• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Newbe. Can 80 gr SMK'S be loaded for an AR mag?

Magazine loaded 80s came and left a long time ago. Not sure why some here fail to believe it's possible.

HSM in Montana offered 2.260" Sierra Match King loads as factory ammo.
Hmmm…

IMG_5509.jpg

Just because HSM offered it doesn’t make it right. They were idiots for loading it that way.

I load the long 22 cal 95 gr SMK in 5.56 AR in "cutout" magazines so 80gr is no problem...went from 7 to 6 twist 19" barrel.

Reactions: sinister
As has been said. Technically possible, but you’ll either get too much pressure, lower velocity to make it not worth it, and possible precision issues with the jump.

However, of course there’s a however:

There are now some two-piece steel (or nickel alloy?) cases, similar in concept to the 277 Fury case, which can handle increased pressure.

Black Arc Munitions is one company using them, though they are loading 77gr SMKs.

And there’s another company (I can’t recall the name), which is thinking about loading 80gr SMKs to mag length at the higher pressure with these cases to maintain velocity. (EDIT: It is CR2 Shooting Solutions )

Personally, I still wouldn’t load them to mag length even with the cases that can handle the pressure. 77gr TMKs and 73gr ELDMs are about the highest BC bullets that can be reasonably loaded to mag length.

Last edited:
Reactions: sinister