• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Newbe to Sniper Rifle Purchase

rollsman44

Private
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2012
I am not sure if I am in the wrong post section. I have always wanted to shoot long range( over 500 meters). I will be moving to Delaware in June 2012. I would like to buy a Sniper/ Long range rifle and scope that is fairly reasonably. It can be used in Excellent condition. I also have to find a range that I can go to that will not be so far from home. I do not reload so I would have to buy ammo off the shelf and Cost is also important to me. I was in USMC many years ago and in Nam and did not have the time or the money to invest in this type of shooting. I would appreciate any suggestions you can offer me at this time. Thank you very much, rollsman

Re: Newbe to Sniper Rifle Purchase

For the best bang for your buck, I'd look at a Savage in 243 or 308 with a bushnell elite or a Nikon Buckmaster somewhere around 4-14x40

For a bit more, a Remington 700 SPS with a Nikon Monarch or a Bushnell Elite would be a good platform.

Thank you Austin. I will check into it, rolls man

Thank you. I was looking at the Savage model 10. Rollsman

I'm surprised no one asked what your looking at for initial investment and what you want that to include?

You could spend $500 or $5,000...or more. Look on the forum for someone upgrading and selling their rifle; lots of good deals. You'll either be happy with the level of performance you get, lose interest and dedication and move on without a huge investment, or you'll discover, like many, the passionate pursuit of illusive perfection comes with a price.

if your really plaining on not reloading, you may want to consider very carfully to witch cartrage you go with bud. B/C it can be very expencive to buy factory ammo, unless you have lots of $. not to mention you dont get anywhere near the accuracy for that over 500 meter mark, nor do you feel that reward of doing it all yourself. for example if you were to shoot a 338 LM, it would not take long to have as much money in factory ammo as you do in the gun, if you buy good stuff.

My advice would be buy something on an action you can have the option to customize later if the bug really bites you.

Buy it in 308win and that way you can have the option later on down the road you can do an infinite number of things to it.

For example, you can go buy a Rem 700 PSS then, you can upgrade to a better stock, bed it.... when you're shooting better and you are wanting to barrel it, you can barrel it and even rechamber it to 6.5x47 260rem or something else.

That way you can start with a nice little rifle and end up with a compltely custom rifle by re-using the action and changing parts around it if you start off correctly with a vision in mind.

The other option was already mentioned above... look here on the hide for a nice used rifle. Keep in mind, on these rifles, barrels are like tires on your car, they wear out and you replace them. Don't be scared to jump in and buy a nice used rifle either. Lots of folks trade out rifles and trade up rifles.