• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Newbie Help with Savage Edge

lucky hunter

Private
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2012
Hello all,

I have a savage edge in .243 and I was thinking of "customizing" it (bipod, nice scope, tactical stock, and a trigger job.) My question is, is the edge a good gun to do that with? I want this gun to coyote hunt mostly and i want it to hold up for a long time. So is it worth dumping money On "extras" into it or should I wait to purchase a better rifle?

Thanks!!

Re: Newbie Help with Savage Edge

The Edge you have should do fine with decent glass sitting on top for coyotes. I purchased one as a gift for my father and he really likes it as is with a Zeiss on top. For what it is (pickup) rifle, it is great. Save your money and buy another savage like the LRP or just call them and they will put something together for you.

The Edge is great as a beater gun, but in terms of customizability, the only things compatible with a regular savage is the barrel and I think the trigger (not sure). The stocks are not compatible and no one makes custom stocks for it yet.

Check out Savage Shooters Forum site. Alot of good savage info on there. Like the above guy stated, barrels are about all that will interchange. The Edge is an accurate rifle but lacks in the aftermarket world. Find you a used Savage or Stevens 200 and build on the action. If you are patient you can find a deal I'm sure.

I think I will wait to pick up a Remington 700. That I know will serve me will for a very long time.

Can't go wrong with that decision. Good luck on your build.

If you want to get into it slowly, buy a stevens.

You can upgrade over time. The rifle will cost you about 250.
You can sell your edge and damn near pay for it.

Then:
upgrade the trigger

next:
upgrade the stock

finally:
upgrade the barrel (which you can do yourself if you know how to loosen and tighten a nut)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sell it, buy a real gun.

I'm being serious. </div></div>

Last time I checked... I believe there is a mighty fast projectile that still leaves his barrel just as fast as it leaves yours.

Lucky, you can get it done with a $400 rifle just as you can with a $5000 one. It all comes down to how serious you want to get and if you really want to know if it was the gun or if it was your mistake. If you have a tried and true budget gun that you are confident with as a starter then kudos to you buddy. I think anyone willing and trying to get into this sport is great. You'll get addicted fast. Good luck and keep us all posted with your upgrades. This forum is a great way to learn.