• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Newbie, New or build on existing action?

nacho libre

Private
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2014
Here's my mandatory aggravate the crap out of everyone thread. I used the shoot tons and I started hunting with a bow and pretty much stopped. I went to the range with my boys and remembered how much I really enjoyed it. I have a lot of rifles. Right now the one I personally shoot are 257 weatherby ultralight, 284 win/Sako custom, 270 win. Ruger Mark II, 22-250 Savage, 300 Rem. Ultra mag, All these are left hand bolt guns. Also shoot a 270 bar .

Of course now I want to build a range gun.

If I buy new, it'll be a Tikka Varmint or a Remington sps. I assume being a lefty that is the only 2 viable factory options?

Option 2. I have a 700 LA that started life barreled as a 7mag, it was then drilled to 7mm stw. It now sits in my gun safe waiting for use.

So which way do I go with a 1000 bucks to spend? New or build(I know I limit the build at 1k)

Thanks in advance.

Nacho

As a lefty you should look at Savage's offerings. They tend to have more variety in terms of calibers and configurations than Remington with arguably (arguably) better average out of the box accuracy. The aftermarket isn't as good however, so keep that in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, I would like to clarify on the build I am limiting 1k to action(I own) and barrel. I have a couple of stocks I can work with and I'll use glass I have for now.

Go with the Tikka. Buttery smooth, great factory trigger. If, as you say, you are looking for a range gun, you don't need the LA. Sell it to help fund your range rifle. Just my $0.02...

I wouldn't get your hopes up too much on finding a T3 varmint in the US, Beretta is no longer importing them unless they changed their mind.

I also wouldn't build a range toy off a magnum action unless you have means to shoot well beyond 1000 yards to use the magnum capabilities to make it worth the increased recoil and reduced barrel life.

If you want a precision range gun I can think of nothing better than a 223AI or even a 223 for average use. With a 1:8 barrel and 75-90gr bullets they're easily capable of 1000 yards, they're extremely accurate, fun to shoot, have almost no recoil and are cheap to load for. 223AI gives you a little velocity advantage, you almost never have to trim brass, and its ones of the easiest wildcats to load for. You could pick up a new 223 Weatherby Vanguard S2 or Howa 1500 (same thing) thats probably the best commercial action to build on for under $500 and for $600 get a barrel and have it spun up. Sell your 7STW for the cost difference and you'll still have money in the bank.

Aren't most the tikkas built off a long action with only the bolt throw changed? At least mine seem to be

Jt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

yes that's true. I am just saying that you don't need a LA caliber for a range gun, and that Tikkas are a great value.

Well, as mentioned the target model Tikka isn't gonna happen. I guess I'm looking to sell the long action and either build or buy. I know it's a crap shoot but what mass production guns (that are available to lefties) are worth the gamble?