• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Newbie looking to get into a tripod. Need help

JS624

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 10, 2014
Washington
Gents,
looking into buying my first tripod.
pretty sure I'm gonna go with the feisol 3372. But as far as heads go I am lost on which one everyone is using.
since I'm saving some coin on the tripod I'd maybe be willing to go with the RRS head but idk which one to get.
I guess in a nut shell what else do I need besides the feisol 3372 legs.
thanks

Edit: bought the feisol 3372 legs and the RRS bh55 ball head. Thanks for the info

Last edited:
I use the Reaper Grip with the heavy Slik tripod for my .338 LM. Very smooth pan and tilt, easy off hand lock. Very steady platform.

Attachments

• IMG_20170108_132519245.jpg
    IMG_20170108_132519245.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 24
If you don't need to shoot at extreme angles, a RRS leveling head will be more stable, more compact, weigh less and cost less than a comparable ballhead.

If you don't need to shoot at extreme angles, a RRS leveling head will be more stable, more compact, weigh less and cost less than a comparable ballhead.

Don't think I'll need to shoot crazy angles.
it's main purpose will be for matches and maybe whacking small critters.

I actually ran a leveling base at the NRL Craig CO match, and had to borrow a different tripod with a head as the angle on one of the tripod stages was too much. We had a 70 yard target in a drainage, then transitioning to a flat plain, then up to a ridge. Without the head I would have dropped either the near or far target as I didn't have enough elevation in a leveling base.

I have changed from running a leveling base, to using a head because of this type of scenario.

My opinion is that I don't want to give up a very concrete benefit (angular flexibility) for a theoretical advantage (more stability). While there is likely a measurable stability advantage between a leveling base and ball head, I see a LOT of top shooters in PRS/NRL using heads, and not dropping points because of it. My guess is that the measurable advantage is so small most of us are going to be hard pressed to shoot the difference between running a leveling base, and a good head at the distances we are shooting at with tripods in competition.

I went with the new PIG 0311 Tripod from Hog saddle. Was $150 and very sturdy. I use the RRS universal leveling clamp and it’s awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To the OP, I purchased a 3372 with a RRS leveling base to be used with my 20lb AXMC. I haven't been around a RRS tripod yet, but I'm not sure how much you could improve over the feisol. This tripod is incredible. I haven't found a need for any more than a 15 degree tilt in any which way. Sounds like very few people actually have.

I actually ran a leveling base at the NRL Craig CO match, and had to borrow a different tripod with a head as the angle on one of the tripod stages was too much. We had a 70 yard target in a drainage, then transitioning to a flat plain, then up to a ridge. Without the head I would have dropped either the near or far target as I didn't have enough elevation in a leveling base.

I have changed from running a leveling base, to using a head because of this type of scenario.

My opinion is that I don't want to give up a very concrete benefit (angular flexibility) for a theoretical advantage (more stability). While there is likely a measurable stability advantage between a leveling base and ball head, I see a LOT of top shooters in PRS/NRL using heads, and not dropping points because of it. My guess is that the measurable advantage is so small most of us are going to be hard pressed to shoot the difference between running a leveling base, and a good head at the distances we are shooting at with tripods in competition.
Not necessarily disagreeing with your point, but couldn't you just shorten one of the legs in that scenario to create elevation? Not as fast as a ballhead of course, but it's a workaround if you only very occasionally need to shoot at a steep angle.

Not necessarily disagreeing with your point, but couldn't you just shorten one of the legs in that scenario to create elevation? Not as fast as a ballhead of course, but it's a workaround if you only very occasionally need to shoot at a steep angle.

I think a lot of people think that might be the case, but if you shorten one leg to make up for a lack of elevation, the heavy uncentered rifle on top is now has a center of gravity not going down, but to one side. The risk of dumping your rifle into the dirt (and heading down hill) is dramatically increased since it is not evenly supported by all the legs.

The head is WAY faster than trying to manipulate your leg lengths on the clock during a stage. Not only are you wasting time, but you have a serious potential to screw up your stage by making a mistake in adjusting the leg, then having to spend time to get it right again. Something you really don't want to do. Remember most stages are 90 - 120 seconds, if you spend 30 sec messing with your leg you just lost some points and likely timed out on the stage. While you can try to practice to make up for this (like malfunction drills) it is much easier to avoid it instead.

Also, you have to remember, most competitors are looking for anything to shave seconds off their time. That is the primary reason lever based quick release clamps are so popular. The knob based quick release clamps work perfectly well, they are just slower than the levers which is why so many have gone to using a lever instead of a knob.

Finally, I think the speed aspect is equally applicable to hunters as well as competitors. If you have a limited time window (both competitors and hunters have this) spending those precious seconds on making adjustments to the legs instead of quickly to the head may mean not being able to make the shot. My argument is that the potential gain by using a leveling base isn't worth the very concrete down side of limiting your flexibility in angles unless your 100% certain you wont' use your tripod outside of 30 degrees of angle shooting.

I'd suggest the RRS leveling head on a Manfrotto Carbon 055 Tripod.
Flip levers on the Manfrotto legs allow you to quickly adjust leg length for terrain or angle. They need to be cleaned daily with air and a wipe down or they get gritty- but that goes for every bit of kit in New Mexico. I've also shortened the Manfrotto center column with a dremel and reinstalled the center column lock and pivot. The advantage of the Manfrotto is that it's relatively inexpensive, decently sturdy, light and has flip lever legs- which I can adjust more quickly that rotation lock legs.
The RRS head is remarkably stable...a world apart from the Hog or Reaper systems.
I used the above combo at the Steel Safari Team Challenge two weeks ago- for high angle shots and other positions that necessitated a tripod and it's rock solid.
In past matches I've used ball heads, pistol grip heads, Hog saddles, Bog Pods and other improvised solutions that I'm never going back to.
Whatever you choose, practice with it....that will make more of a difference in your performance than the mechanism you ultimately go with.

Last edited:
Thanks guys excellent info.
made up my mind and went with feisol 3372 legs and RRS bh55 ball head

I recently sold a Gitzo with a TA-3 and I'm going back to a BH55. The ballhead is just easier to me. I never ran into not enough travel, but on uneven surfaces the BH just works no matter what. Most of our tripod stages in our local club are in some sort of sitting/kneeling position. The BH is plenty solid for that. I could see an advantage for standing positions with the TA-3. Also the adjustment on the BH feels more natural and let's me flatten the tripod out prone style if needed.

Well I had a 4.5" handle with hook and I couldn't use the last notch on my Gitzo no matter what. I could adjust 2 legs to the lowest setting and one on the second notch but then I didn't have enough tilt in the leveling head. The BH with my Gitzo laid out is close to the same height as my 6-9 Harris. It's like you said, personal preference. There will probably be a time in the near future I'll move back to a LB, but for now the BH does everything I need just fine.

BTW the hook just spins off. RRS legs go 5-7/8" to the bottom of the gun.. With a bit of dirt, lower.

Good info, but I didn't and still don't have RRS legs. I'm also aware the hook came off lol that was still not enough room. I could dig a hole/trench so I could get that low and make an adjustment to the handle I guess. Feels like you are trying to talk me into a setup that I've already had and didn't like that much. It's just personal preference, with my Gitzo 3530 and the BH55 I'll be able to do everything I want just fine. It gets used as a rear support more than shot off of anyways lol

Last edited: