• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Newbie, looking at 4 cheap options, comments?

Leifycake

Private
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2012
Washington [WA]
So, I've been flirting with the idea of getting something in .308, or maybe 30.06,..open to other calibers. Just for target shooting. I'd really like something with a 24 inch barrel,...but I'd also like it in .308, mainly because of cost, If ammo wasn't an option I'd like .260 rem..but I don't want to spend that money.

I've looked around, and have considered the following. I don't want a plethora of other suggestions for rifles, just sort of comparing these things if people have personal knowledge.

Walmart,
-Remington 700, XRC/XCR? w/ Scope, 30.06, for $420, probably my number one option so far.. downside is no detach mag...don't really care, and I'd rather have .308 over 30.06..but not dealbreakers

-Savage 10XP..somthing or other... $450, has a scope and...I didn't see a detach magazine.. I only hear good things about these, but I just like the idea of a 24 inch barrel.

-Mossberg 4x4, I've seen this on the internet, I like the idea of it in 308..or maybe in .06, with detach mag, 24 inch barrel with break..., I just don't like the idea of spending around 550 after shipping/taxes/transfer.

-Marlin model X7 VH? the one with the 26 inch barrel...seems OK priced around 350 on the internet, any reason why this would be worse than the Mossberg?

Thoughts on (these please) rifles? I should say that I'm not willing to spend the extra 1 or 2 hundred..., I want to keep the whole thing down around 500 for gun and scope.

Thanks guys, -Leif in Seattle

Re: Newbie, looking at 4 cheap options, comments?

I would suggest the 700SPS tactical. I have seen them new for ~$500-600. The 700 action can be upgraded/refined a million ways. If you can spend a little more, try to find a 700P in .308. I bought mine used with 50 rounds down the tube for $700. 26" barrel with the 700P, and the older ones(5-10 years old) seem to be better finished. I have the stock barreled action, no work done, and a McRee stock with a Viper PST 4-16X50. Have been shooting competitions for the past year with success. The SPS tactical will get you started...but the 700P is better for only a bit more.

Forgot to mention, my stock 700P is shooting 6" groups at 600 yards. Sub MOA at 100 yards.

don't get too stuck on that barrel length deal. Do you reload? Lowlight has a video somewhere on here where he's pounding steel out of an 18" barrel .308. The Savages are very accurate out of the box. If barrel length is your concern, I believe the Rem 700 SPS Varmint has a 26" heavy bbl and a little stiffer stock than the Tactical's Hogue stock. The Varmint's can be found for 550-600.00.

Keep in mind that I'm new to precision shooting, but I think you should go with the Remington. I picked up a Remington 700 SPS cut down to 18" and with a crappy scope from Walmart was hitting out to 600 no problem. Before I get shit for the crappy scope know this, it was only a loaner to use until my Vortex came in.

Here's one that may fit your needs
wink.gif

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...453#Post3370453

I have a Savage 10FP with a 10x42 SS for glass. I have nothing but good things to say about these savage rifles. Very accurate, very reliable, and also very affordable. I would take a long look at the Savages.

If you have a Dicks sporting good in your area. They had Remington varmint adl stocked rifles for $450. The reason I would go remington. There is a ton of options for them. I bought a varmint 4 years ago. I upgraded when I could. It shot under Moa

If you're just looking for a "budget" target rifle, you're choosing from the wrong calibers. You should get a .223. Ammo cost is ~ 1/2 the cost of .308 and you can get good deals on bulk buys; match grade ammo is available too. 30-06 is a high powered hunting rifle and expensive to shoot. The cost of ammo will quickly eclipse the cost of the gun.

I just did a quick search, you can easily find a savage .223 that will get you under the $500, even with a ghetto scope. You can get a R700 .223 SPS new for just a little over $500. Check out gunbroker.com and you might be able to find one ~ $400.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LT JGB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you're just looking for a "budget" target rifle, you're choosing from the wrong calibers. You should get a .223. Ammo cost is ~ 1/2 the cost of .308 and you can get good deals on bulk buys; match grade ammo is available too. 30-06 is a high powered hunting rifle and expensive to shoot. The cost of ammo will quickly eclipse the cost of the gun.

I just did a quick search, you can easily find a savage .223 that will get you under the $500, even with a ghetto scope. You can get a R700 .223 SPS new for just a little over $500. Check out gunbroker.com and you might be able to find one ~ $400. </div></div>

Problem with that is you are not gonna do much long range with .223, and if i read correctly, tha tis what OP mentioned...LR.

OP...you were me, 2+ years ago. I came here looking for same thing.

Here is where I got steered:
Rem 700 SPS Varmint 26" Heavy barrel .308 $569
Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 glass
EGW one piece base, and Warne rings (lows)
Have $1200 in whole setup.

Grouped sub MOA right out of the box, and with practice/range time, consistent 3/4" groups, and on good days, and every now and then, 1/2" groups.

Finally swapped out stocks on it, to a B&C M40. Love it. Very fun stick to shoot, and very accurate.

If looking for even more budget, the ADL version Rem 700 can be had for even less.

I just picked up a Rem 700 in long action, chambered for the 7MM Rem Mag for $369 from Academy.

Now keep in mind that scope that is included with the rifle yo umentioned. Would say, that price, that the scope aint worth a hill of beans.

Scope is an area that mot newbies dont consider, and fact is, it's one of the more important things to look at/buy.

Cant hit what you cant see.

sorry, OP, I also should have mentioned that you should stay away from the Marlins and Mossbergs. Not that there is anything wrong with them, BUT, chances are if you get into this LR shooting "thing," you'll be wanting to upgrade various things along the way. This is possible with the Rems and Savages, not so much with the Mossy's and Marlins.

I didn't read anything regarding "long range" in the OP's post. How long are we talking? With the amount he is looking at spending on a scope, 400-600 yds will be about the limit. A .223 will work just fine at those ranges and cost alot less than a .308.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LT JGB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't read anything regarding "long range" in the OP's post. How long are we talking? With the amount he is looking at spending on a scope, 400-600 yds will be about the limit. A .223 will work just fine at those ranges and cost alot less than a .308. </div></div>

You are absolutely right...I misread, my mistake.

I re-read his OP, and yes, in his budget, $500 WITH scope, he is not getting past 500-600 yards, agreed. Especially not in a .308.

So, you hit it on the head, and my mistake, and I misinformed. I was either assuming he was LR shooting, or I was thinking of another post on a guy that had similar question but WAS LR shooting.

Yah,

I know that economically, and rationally .223 makes probably the most sense....I'm likely to shoot at 100 yards mostly, and maybe 4 or 500 yards if I can find a place. Still, I just like the idea of a full-sized caliber...despite the cost.

I'd rather plink with my 8mm mauser at 50 yards than a .22. Those that know what I'm talking about know what I'm talking about...

Thanks for all the suggestions. I just can't bring myself to spend like 800 bucks though...that's my psychological ceiling.

So...it seems like the savage is probably most likely at this point. Though I still like the idea...rational or not, of a 24 or 26 inch barrel...hence the marlin and mossberg musing.

Am I missing something, does savage sell one of their products with a little longer barrel for around $500? Thanks for all the helpful advice, -Leif

Leif,

Like Jrb572 said, Dick's Sportig Goods has the 700 Varmit on sale for $449.99 (after $50 mail in rebate.) It features a 26" barrel 1/12 twist. The extra 2" can't hurt and you can always have it cut back later or threaded for a muzzle break, etc. and still maintain at least 24" of rifled barrel. It comes with 4-12x50 scope, rings and Leupold bases. You an pick up a PSS stock on gunbroker for around $200 if you want to upgrade for not much money.

The Savage rifles are fiercely accurate so IMHO you can't go wrong with either rifle but I'd definitely get the caliber you want and since the military is currently using the .308 I'd recommend it over the .30-06.

I've always been told to keep something the military is using since you can find surplus ammo, brass, etc. and there will always be some way of obtainiing ammo if things get hard to find. YMMV

Good luck and enjoy!

I would go with the remy but in 7mm-08 not .308 better balistics. and you get to keep the low cost of ammo

edit. needed to quote.

Not having a dig w/ the below post. but perhaps you need to look at what's actually involved in target/longrange shooting (500m is by no means a big distance in this world), and what it may require you to have in order to acheive that goal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leifycake</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yah,
I know that economically, and rationally .223 makes probably the most sense....I'm likely to shoot at 100 yards mostly, and maybe 4 or 500 yards if I can find a place. Still, I just like the idea of a full-sized caliber...despite the cost.
</div></div>
The .223 is a decent sized calibre, give it the due, i've seen them shot out to 1000yd on a still day with surprising accuracy. In fact, out to 400m i'd be more inclined to use it over a .308 for anything target related.
Low recoil means fast follow up shots and being able to spot your rounds, as well as around 2.5 rounds of .223 for every round of .308 being shot due to the significantly reduced cost.
If you're on a budget, you will soon notice that .308/30-06 ammo is nowhere near as cheap as 'full sized' ammo like your Mosin or yugo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leifycake</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'd rather plink with my 8mm mauser at 50 yards than a .22. Those that know what I'm talking about know what I'm talking about...
</div></div>
Yep, well you're asking on a precision forum. The mindset is different.
We see that 8mm as being 'wasted' at 50m, so we push it out to 800-1000m, where it's actually able to utilise that power it was designed to have.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leifycake</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Thanks for all the suggestions. I just can't bring myself to spend like 800 bucks though...that's my psychological ceiling. </div></div>
Well maybe not all at once. Thing is, you won't get anything capable of 300m accuracy for less than about 800. Yes, you can get a mossberg with a scope that, if you're lucky, will be shooting 3" groups at 100m. Most people coming here look to spend a minimum of $1000 on their rifle, scope, rings and sometimes a base. $800 is arguably the lowest possible number most of us could think of to get a range rifle to produce maybe MOA groups if you got lucky.
Arguably, most of us would look towards around spending an initial $1000, with upgrades to a total value of $1500 towards the completion of the project.

You say it's a psychological ceiling as well as opposed to a fiscal ceiling. Please explain?

So...it seems like the savage is probably most likely at this point. Though I still like the idea...rational or not, of a 24 or 26 inch barrel...hence the marlin and mossberg musing.</div></div>
The 24-26" barrel will give you no benefit whatsoever unless you're trying to squeeze extra velocity from a round you're handloading
However if you get a Marlin or Mossberg. The accuracy of those rifles is nothing compared to a 20" savage and hence any velocity gained would be lost as the rounds wouldn't actually hit their target.
Barrel Lenght DOES NOT equal accuracy. In fact, shorter barrels are shown to be more accurate. Fact.

I'd say go with the savage and seriously think about how you're going to scope the rifle for anything less than $250. Scopes are more important than the rifles, as you can't hit what you can't see. Hence why people pay $3000 for a scope to go on a maybe $2,000 rifle... and they're the rational ones.

T/C venture. I've seen them for 379$ with a bobo scope brand new. They offer a moa guarantee. There aren't many upgrades, but it's the cheapest option. It even has a tacticool DBM.