• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Newbie Can Question

drn1234

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2011
Castle Rock Colorado
Hi. I am new to the forum and new to long range shooting. I am currently gathering all my gear and rifle. Buying one piece at a time.

I have done allot of reading but I was wondering of you can help my search for a suppressor.

With all these manufacturers and varying prices what do I look for in a long range suppressor? construction? length? type of materials?

Are there different kinds for different applications?

Someone recommended Thunderbeast as an option. Does anyone have experience with these?

I want to buy a single .338 cal can to also work on my .308. I have narrowed my rifle down to the desert tactical in .308 for learning then to be able to buy a .338 later.

Sorry if this is all newbie stuff. I have been reading and learning but finally figure it would be easier to ask.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Re: Newbie Can Question

Hi,

I'm one of the Thunder Beast Arms Corp guys. Before the company, we all shot different manufacturers' suppressors in competition. When it comes to a long-range/precision suppressors accuracy and repeatability (can on/off/on) are the most important factors, followed by somewhat less important ones like weight, suppression, size, etc. Some of our customers should be around shortly to give you their opinion, and I'm sure you'll hear some others as well.

David, I have absolutely no real world experience to offer, I have never shot suppressed in my life, but I have the bug as well.
In the last couple of months, I have done an ass ton of research on suppressors.
Comparing weight, length, materials, etc. I have read on here, silencer talk, and numerous other pages.
My take is your gonna want a direct thread mount, Ti can.
There are a few out there but the company above is getting my coin,
based off reputation, customer service and product.
I shot Zak an email today n within 3 minutes I had a reply.
Read some of their reviews n buy with confidence. I know I'm making the right decision.

Check out their 30P-1. It's the one you want.

+1 nuf said.
smile.gif

Get to a stocked Class III dealer and get your hands on some variety. Buying the "right" one is so subjective, please don't just take someone's word for a particular can and blindly throw your money at something.

And I mean absolutely no disrespect to anyone with this, but nobody but you knows what things you are looking for in a suppressor, and I would never take buying advice from anyone who hasn't actually used the product they are recommending.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sweetbeard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where are you located

start there! </div></div>

Just my 2 cents...

Head out to a local match and check 'em out for yourself. I've *yet* to meet someone running suppressed that minds talking to someone trying to educate themselves. Be respectful and remember who's asking who for help
smile.gif
I've had a number of guys tell me "if I had to do it again....."

Also, even if you don't have your rifle, scope or whatever. Most match directors could always use a helping hand setting up the match etc. Great way to meet some folks and help grow the sport.

To the OP, although you can only gather so much from a video on YouTube, this is one of the best representations of the Thunderbeast Arms suppressors I've found. Compared to everything else I've heard (Gemtech, AAC, Elite Iron, Surefire, AWC, YHM), the TBAC 30 reigns supreme!

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/J2_RESh4uQc&fmt=18"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/J2_RESh4uQc&fmt=18" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Hi everyone and thanks for the response.
I live in Colorado.

I guess my question is what makes one suppressor better then the next. I understand the on/off/on that is very important but are their things to look out for like materials of contraction, metal gauge, etc. Just trying to view as many as possible before making a very expensive decision.

Zak, Your company comes highly recommended. Just for my own knowledge I am just trying to figure out how to compare apples to apples. I also see your in colorado as well. Do you use CRCI out in Byers as a range? I am thinking about becoming a member in January. I am in Castle Rock.

Note* i dont own a can, but to answer your question: what i hear a lot of Forms and people asking:
WEIGHT
LENGTH
METAL USED
ABILITY TO OPEN / CLEAN VS SOAK
DECIBLES LOWERED
ABILITY TO CYCLE (with subsonics in SA)
ABILITY FOR THE CAN TO HANDLE MAGNUM OR OTHER CALIBERS
- such as a 17HMR working for .22mag and .22LR
SWAPABLE TO MULTI RIFLES
THREADS (measurements and adapters)
ACCURACY / VELOCITY / CONSISTANCY
HEAT DISPURSION

I'd check out what SAS has to offer. Never been around a thunderbeast but I'm sure they're quite good. SAS seemed to be better quality over Gemtech and Surefire cans that I've been around, course you pay a little more. Nothing but pleased with my SAS.

wait til shot show is done. probably some new cool cans to come out.

I own 5 Cans and went AAC for most of them. I recently bought their new 7.62SD-N can for my 308. I wouldn't get a 338 suppressor for 338 and 308 IMHO.

The 338 will be huge compared to the 7.62 can and you will likely shoot the 7.62 five times as much. Just get a 7.62 can due to weight , length.

Advanced Armament and surefire are two of the top names I considered. Surefire stakes it's reputation on Accuracy and minimal POI shift. It cost a little more. If I didn't already have multiple mounts for AAC, I would have bought Surefire for my 7.62 can.

Also you need to listen to suppressor before you buy one. It ain't like the movies. A 5.56 round sounds about like a .22LR when fired. You probably know this. It's not silent.

My HK45 with .45 TiRant is damn near close but that round heads out at 800 fps. I've never heard a 338 suppressed, but I would guess a pretty good sonic crack.

Good luck

Thanks everyone for the info.

Zak, I would love to take you up on that. I will PM you in the coming month.

Do you recommend any ranges with long range capability near Castle Rock. I looked into Ben L but they are only out to 600 yds.

Thanks again!
Dave