• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Newbe question on scopes

OK Bowhunter

Private
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2010
Oklahoma
Hello Snipers Hide. Been reading through the forumn the last week, took the plunge and joined up. My question is on what to look for in a scope. I have been on other forumns and when you ask about a good scope you will get so many suggestions that you seem to never get the question answered. So instead of asking who makes the best scope for the money what features should I consider to help narrow all the scopes for sale down. I plan on using the scope on a Tikka T3 30-06 for hunting and long range shooting. I am also thinking on using it on my AR15 just to see how it works out.

I am a little confused on the pros and cons of varible powerd compared to fixed power. All ready decided on mil dot FFP scope. I live in Oklahoma and depending on where I can find to hunt I may have anything from 50 t0 500 yards (note I have not practiced nor capable of 500 yards, yet LOL).

Thanks for your input.

Re: Newbe question on scopes

Take advantage of the search function.

Try something like 'best scope' and you could probably read til your eyes pop out.

Suggest you check Zeiss/Heinsoldt, Schmidt & Bender, Premier Heritage, US Optics scopes, and Nightforce scopes.

Personally, I still have a few Nightforce scopes, but own more US Optics scopes than anything else.

The variables give you more versatility, but for the distances you describe a fixed 10X may serve you well. It really depends on what you intend to do with it.

To me, the US Optics SN-3 3.2-17X44(or 58) works well.

About 95% of the time my variable powder scope are set on the highest power but, in hunting, situations arise such as at running game or at close range where a lower power is much better. In the latter situation, you'll be glad you had a variable power scope.

Where I hunt, 300 to 400 yard shots are pretty common and from experience I know a 3-9X is OK, I like a 4-12X better and a 4.5-14X even better. At least for me, when you increase the scope power much more, the scopes start getting larger, heavier and less handy for hunting applications unless you're into long range varmint hunting where you won't be doing much walking.

I like a reticle divided into some type of mil denominations; mill dots are fine but there are other reticles I like even better such as Leupold's TMR reticle. On deer size game you really can do OK with a simple crosshair until the range starts getting much over 400 yards. You don't need a FFP scope for hunting but if you want it,by all means get it.

1st of all - FFP is pointless on a fixed power scope.

Next question is what is your budget? That is probably the 1st thing to consider before looking at which scope to get. You already defined the next - what is the primary use (you said Hunting and some long range shooting 5-500 yds). That's very reasonable.

Define your budget and then I would look at the variable power scopes in the 3-9, 3-12, and 4-14 or 4-16 range within that price range. Anything in there will get the job done easily to 500 yds and still be good for shorter range shots.

Already some very good advise given!

But it would help us out if we knew your budget for glass?

Help us help you!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: abersfelderami</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought fix scopes are FFP? </div></div>

They are.... in the sense that they always denote the same angular measurement, no matter what magnification the scope is on. In the case of a fixed power scope, its kind of a mute point, since there is only one magnification setting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dragonjr45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: abersfelderami</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought fix scopes are FFP? </div></div>

They are.... in the sense that they always denote the same angular measurement, no matter what magnification the scope is on. In the case of a fixed power scope, its kind of a mute point, since there is only one magnification setting. </div></div>

Correct. So hence I don't think the terms "First or Second Focal Plane" even apply to fixed magnification scopes.

I guess my previous post wasn't a whole lot of help to you. You've already stated that you want a 30mm tube. Your objective diameter is also important to consider. The bigger the objective, the more light is gathered, which is especially useful in low light situations. However, as was previously mentioned, the larger objectives will usually add to the cost and weight/bulk of the scope. A nice feature for me is side focus. A side focus knob is a little easier to reach and, for me, is quicker to adjust over an adjustable objective. Side focus does add to the cost of the scope though, and an adjustable objective works very good as well. For your application though, you definitely what either side focus or adjustable objective as opposed to a fixed parallax scope. I agree with the suggestions given for magnification, 3-9 or 4.5-14 would be a good place to start for the range you are wanting to shoot. One thing I don't think anyone touched on is target adjustment knobs. If you plan on using a ballistics calculator to adjust your scope before your shot (as opposed to a single zero and holding over your target for longer shots), then you probably want to spend the extra money for target adjustment knobs. If you are just going to zero it in at one distance and never change your zero, then forget them. In your price range, I would personally be looking at leupold first, along with maybe nikon and burris. It looks like leupold VX3s are just a little over your price range, but they are very good scopes. They don't have them with mildot though. If it was me at that general price range, I would be looking at this http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=338471
Its $750, but would make an excellent scope in my opinion. In fact after looking at it before I suggested it, I might have to buy one....it would be perfect for my 204 and priced right too...........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OK Bowhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking around 500 to 600 tops for my starter scope.</div></div>

That narrows it down to just one or two in variable power I believe. Go look at the Super Sniper at swfa.com they have a Mil/Mil FFP for 599. I'd suggest that one.