• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

newbie here

93notch

Private
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2014
Hey everyone i have been reading on this forum for a while and have decided to start building a little rifle. I want to be able to varmint hunt and do some long range shooting. 500 ish yards. So i was looking at 220 swift or 22-250. I am looking for some advice on things like actions and stocks and what nots. I was thinking about using a remington 700 SA to get started and then if i want to upgrade down the road i could save up some more money and get something else. Does anyone on here have any first hand knowledge of the small bullets. THanks
Aaron

Use a Rem700....22-250 would be a great 500yd rifle with heavies. Brass is easy to find and that cartridge is forgiving in the reloading dept. Get yourself an 8 twist or faster barrel with the 70-80gr bullets; it should be a shooter.

Make sure you do your homework on the twist rates, most factory 22-250s wont have the twist rate to shoot the really heavy bullets. With out that you might as well do a 223 with a fast twist rate.

Make sure you do your homework on the twist rates, most factory 22-250s wont have the twist rate to shoot the really heavy bullets. With out that you might as well do a 223 with a fast twist rate.

I believe he is "Building" a rifle. If this is true then factory offerings have no meaning to him.

I would either do a 22-250 or AI with a fast twist or even a .223AI with a fast twist. That should allow you to get quite a bit of range if needed.

I'm also looking at a 243 now just seems like a little better both of us I can deer hunt with it in Kansas

243 will be much better, especially for long range use. So, are you having a gunsmith build you a rifle with parts you will select, or are you looking for a factory rifle that will cover your needs?

I'm either going to buy the parts and have a gunsmith help me assemble and set everything up buy a stocks app for now and make some changes as I go