• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Newbie here with muzzle break question

Jcjohnson3

Private
Minuteman
Jul 4, 2013
First off I want to say this is one of the best sites I've been around. I mainly do a lot of looking with this being my first post. Tons of great info on here! I am looking at my first custom rifle chambered in 7mm mag. My question is on a 26 inch heavy barrel would a muzzle break have any degradation in respect to muzzle velocity and accuracy out past the 500 mark? I understand the reduction of recoil would help but what are the downsides to a break? Thanks in advance and please if this is a newbie type question humor me! I've searched on here a few times and just thought I'd ask straight out!

The only downside to the brake is increased noise and concussive blast to the sides. A good brake installed correctly will not effect accuracy or MV. The Vais still brakes work great as hunting brakes while there are many many good tactical brakes. The most popular around here, and for good reason are the APA and Badger Brakes

I'm leaning toward a GA precision build with the Titan brake. Or no brake at all. I have no issue with the recoil. I just want the most as far as acuaracy is concerned! Thanks for the response.

What do you plan on doing with the rifle? Steel or hunting, or both? That will help narrow things down.

All...paper, steel, and long range hunting mainly elk and above with this rifle and caliber. I'd like to e able to work up loads for all.

If the recoil is fine, don't put a brake on it, it just adds extra weight you don't need and you'll kick yourself later. A brake will not effect velocity or accuracy it's just going to take the recoil down. I had a .300WM a few years back that had no brake and killed my shoulder after shooting 10 rounds prone. Put a brake on it and it was like shooting a .308, almost no recoil. If a 7mm recoils anything like a .300WM get a brake.

I love my APA.....i have a little jimmy...the only thing i wpuld change is going to the lil bastard...and the ONLY reason for that is so it can be turned down to match the barrel.....other than that i love it....have a gunsmith install it and no loss of accuracy or MV..... I'd go with a break just so my shoulder doesn't take a beating while shooting...