• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Newbie bag

FrozenMinnesotan

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2018
Ne MN
Almost ready for prs matches here in mn. I need a good bag that won't break the bank but isn't crap. Looking to spend no more that 150 for hopefully 2 bags but if 1 would be all I need I can splurge on one. Something that works off a bench good would be nice too.

I would suggest something like a Saracen from Warehorsedevelopment.com is a great first bag. You can use it as a front support or rear support. I wouldn't worry too much about getting a bunch of bags and would just go to some shoots and borrow stuff from people, then you can get an idea of what you like and don't like after trying it. You can get lost in buying all the rage but realize it just does not work well for you.

Game changer is very useful and versatile. Take previous info borrow gear from other shooters and see what works. Most shooters are more than willing to let you borrow their gear. You will save $$$.

Find a couple nice used bag that cost a lot more originally. There’s always guys offloading gear that they aren’t using or have upgraded. After all, if your going to use them for matches, it’s gonna get dirty one way or another.

Last edited:
have you looked at sert gun bags and cases ? they have a lot of stuff under $300 most under $200.

PrecisionUndergroundRifleGear.com

I shot my first match this past weekend and used the Recon Mini and ELR Mini only and never once felt like I needed anything else. I finished 35th out of 85 and gave away at least 9 impacts due to rookie mistakes such as selecting the wrong rifle in my ballistics app and dialing .5 mils rather than 1.5 mils lol. Without a few bonehead moves I finish top 20. Not bad for a first match. You could do Recon Mini and an ELR for well under $150. Shoot me a PM and I’ll send you a first match coupon code! I can also give you a few tips that I could have done much better had someone told me!

The pint size gamechanger covers everything I need from a bag for over 90% of the stages I see at matches. From time to time, I need either a lightweight rear bag that I can hang from my stock, or a large positional bag. For those, I use a Python and a large Fat Bag. If I had to use only one bag, it would be the Pint Size.

I would suggest something like a Saracen from Warehorsedevelopment.com is a great first bag. You can use it as a front support or rear support. I wouldn't worry too much about getting a bunch of bags and would just go to some shoots and borrow stuff from people, then you can get an idea of what you like and don't like after trying it. You can get lost in buying all the rage but realize it just does not work well for you.
Solid advice here! Might throw in a str8 laced as well and be done.
Just sayin...

Precision Underground

I got the 3D ELR. I love it. I asked for hand straps on both sides, and they added them at no extra cost. I love this bag.

Also, I ordered it Friday night, and got it Monday night. They made the bag the day after I ordered it, shipped it the same day, and it made it to Texas from Florida by Monday. Their customer service is top notch.

Gamechanger here also. I prefer the full size waxed canvas version.

Shot a PRS club match last weekend and it was the only bag I used. Positions included rocks, tires, tank traps, barricades, ladder, rooftop, and prone shooting. I went 80/90 and won the match. I have a larger pump pillow bag but I left it at home.

Find a rear-bag you like and I'd go with just that. I use the wiebad tac pad. Seems like rear bag selection is very personal though. Game changer (or one like it). And something like the wiebad pump pillow. All three would set you back ~$280.

But you probably won't have have a hard time finding a game changer and pump pillow bags to borrow at a match until you figure out which ones you prefer the best and funds allow. Last match I was at there were 3 shooters using the same game changer and pump pillow in the same squad.

Sheldon N- Gamechanger here also. I prefer the full size waxed canvas version.

me too

Reactions: Sheldon N
Don't buy anything. Go to the match. Take your rifle. Take your bipod. Take your ammo. Take whatever bag you have now. Borrow everyone else's bag. Borrow a different bag every stage if you feel like it. No one's going to say no. No one is going to say anything other than "Hey, try this bag." Once you have tried 3 or 4, then buy one. You're already destined to have a foot locker full of support bags. You might as well have a trunk full of bags you like.

Just did some testing on this today and it is bad ass. 3 lbs and about the size of a coke can. It hooks to a carbon fiber arca plate or comes off the plate and hooks to the rifle. I can shoot 1 moa at 400 yds with it. I keep making this bag smaller and smaller trying to find the edge where it doesn’t work well and this little thing still works great, likely thanks to the carbon fiber plate that sinks into the bag. It uses a new fill that is really unique. Really heavy for its size and works almost exactly like very dry, coarse sand.
D6E54A37-DE3F-46FE-9B15-79B50F0C743D.jpeg

82232EC9-E938-45A7-B974-2A7C8439E2E1.jpeg

Reactions: 021411
Nice! You should experiment with lighter weight waxed canvas. If I knew how to sew and had an industrial machine, I'd be experimenting with all kinds of stuff.

For a single do it all bag I think I would go with the Warhorse Development Comanche.

For mostly match oriented shooting the Sarecen is a little bigger but you might find it a little large as a rear bag. My 2 bag solution would be a sarecen and small rear bag from triad tactical.

Reactions: simpy16
Nice! You should experiment with lighter weight waxed canvas. If I knew how to sew and had an industrial machine, I'd be experimenting with all kinds of stuff.
I've done some things with waxed canvas. It's nice but it's not magic or anything. The grippy material I am using on the Recon bags works better for my application. The GC benefits from the waxed canvas because it lets the fill flow better and gives it a little grip. FLowing is crucial with the GC because its big and needs to flow all of the way around an obstacle to be effective. If it doesn't flow to the point that the two legs make full contact with themselves or the obstacle there is no real benefit to the bag. My design doesn't need to flow to be effective. A long as the front and back of the bag can "droop" off a little bit the grippy material and the dense fill grabs and holds and then the plate gives you a wide base to create stability. If you are applying good fundamentals it is plenty to shoot 1 MOA.

Can you get away with with as much as you could with a GC? No. But I don't want to get away with slipping fundamentals. It is crazy how much better of a shooter I am from building and testing bags. Had I thrown a GC up and gone to town I would not have progressed nearly as much as I have. Where that will matter is on stages where an obstacle is not steady or in a real world situation. I will never need a tripod to "game" some rear support on a stage where the obstacle is not steady(picture the guy who dropped his rifle in the finale last season trying to use a GC while using a tripod for rear support on an unsteady obstacle). I don't want to need to do that to shoot well. My two legs plus the connection to the obstacle equals three points of support and that equals a tripod. Learn to balance those forces and use bone support and you can get incredible stability even if the obstacle under the gun is not steady. Having a solid base under the rifle(such as the small device pictured above) allows you to utilize your "third leg" and create a tripod. Sorry for the long bag geek response lol.