• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Newbie from France.

gilgsn

Gil
Minuteman
Dec 25, 2021
France
www.youtube.com
Hello.

Just getting into rifle shooting... Well, I've had a few, but never shot long distance, i.e. more than 100m. I was into, and still am into pistol shooting. I started young, with BP revolvers before I could buy my first cartridge gun, A Coonan 357, LOL. i got into IPSC competitions, until I left France for Florida in 94. Back in France since 2016, at least for now, with a newly found love for Western guns, 1850 to 1900... Found myself a genuine Colt SAA built in 1897 .38-40, fixed the timing and Bob's my uncle ;-) I also own an Uberti 1873 rifle in .32-20, which shoots well at 100m. My first bolt action, bought last year, or was it two years ago? 2021 went by in a flash, is a CZ 455 in .17hmr. That was the first time I shot past 25m! I put a cheap Hawke 4-16 with a 17hmr reticle on it and called it good enough. Tomorrow I am getting a Remington 783 Heavy Barrel (24") in .308. I'll be waiting for that brown truck all day! I have a Boyds Spike Camp stock on order. I hesitated a long time between .308 and 6.5 Creedmoor, but there was no 6.5 available and everything for 308 is more available and cheaper. That rifle cost me the equivalent of $800, because of taxes... I can't spend more than the rifle's price for a scope so I am looking at a Vector Continental 3-18x50 34mm tube. I was tempted by the Vortex Venom 6-25x56 but the 6x is a bit high for an all-around rifle. So I am very new to long-range shooting... BTW I do cast and reload. Thank you all for the great advice I have already read here and will no doubt learn in the future. Merry Christmas and happy new year!

Gil.

Thanks again! I got the 783 today... The action and barrel look good. The stock is crap. The barrel is not free-floating as advertised. It's also not "heavy," as far as I would call it, but it isn't the pencil kind either. Glad I have a Boyds stock on order. The trigger is pretty good given the price point. That blade in the trigger feels weird, remind me of my Glock, but it breaks cleanly. My only concern is the action screw in front of the trigger guard, which looks canted a few degrees... It could be the stock or trigger guard that make it looks that way of course. I have not taken it apart yet, can't find my hex driver... I hope the hole in the action was drilled true...
To be continued, probably in other threads.
Gil.

Welcome.

Might check out the Fieldcraft threads. Field Communication is an item of infrequent interest compared to the shooting, but it does come up from time to time. Appears you have some experience to contribute.