• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

NEWBIE INPUT NEEDED - RE: Tactical matches etc

Re: NEWBIE INPUT NEEDED - RE: Tactical matches etc

Just go out there, be safe, prepare yourself the best you can and just shoot. Don't think about the competition.. "just do what you do" and everything else will come.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not having access to a spotter who has a clue. There's nothing like throwing lead down range and not have a clue where it's going.

I've never been to a long distance range, so I have no DOPE, and no real clue how to get started with it any further than 300 yards, and no one to spot for me doesn't help in the motivation department. </div></div>

Yep, that'd do it for me too. Unless you can see a splash on a backstop, it's almost impossible without a spotter that can pick up the vapor trail to know where the bullet went. If you have a place that you can shoot with a dirt berm or you can set up a small dirt berm, you can spot your own if you have enough magnification on your rifle optic to see it. With the bullet taking over 1.5 seconds to get to 1000yds, you can recover and see the splash pretty easily if you have the backstop to see it. Some can even pick up the vapor trail in their own scope if you don't shoot a super large caliber that is not too hard to do. It's next to impossible for me to do that shooting a 300wm though but, I have no problems at all seeing the splash on the berm through my scope so, I don't mind shooting alone.

Also, if you decide to set up something on land you have, it's pretty easy to get a GPS and mark out 1000yds and set up a small dirt berm and, you're in business. Once you have your 1000yd dope, you can work out everything else on JBM and print out a range card for anything you want.

If you did have that dirt berm or even if you don't, you can use a GPS to keep backing up till you do get out to the 1000yd line while making a dope chart the entire way. That way you don't have to plunk down the cash for an expensive range finder, you can use somebody's garman and call it good.

JB - did you ever reveal the reasong for this post? If so, I missed it. It still seemed to be an informative thread, but I was curious what your intended purpose was.