• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Newbie ammo question

flemgunner

Private
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2011
La.
Ok so I have a nifty box of ammo sitting on my desk and am curios about something. The ballistic "scale" on the box only goes up to 500 yds. How do you guys figure out drop at ranges out to 1k?
I understand its only a guide and all but like I said, Im new to all this

Re: Newbie ammo question

Never mind I figured it out. DL an app input the data and poof

Bravo for figuring that out. It shows dedication and ingenuity.

Before you trust the computations completely, I'd suggest confirming the results at some of the distances.

The box ballistic chart makes general assumptions that influence the data's validity. Confirmation will determine whether any adjustments or compensations might need doing for your particular rifle. Quite often some variance between comps and practical experience will appear.

You might also want to consider that factory loads may or may not remain supersonic out to 1000yd. Transsonic and subsonic portions of a trajectory can behave out of character compared to the supersonic portion.

Just keep your eyes and mind open, and you'll do fine.

Greg

id ignore anything the manufacturer prints on the box. they inflate velocities. check yer load thru a chrono from your rifle and then jbm that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flemgunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok so I have a nifty box of ammo sitting on my desk and am curios about something. The ballistic "scale" on the box only goes up to 500 yds. How do you guys figure out drop at ranges out to 1k?
I understand its only a guide and all but like I said, Im new to all this </div></div>Look up the facts on some ballistics software. Some ammunition companies have this information on their websites.