• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Newbie here with a few Q's

bgbeards

Private
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2009
Orange County, CA
Hi, first post here. I have been reading many posts and am looking for a few suggestions. I want to buy a rifle for doing target shooting (paper & steel) out to 1000 yards. I am pretty commited to remington, due to aftermarket, but am open to suggestions. I currently like the 700 VLS and Police model. Both have 26" heavy barrels which I think would be ideal. Is one of these better than the other, or should I be looking at something differnt. Thanks for the help.

Re: Newbie here with a few Q's

I'm a noob too, but I shot my Ruger M77VLE with 26" barrel sucessfully out to 1,000 yards.

308 Win good....the rest doesn't matter as long as it is more accurate than you and has repeatable results with you shooting.

Noddle barreled 223 Rems shoot out to 1000 yards...so just about whatever you get will work.

Try this search engine:

Search

Pretty much search for noobie/newbie/first rifle....you know the usual

Think before you jump out there and buy a rifle. Are you going to be happy with the rifle "stock" meaning (as is) or are you going to want to put on a aftermarket stock like a manners or a HS pres. or a McM? Are you going to want to swap out the trigger?My reason for saying this is because if your going to end up "upgrading" all these parts of the rifle then just get a Rem. 700 SPS-Varmit with the 26" heavy barrell for about $540 and spend the extra cash on the upgraded stock and whatever else you want. I just went through all this myself. I knew that I would end up "upgrading" so I just got the SPS-Varmit and bought a H.S. Pres stock and a new trigger. Mine is in .300WSM and I got it for 1000 yard shooting (eventually). I liked the .300WSM over the .308 for this range, but I think its to each his own. Lots of people on the forums were telling me the .308 really starts to loose it steam after 600 yards so I decided on the .300WSM

Hope this helps,

i agree with Trevor300wsm, I did the same thing except i went with the .308, a H-S Precision PST012 stock ( comes on the 700police versions), and a Jewell trigger

What is the differnce between the SPS Varmit and VLS or Police models. Is it just the stock and finish. I notice the VLS has a jewled bolt which makes me think it has a nicer action, but is it just cosmetics. Thanks.

dontstrokeme, thank you for posting that search engine, I can never find one when I need it. Anyone new, book mark that thing so you dont spend a year yelling obsenities because you cant find shit with the regular search, like me...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bgbeards</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the differnce between the SPS Varmit and VLS or Police models. Is it just the stock and finish. I notice the VLS has a jewled bolt which makes me think it has a nicer action, but is it just cosmetics. Thanks. </div></div>

Thats talked about pretty often, maybe im stupid, but I do not notice an action difference between my SPS-V my 700P or my new XCR. They are all equally sloppy compared to my old hunting rifles... Hell of a lot more accurate though.

from what i understand the rem sps-v and the 700p are the same barrel and action, just different finish and stock as you said