• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Newbie Needs Some Optics

SWirsty

Private
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2011
I just perchased a Savage Model 10 FP-SR .308 and now I need to put a decent set of optics on it. Im not looking to spend a large amount of money. I would say between 200-400 would be fine. The rifle will primarily used for hunting and fun dates at the range. Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: Newbie Needs Some Optics

Falcon makes some pretty good optics. You see them every now and again in the optic sales area of this site.

SWirsty, one of the best bargains on a quality scope are the Nitrex by Weaver TR1 or TR2 scopes available at www.natchezss.com They are discontinued models, heavily discounted and Nitrex has a $50 or $100 rebate on them till March 31.

Have a couple of the Nitrex TR2 scopes and optics in them are quite good and adjustments track well. The TR2 models are basically Weaver Super Slams and the TR1s are similiar to Weaver Grand Slams. Nitrex are less than half the price of a Weaver. Nitrex have same optics and internals as Weavers and made in Japan by a regarded scope maker. Nitrex life time warranty is handled by Weaver. Won't hurt to give them a look and check models still available at Natchez.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 11B3B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Falcon makes some pretty good optics. You see them every now and again in the optic sales area of this site. </div></div>

There's a brand new one for sale here for $35 LESS than the lowest price out there.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2348691&gonew=1#UNREAD

Falcon is a good place to start with tactical optics. You get the features (ffp, mil/mil reticle, tactical turrets) and some pretty good glass for a good price.

Take a look at the Konus M30 6.5-24X50 scope @ SWFA for $299.95.

Check out the Nikon Monarch 4-16x42SF. This is a great buy for the money. the 4-16 is perfect for range time from 100-800+ yards and anything you can hunt. I like a side focus over the adjustable objective as well, less movement when your behind the glass. Nikon also has their Spot On software which works extremely well. You can match your exact load to the reticle and it will generate your ballistic tables and give you a printout of your hold overs for any magnification and any distance you want. I tired it out on a shoot with Nikon in September, they handed me a rifle and scope I had never shot before and I walked out the shots from 100 to 600 yards without a miss. It works, and works well.

Thanks for everyones suggestions. There are a few manufactureres recommended that I havent even considered. I definately want to go with the side focus and TB from OP hit it on the head with what I have been looking at and considering purchasing. I defifinatley want to go with Side Focus and power of 2x-10x or 4x-16x, Id prefer a 40mm objective, I dont mind the 50 as I have a Millet Gold 6-25-56 on my RRA Predator Pursuit.(Love that GUN !!!)

I have been a reader here for a while and decided I should join in the fun and havent been disappointed yet. The knowledge of shooting here is atrnimical and everyone has their "specialty" and discipline. I have only been shooting consistantly for about a year and the max range is only 100 yrds at the range, but I did learn the basics shooting Barnyard .22 BR at 50yrds.

Thanks for everyones knowledge and dont give up on me yet!

Thanks