• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Newb question on M1A mounts

Gin&Tonic

Private
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2011
Hi all, first post.
Been wanting to get into some long range shooting for a while and bought a Springfld Armory National match M1A a while back. The wife got me a Zeiss Conquest 6.5 x 20 / 50 with the Z1000 reticle for Christmas. I heard the ARMS mount was very good. Is there better? Also, the manual says to take advantage of the scope, to use a 20moa mount. Can I get rings for this setup and what would you recommend. I,m sure as I get into this there will be plenty of other questions on reloads and tuning etc...but this will do for a start.
Thanks

Re: Newb question on M1A1 mounts

The ARMS 18 is a good mount. I don't know of any with 20 MOA.
You will need to build up a cheekpiece on the rifle to get a good cheekweld.
You can add a Karsten or add a stock pack built up with some foam pieces.

opps..fixed it..hey...just got off 13 hrs of work

I would check out the casm mount. Got mine mounted up last weekend. It seems stronger than the other mounts that use the striped clip dove tail and side screw. The casm mount replaces the rear sight and bolts into the ears that protect the rear sight.
It is also much cleaner looking if that matters.

Takes this all for what it is worth as I still have not shot the gun with this mount yet but my previous 3 point style mount did not work well for me and caused me to switch.

Interesting concept. Definitely a switch from the traditional. Please let me know how that mount works out for you. I like the fact that there is a cant on the rail. They don't say how much. I'm going to contact them to see what the degree slope is.

Thanks for the links. Looking at them now.

Good advice from plong above. I use a Sadlak Airborne mount on my SA M1A National Match and couldn't be happier with it.

Whether or not you need a 20 MOA base depends on several factors; how far do you plan to shoot, how much elevation does your scope have, what load are you using, etc.

If in the end you still need some cant, you can find adjustable rings with built in cant. Or you could buy a once piece mount with cant to sit on top of your Smith/Sadlak/ARMS mount.

Thank you.
Realistically, most of the time with the ranges in my area, I'd be looking at 400yrds max, although I plan to make trips to a 600yrd range. I do at some point want to shoot a 1000yrd range. Just to get feel for that distance.