed one. Then I would troll the net for a decent used stock like say the HS Precision that everyone gets rid of and put whatever aftermarket barrel you want on it. You can sell the takeoff barrel on one of the savage forums or somewhere and recoup some money. I recommend a creedmoor. You can do all the work yourself and you will end up with a solid rifle in the end. Might take a little while but it should be worth it. Or just buy the LRP Creed and rock on but I guess it won't be lefty. Just another way to get what you want. Good luck.

Savage model 10s are great platforms and shooters. My Savage model 10 FCP-SR is my go to tack driver. (No longer produced) Id go with the model 10 precision

Be aware on the savages that if you get the bolt release on the bottom aftermarket support for stocks is still limited but ramping up. The side bolt release is the standard in the aftermarket.

Check out tikka t3 308 at buds gun shop. They have some left handed t3 for your budget.
I like tikka better than savage.

Savage 10pc nice rifle for the money. I have one in 308 but they are available in 223 also.