• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Newbie here

Jamesl0822

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2020
Long post warning!

Brand new to the forum and brand new to shooting anything past 100yds.
I got a savage 10 BA Stealth 6.5 Creedmoor for $800 plus tax from bass pro. I mated a vortex diamondback 6-24×50 MRAD scope to it for $375 from Amazon. I broke in the barrel and sent about a couple of boxes down range out to 200 yds.
Feeling confident after hitting 2 golf balls with 2 shots at 200 yrs, I found a range out to 1000 yds yesterday. There aren't many here in central Georgia so I headed to Cool 1000 range about 1.5 hrs away. Before heading to the range I added a 20 moa rail and changed my scope mounts.
Got my 100 yd zero and after putting one in the center. I updated my FPS to the range chronograph info (2892 prime ammunition 130 gr match+) in Strelok Pro. Dialed up the prescribed clicks for a 600 yard shot and hit all 3 shots with a minor adjustment after the first shot to get me to dead center.
Then I moved out to 1000 yards. The ranger said to shoot 2 shots at a clay pigeon on the berm in front of the paper targets. Corrections were to be easier to see on the berm since we would need to ride to check the paper. I hit the clay pigeon first shot. Then put all 3 shots on paper, but they were all over the place. The ranger said wind so I put 5 more shots and missed everything. Took it back to 100 and my zero had moved. Thought maybe my cheek placement was all over the place but it continued to move. Left the range and went home.... loose 20 moa rail! The new rail should have come with new screws bc the warne rail was machined for a screw with bigger shoulder than the screws in the factory rail.
Waiting on new screws lol... maybe it was all luck? Or did it loosen up?

If everything was solid, getting good shots, etc. Then everything goes to shit, something loosened up. Probably the rail. Did you use blue loctite on the screws?

Reactions: Jamesl0822
welcome from delaware and congrats wishes he had a 1000 yard range to shoot at sounds real nice . we recently started shooting golf balls starting at 400 yards out its kinda neat figuring out where they fly off to after the first hit for a follow up shot , even more surprising to me was they don't pop or explode like what I thought they would you can hit them many times unless you do chip them into nothing but even that is sort of fun as your target gets smaller and smaller , sadly no 1000 yard ranges near me that I know of . blue sounds good to use maybe purple maybe .

Reactions: Jamesl0822
If everything was solid, getting good shots, etc. Then everything goes to shit, something loosened up. Probably the rail. Did you use blue loctite on the screws?
I did use the blue loctite but after taking the scope off, taking out each screw adding more loctite, I gave the rail a tug and felt it move. I compared the two rails and it looks like the warne rail requires a bigger head on the screw and/or possibly shorter screws.
I sure am ready to go back

Reactions: clcustom1911